UT3Dom5, CDOM CBP3 maps and network compatibility

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

WGH

Jan 22, 2006
Moscow, Russia
wgh.ath.cx
I'm not sure who's responsible for this, you or UT3DOM team, but anyway.

One can play CBP3 CDOM maps using final UT3DOM version instead of bundled one without problems in single-player. But not in multi-player.

In short, when one's trying to connect to a server running CDOM CBP3 map and UT3Dom 5 he gets "Package mismatch UTDom" error. It's only reproducible on connect. Players present on the server during map travel won't be disconnected and will play fine (probably they bypass some checks somehow).

Here's my speculation about what happens.
UT3Dom 5 and your bundled package have different GUIDs. It is, in fact, mistake (again, not sure who's responsible for this), as packages should've been conformed.
Map references "bundled GUID", and server sends this GUID instead of GUID of actually loaded UTDom package. Server can't offer "bundled package" to be downloaded, and, as client's out of download options, fails the connection attempt.

Could you rebuild your maps against latest UT3Dom version, or give any other workaround? It's a shame that you did a really awesome work of making such great maps, and they can't be played online. Thanks.

TheSpoonDog

CBP3! Yarrr!
Jun 1, 2001
NZ
spoondog.beyondunreal.com
I have a feeling someone already did do a bundle of the CBP DOM maps for UT3Dom 5 (just after UT3Dom 5 came out), but I can't seem to find the download right now...

Edit: Actually the PS3 version was recooked for Dom v5... the PC links were updated on the same day so I'm assuming those were re-cooked aswell but maybe not. Did you download it after 21 Jan 2011?

Last edited:

WGH

Jan 22, 2006
Moscow, Russia
wgh.ath.cx
Simple reproduction steps. Run on different computers if you want to get the exact problem I described. If you run it on the same computer, you'll get a different error, which is still a sign of the same problem. Make sure you have UTDom package from official UT3Dom site, not bundled one from CBP3. And that there're no UTDom packages in the game cache.
Code:
ut3.com server CDOM-CBP3-CollisionCourse?game=UTDom.Domination
ut3.com 127.0.0.1
If you run it on different computers, you'll get "package mismatch" error. If on the same, it'll attempt to download package and then "error moving file". Also reproducible with CDOM-CBP3-Velocity_v2, which clearly has v2 suffix. Try CDOM-Contrast instead, which is from UT3Dom itself, and everything will be fine.

Interesting excerpt from the logs. It's extremely interesting as I don't have UT3Dom 3.1 installed anywhere.
Code:
ScriptLog: ============================================================================
ScriptLog: [           INITIALIZING a UT3Domination game ...
ScriptLog: [  Version=3.1 $Build: 5.25.00
ScriptLog: [  GameClass=Domination
ScriptLog: [  Settings:
ScriptLog: [    MaxControlPoints=32
ScriptLog: [    NumTeams/MaxTeams=2/4
ScriptLog: [    bUseTranslocator=True, bUnlimitedTranslocator=True
ScriptLog: [    bUseHoverboard=False
ScriptLog: [    bUnlockedVehicles=True, bVehiclesCanCapturePoints=True
ScriptLog: [    bUseMapList=True
ScriptLog: [    CurrentMapName=CDOM-CBP3-CollisionCourse
ScriptLog: ============================================================================

ScriptLog: [    bUseTranslocator=True, bUnlimitedTranslocator=True
ScriptLog: [    bUseHoverboard=False
ScriptLog: [    bUseMapList=True
ScriptLog: [    CurrentMapName=CDOM-CBP3-Velocity_v2

ScriptLog: [  Version=5.0 Build:10.12.14
ScriptLog: [    bUseTranslocator=True, bUnlimitedTranslocator=True, bUseHoverboard=False
ScriptLog: [    bUseMapList=True, bShowPickTeamAtLogin=True
ScriptLog: [    CurrentMapName=CDOM-Contrast

TheSpoonDog said:
Did you download it after 21 Jan 2011?
Absolutely. cbp3_volume3_zip_v2.zip, cbp3_volume4_v2_zip.zip, all from the official web site.

And even if UTDom bundled with CBP3 is UT3Dom5, they're technically different packages. They have different GUIDs. You could verify that by running ut3 PkgInfo UTDom (make sure the package is in installation directory, not somewhere in My Documents).

Attachments

• ut3dom.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 14
  • cbp3.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

WGH

Jan 22, 2006
Moscow, Russia
wgh.ath.cx
Looks like cooking process cooks external packages into a map. That explains how map loads older UTDom version that is not installed otherwise.

Pretty dumb thing, as it prevents code from being updated. Even UDN says that cooking is mostly useful on consoles with slow media. I can't imagine a PS3 owner playing custom maps from a DVD. Maps cooked for a PC.

Could you upload uncooked maps anywhere? Preferably exactly the same ones that were used to cook release ones, as even resave can regenerate GUID (cooking doesn't, though).

