new Nvidia drivers and old games?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
OK, guys, I just tried installing GRID yesterday and it keeps giving me BSODs and all the other games still work. So, it's either the game not liking my system or I need to update the Nvidia drivers from 182.06 (latest stable at the time for UT3 and works with all other older games I have installed, so never updated). I will be installing Rage finally later this summer, so I decided to wait to update the drivers until that time.

My question is will I have any problems once I upgrade my Nvidia drivers to run GRID and Rage? Basically, will I have any problems running UT3, UT2004, UT2003, UT, Unreal Gold, Quake 3 Arena, Quake 4, Doom3 or Painkiller with the new drivers? I'm still running XPSP3 with a GTX280 card, C2D E8600 CPU, Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P MB, 4GB Corsair RAM, Audigy2 sound, and 850W PSU.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
301.42 is problematic for older cards. Do not update to that driver. It halved my performance in almost everything, and it's primarily targeted towards SLI users.

Last edited:

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
9800GT here, same problems. I wish I had never upgraded. Going to roll back as soon as I get time to do it properly. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Would the chipset drivers be upgraded on an old MB at all? Actually, I just checked and it looks like the ones I have installed are from 2008-2009 and there is one from 2010, so I'll upgrade to the new one first. Thanks.:)

Since the 301.42s are out and the 285.58s were released around the same time as Rage, then it looks like I have two choices (296.10s or 295.73s).

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
I've found multiple reports of the newer drivers breaking embedded video, causing the video driver to crash and reboot. This is happening to me too since updating my driver and is my main reason for rolling back. Gives Break.com a brand new meaning....

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
update

I'm still stuck in the UT world and have also split and have temporarily defected to the WOTs world; I'm assuming World of Tanks won't be the game with the problem once drivers are updated. Thought I'd update this thread and find out what's up with the latest Nvidia drivers. Thoughts...ideas?

Yes, Rage might be a disappointment, but I still want to find out.

OK, so I'll upgrade chipset drivers first, then Nvidia drivers and do both correctly of course. But obviously the next thing below will be done first.

Then, I need to make sure the new drivers not only work with Rage and GRID, but also my older games (UT3, UT2004, UT2003, UT, Unreal Gold, Quake 3 Arena, Quake 4, Doom3 or Painkiller). Anyone have any problems with newer drivers and know which ones to avoid or maybe which one will work fine with all these games or even the last driver that doesn't break embedded video? Thanks!

Last edited: