Fan Efficiency

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
My computers' processor has recently been starting to overheat, so I'm looking into spending some money of fans ect. but I want to know whether buying a single processor fan or multiple case fans would be more efficient. I've been using my computer with the case side off, and the temperatures are about 45 idle and sometimes up to 70 on burn. (I have a 3.2 Prescott P4, which I know can run quite hot).

Basically, would a single processor fan, or multiple case fans be more efficient at cooling the processor?

EDIT: Been looking at maybe buying one of these: http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11258,4294956808,11

Last edited:

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
How much airflow is there in your case when the side panel is on? Unless your case cooling is extremely poor, a better HSF for the processor is the way to go.

The airflow is pretty poor in the case, I have a fan in the front pushing air in, and an exhaust fan at the back - they aren't very good fans though.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Can you blast with compressed air in the direction of air flow, but then use a soft brush/vacuum when going against the flow? I've been using compressed air both ways this whole time.....hmmmmmmm..........

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
Thanks for all the replies, both of the fans are clean, and they're both single speed, running at about 1500rpm, and they're both 90mm. Not sure about the air flow measurement though.

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
Basics really, processor, graphics card, hard drive, optical drive, onboard sound card and two PCI soundcards.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Make sure you don't create a high pressure zone in the case. This has a sucking effect and will cause dust to accumulate rapidly.

P.S: If you're good at making things, perhaps you can try airducts.

Last edited:

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
It is likely that my graphics card is producing alot of heat, but even with the case closed, it has an ambient temperature of about 32C, which would suggest that it's just the processor that's the problem, rather than heat from components accumilating.