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Yeah, some script does get cooked into a map - this is especially true of kismet and it aggravates me no end (why have a scripting language if it gets baked into the level?).

Unfortunately I suspect we may no longer have uncooked versions of all those maps.

WGH

Jan 22, 2006
Moscow, Russia
wgh.ath.cx
I've managed to get past "package mismatch" error. Basically, redirect serves CBP3 edition of UTDom.
Unfortunately, it introduces even more obscure errors. I bet you guys have never seen those:
1345060110-kX.png
It's very odd as, again, players that manage to join server (when another map was being played) have no problems at all.
It seems that something is seriously broken in the engine. Again. :rolleyes:

Request for uncooked or recooked maps is still active, in case anyone has them.

{SW}Snake

Jul 27, 2008
ut3dom.xantaz.net
I'm not sure who's responsible for this, you or UT3DOM team, but anyway.

One can play CBP3 CDOM maps using final UT3DOM version instead of bundled one without problems in single-player. But not in multi-player.

In short, when one's trying to connect to a server running CDOM CBP3 map and UT3Dom 5 he gets "Package mismatch UTDom" error. It's only reproducible on connect. Players present on the server during map travel won't be disconnected and will play fine (probably they bypass some checks somehow).

Here's my speculation about what happens.
UT3Dom 5 and your bundled package have different GUIDs. It is, in fact, mistake (again, not sure who's responsible for this), as packages should've been conformed.
Map references "bundled GUID", and server sends this GUID instead of GUID of actually loaded UTDom package. Server can't offer "bundled package" to be downloaded, and, as client's out of download options, fails the connection attempt.

Could you rebuild your maps against latest UT3Dom version, or give any other workaround? It's a shame that you did a really awesome work of making such great maps, and they can't be played online. Thanks.
Yes you are correct that the packages was not conformed to the newer version. it would not have made any differance. The conforming system has some major bugs in UT3. I have tried to conform packages since the The 1.0->1.8->1.9 but it has never worked. And it was at version 1.9 when I did alot of extensive testing to try to get anything to conform correctly. I have then realized that this is how epic designed UT3 to be.

Code:
You have discovered why conforming does not work in UT3 publishing system. What ever gametype script version you have at the time of cooking the map, that same version will be used! Even if you do not have that same version later when you play the map! The script package is COOKED IN TO the map and expects you to have that exact same version installed. The only was to truely have a map that can be conformed and will all ways use the external script package the player has installed, is to NOT cook/publish your map. Only the UNPUBLISHED version will work correctly.

With all that technical details out of the way, there is a recook of the CBP DOM maps to UT3Dom version 5 in the works.

P.S. I have made too many unsafe changes to the code since the original 1.0 release and even if conforming system did work, I know I have since 2.0 broken binary compatibility

Last edited by a moderator:

{SW}Snake

Jul 27, 2008
ut3dom.xantaz.net
Thanks, trying this too. Is the included "CBP3_Pickups_Ps3.u" file actually needed? (I see there is a "CBP3_Pickups.u" in the Script folder.)

Also of note is the preview pic of each map is gone when select in the Instant Action list.

I was having problems cooking the maps. CDOM-CBP3-Enslaved-PS3 has a utpickupbase actor class from a package named 'CBP3_Pickups_Ps3'. But there is no file with that name. To fix it, I made a copy of the CBP3_Pickups.u file and named it CBP3_Pickups_Ps3.u and then I was able to cook the maps.

So either you guys can go with it and release it with the map or you will have to remove and clean out all references to the CBP3_Pickups_PS3 package. by doing as follows:
delete all pickupbases that are from the CBP3_Pickups_Ps3 -> Save map -> exit editor -> delete CBP3_Pickups_Ps3 -> load Editor -> load the CBP3_Pickups package -> open map again -> place new actors ....

On a side note; just to let you guys know, the package CBP3_Pickups_FX.upk has a corrupted MipMap_1 for one of the materials. I discovered this during cooking the maps it would crash with the log from the Editor says corrupted MipMap_1 and to recook that package with -full
I did have to use the command:
UT3.exe ResavePackages -SavePackagesThatHaveFailedLoads
and that fixed it on my end. I think I included the new resaved version of CBP3_Pickups_FX.upk wiith the cooked maps.

TheSpoonDog

CBP3! Yarrr!
Jun 1, 2001
NZ
spoondog.beyondunreal.com
I was having problems cooking the maps. CDOM-CBP3-Enslaved-PS3 has a utpickupbase actor class from a package named 'CBP3_Pickups_Ps3'. But there is no file with that name. To fix it, I made a copy of the CBP3_Pickups.u file and named it CBP3_Pickups_Ps3.u and then I was able to cook the maps.
Hmm, I think that ps3 version was made just to remove dependency on the bonus pack content. Your workaround should be fine, I think it just means it requires the bonus pack to run.