Keiichi's review of the Xbox

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
I went down to EB this afternoon to purchase Devil May Cry, and they had a display set up with a working Xbox. On the way out, I stopped to give it a try.

There's been a lot of exageration on both sides of the fence. On the one hand, the Xbox itself isn't as big as everyone has made it out to be. It's almost exactly as tall as the PS2, about 3/4 as wide, and about 1 1/2 times as deep. As for the controller, it is bulky (it looks and feels a little like a Dreamcast controller that's been overeating), but it fit nicely in my hands. I didn't have any trouble reaching the buttons, at least no more trouble than I have with any other controller. All in all, it's not a bad setup.

However, the game was another matter. Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee was the game currently playing. With all the talk of the Xbox's fabulous graphical capabilities, and with Oddworld developer, Oddworld Inhabitants, boasting that only on the Xbox could they truly realize the game's full potential, I was dissapointed with what I was presented. The graphics were nice and crisp, I'll give it that, but the landscapes and draw distances were nothing that the PS2 couldn't do (or hasn't done already, for that matter). The character models were nicely detailed, but the terrain left something to be desired, and the texture work was blurry and indistinct. There also seemed to be a number of graphical glitches, but I'll chalk that up to it being a demonstration version. The game itself wasn't very entertaining either. All I did was run around for about ten minutes, collecting green orbs, flipping switches, and swimming around the many pools of water. When it comes right down to it, I think they should've chosen a different game to demonstrate the system's capabilities, like Halo or Dead or Alive 3. I've never been much of a fan of the Oddworld series, and Munch's Oddysee is no different. I just can't see myself having fun with it. I've heard that there are non-interactive demos of both Halo and Dead or Alive 3 on the demonstration disc, but when I pressed the reset button to return to the main menu, all I got was a black screen with the words INPUT: VIDEO printed in the upper-left-hand corner. I waited around for 30 seconds or so, but nothing else happened so I just left.

In the end, I left the store feeling very much like when I entered. I'm neither dissapointed with the Xbox, nor am I excited about it. It's just another console, as far as I'm concerned.

-Keiichi

Last edited:

Ballistophobia

Hedonistic Forum Panacea
Jul 15, 2000
Middlesex, NJ USA
goatse.cx
First of all, I just wanna say I'm surprised with that first paragraph, Keiichi. I thought it was gonna be Xbox bashing time. :p

Originally posted by Keiichi
...but the landscapes and draw distances were nothing that the PS2 couldn't do (or hasn't done already, for that matter).

Now, don't forget which console has been out longer. Also, don't forget what you were saying when the PS2 debuted, that the games had not come close to reaching the full potential of the PS2's power. You even said that MGS 2 wouldn't take advantage of all the PS2's power. Now, with that said, how can you be so hypocritical to say that an unfinished, demo version of a kiddie game was nothing that a year old console couldn't do? :p

Anyways, I don't think I'll be getting any consoles this year. It really depends on money and when GTA3 comes out for PC/Xbox. :)

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
Now, don't forget which console has been out longer. Also, don't forget what you were saying when the PS2 debuted, that the games had not come close to reaching the full potential of the PS2's power. You even said that MGS 2 wouldn't take advantage of all the PS2's power. Now, with that said, how can you be so hypocritical to say that an unfinished, demo version of a kiddie game was nothing that a year old console couldn't do?

I'm just saying what I saw. Would you rather I lie? Besides, everyone is always making such a big deal out of how powerful the Xbox is and how easy it is to code for. Since it uses DirectX, most developers should already be familiar with the architecture and should be able to get the "most" out of it sooner than they would on the PS2.

-Keiichi

Ballistophobia

Hedonistic Forum Panacea
Jul 15, 2000
Middlesex, NJ USA
goatse.cx
Originally posted by Keiichi
Since it uses DirectX, most developers should already be familiar with the architecture and should be able to get the "most" out of it sooner than they would on the PS2.

That all depends on the developer, not the system. Don't forget, you only saw one game, wait about a month when you try out a couple more. :p

Back on the topic with the controller, how's it differ from the PS controller? I heard it's fairly heavy, in a good way and fits in most people's hands well. All I know is if a controller sux for a console, it ruins the whole thing.

May 22, 2000
Amsterdamned
resolute.gamepoint.net
You want to fucck this????

projectego_screen001.jpg

Dano3000

Apr 28, 2000
Hick part of Arizona
I would have to agree with keiichi, the xbox is like a hybrid ps2/dreamcast.
I have grown alot of respect for the last couple of months based on what ive seen, it seems like every day on ign, there is a new cool looking cube game out. Ive compared screens upon screens, previews upon previews, and the gekko just wont be beaten.
The ps2 is honorable
The x-box, will be somewhat cool
The gamecube is MY dream for right now (and actually nintendo is maturing finally :) )

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
Back on the topic with the controller, how's it differ from the PS controller? I heard it's fairly heavy, in a good way and fits in most people's hands well. All I know is if a controller sux for a console, it ruins the whole thing.

Like I said, imagine a bloated Dreamcast controller with the shoulder buttons moved on to the back and you'll have the right idea.

Fuck the fucking XBox what I wanna know is......

How is Devil May Cry? :D

It's pretty good. Nothing fantastic, but it'll hold me over until Ace Combat 4 and Grand Theft Auto 3 are released on the 23rd, which will then hold me over until Metal Gear Solid 2 is released on the 13th of November.

The game is murder on my thumb though.

-Keiichi

Last edited:

DLL

Chrysolyte
Mar 12, 2001
Bwuuuaaa ha hah ha ha ha

You console boys are gei.

/me runs away ;)

-Thanx for the review Keiichi-