What is the best thing to do with the maps texture

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

G-Man

Mar 11, 2000
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Visit site
Ok, I've been busy building my map and I have someone who is cool enough (Cerwin_Vega) to check out the map every once in a while to see if he likes how it is progressing. We've encountered a problem:

I have several non standard .utx files (i.e. from other custom maps, swat, infiltrator etc etc) from which I have been using textures. Cerwin tried to load up my latest incarnation and was unable to load it up due to him not having the .utx file.

Should I:

a) Make a .utx file with ALL the textures on the map. If so what is the most efficient way to do that?

b) Attach all entire .utx files with the map when I send it to people. I know this would cause huge downloads but it would eliminate a lot of redundent doubles of textures and avoid .utx file mismatches.

What is the best thing to do?

What is the best way to compile all the textures on my map and make one .utx file from them.

Also what is the quickest and most efficient way to reassign the textures to my map using this new .utx file. I don't want to have to reallign the textures and resize them (I have done most of them manually...) but I'll do it if I have to.

How do I add new textures to this file on the fly (i.e. while I'm editing the map and adding new textures that are in other .utx files) and will adding textures to the .utx file on the fly effect the editor at all?

Mambo

Metallica Head
Mar 25, 2000
Melbourne, Australia
Probably the best thing to do is make 1 texture package. That way, it keeps it simple. I had 3 different texture packages in a map once, and two of them clashed, meaning the level couldn't run properly.

To make one tex package, whenever you import a texture, import it into the package "insert random name here". Make sure each texture imported is imported into the same package name.

Unfortunately, to get rid of the other texture packages, you will have to do this.

1. Export the level.
2. Import it as a new level, but make sure the textures you are already using are already loaded up (excluding the ones you don't want - duh!)
You have to make sure that they are previously loaded because the editor can't remember textures.
3. Now load you NEW tex package, with ALL the custom textures in it.
4. Apply them. Unfortunately there is no shortcut. However, the editor will put the default texture on all these textures, so you know which ones need retexturing. Also, the editor will remember the scaling/aligning you had done to them previously.

Have fun :)

NutWrench

Nov 27, 1999
Visit site
Check your editors log file after you've loaded the map and it should show all the texture packages that had to be loaded (including the custom ones)

--Nut