Sprites, Sprites, and more Sprites.....

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Reflection

Nov 11, 1999
Ok. I'v had it. I am trying to do a sprite and I can't get it to work. I tryed it in unreal, and it didn't work. So then I waited for unreal turnament. And it still don't work. All I want is a DT_RopeSprite or a DT_VerticalSprite. Is that too much to ask for?

The problem goes like this:
I have a tree. It's not a model of a tree, its a picture. I want that tree to always face the player. And YES DT_Sprite does do that. BUT.... DT_Sprite also faces the player if they look up or down. So if i am 'FLYING' or looking down from a cliff, the tree looks chopped down (read fell over). I want that tree to stand up. So I only want it to face the player vertically and not horizontally.

Is that too much to ask for???

If no one knows the answer, can someone please give me a e-mail addr that I can us to get ahold of the developers. Maybe they know, since they did make the engine.

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
If the texture used is masked, why not make the tree in the same fashion as you would fire?

Reflection

Nov 11, 1999
I know how to make a sheet brush tree, but that's not the point. One of the reasons I want to use the sprite, is that I can use 'ALOT' more of them than brushes, without adding too big a performance hit.

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
Ok, let's look at this.

Every sprite from every game I've ever seen does exactly the same stuff. And that's look the same from every direction. Coronas, sprite monsters, explosions, etc.

What you're asking is for it to change for each direction. So pull a Doom1 move and write some script so that at angles and below use different pictures. Id did this in Doom1 but instead it was in a horizontal fashion.

Reflection

Nov 11, 1999
Humm, Seems a little trickey to me. Let me get this. I would need a tick that checks the players viewing direction and modify 100+ sprites image based on direction. Could be possible, but sounds a little slow to me. I will try it, but I have a felling I would have more luck going to a model that contains 10-100 objects 'in' one model.

How about the second question...

Got any E-Mail addresses I can send this question to so that the developers can have a look at it?