Use of Acogs in Real life?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

OpFor

Feeling suicide, thats O.K.
Apr 26, 2001
Visit site
They are also attached to the C8, but are left out on the C9 (automatic fire + 7.62mm rounds + KITE site = black eye :p )
A little off topic, but KITE sites are widly used in Canadian armed forces because of the way they are mounted, Im guessing (sorry, not old enough to join). The ACOG is fitted towards the back of the M16, so it is harder to use it in CQB. Also, I think (not sure) the KITE sight has 100, 200, and 400m zoom. This is all from memorie, so its probably wrong...

St0rmcaller

[AFA]'s unoffical godfather
Apr 4, 2001
United States of America
Originally posted by Gryphon
All Canadian infantrymen are issued C7A1 automatic rifles with flattop receivers and Elcan sights. They are also fitted to all the C9 squad automatic weapons. Iron sights are still made available for all weapons.
[

I've seen the Canadian Army shoot. They need all the help they can get. :D

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
Us dutchies also use the c7 with elcan. That is if you are a marine, in the army IIRC they only issue them to officers, the rest get iron sights, dunno about LMG's though.

Gryphon

Apr 2, 2000
I've seen the Canadian Army shoot. They need all the help they can get.
Shut yer mouth eh, or I'll beat you with my hockey stick or something. No wait, our Olympic team already did enough of that! :lol:

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
The Austrian army issues the StG77(aka AUG) with a 1.5x optical sight, which is said to reduce the time needed to aquire a target and engage it compared to iron sights.
From all I heard (from my friends and my brother who served) it's pretty useful especially compared to the "backup sights".

Don't know if that applies to 4x optical sights too.

Snakeye :D

St0rmcaller

Apr 4, 2001
United States of America
Originally posted by Gryphon
Shut yer mouth eh, or I'll beat you with my hockey stick or something. No wait, our Olympic team already did enough of that! :lol:

:lol:

Sorry Gryphon, but I was too busy BETA TESTING to watch the olympics... You know, working on your team's Mod for UT? You should check it out sometime, you might like it.:D

/me fears teh h0ck3y 5t1ck of Doom.

ShakKen

Specops Spook
Jan 11, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
/Canadian shoots @ sillouette target, making one neat little hole in the head.

St0rmcaller: You call that shooting? Gimme that fo!

/St0rmcaller shoots @ sillouette target, making 3 holes in differant places on the target, 5 holes in the ground, 6 holes in a nearby car and 15 holes in innocent bystanders.

St0rmcaller: That's what us yanks call shooting f0!

;)

OICW

Reason & Logic > Religion
Originally posted by ShakKen
/Canadian shoots @ sillouette target, making one neat little hole in the head.

St0rmcaller: You call that shooting? Gimme that fo!

/St0rmcaller shoots @ sillouette target, making 3 holes in differant places on the target, 5 holes in the ground, 6 holes in a nearby car and 15 holes in innocent bystanders.

St0rmcaller: That's what us yanks call shooting f0!

;)

Then comes along the Superchink with his FAMAS, shooting @ the silhouette, fires three shots, hitting the target perfectly in the head...then realising he's accidently shot St0rmcaller who was dancing around in front of the target with his M16 screaming "YEEE HAWWW!"

Col.Sanders

Oct 12, 2000
Those heavy-barreled M-16s can be phenomenally accurate.

But there are two different applications of scoped rifles you are looking at here. The first is the Israeli model, where a light rifle is fitted with a light scope. This isn't to extend the rifle's range, but increase the shooter's ability to hit small targets common in urban areas.

The second is the current American designated marksman. He's backing-up a sniper, and using the scope to extend the effective range of the rifle.

The Russian SVD ideal is different too-- the DM rifle has more power and range than the standard infantry rifle. The American's ongoing search for a DMR is headed in this direction: towards 7.62mm rifles and away from the 5.56mm. We'll see how it turns out.

They are slightly different roles, and the ACOG isn't really suited to the second.

St0rmcaller

Apr 4, 2001
United States of America
The battle for the Designated Marksman rifle continues in the Marine Corps, so I've come to find out. It's even possible for a return to the M-14. However, it seems the M-16A4 is favored child.

edit: The designated marksman in the US Marine Corps acts within a platoon, and not with a sniper. You'll have to ask Grunt11B about the Army though.

chuckus

Can't stop the bum rush.
Sep 23, 2001
Visit site
Scope for C7 is ok but unfortunately our government skimped on the mount. it's not made for the scope so it tends to get off center quite easily. Requires a lot of maintenace. The gun itself ins't so bad. It's accuracy doens't do the scope much justice tho.

Testimonial from friend in armed forces... p.s. will be able to find out for myself in summer.