animating masked textures in UTED2.0

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

niknik84

May 7, 2005
heya
just wondering if it is possible to create animated masked textures? i can do both of them separately ok, but can't get animated textures to mask (I just end up with a black bg). If so, how do I do this? and with the self-generating animated textures (fire, sparks etc), is it possible to mask these?

oh n one more q about self-generating animated textures: how do i choose a bg texture to implement these onto? eg. the Liquids textures are based on textures from GenFluids and other texture packages

cheers!

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Wow , i don't get it?

n one? No one?

q? Question?

a bg texture? Background?

''oh n one more q about self-generating animated textures:''

What?

You mean , you are writing that witout editing your post?

Last edited:

niknik84

May 7, 2005
Yeah I didn't explain myself too well there, so here I go again...

1) Is it possible to mask an animated texture that I have created (eg mytexture_A01, mytexture_A02 etc)? For example, grass being blown in the wind- It masks fine when it is a non-animated texture, but when I use the same texture file (slightly alterred across frames, but same black background) to create an animation, the black (ideally masked) bit of the texture is always visible. Is there a method or program that can be used to achieve this goal, or is it just not possible?

2) By "self generating textures", I meant the "procedural textures", such as the ones used to create sparks and water ripples. Sorry, I couldn't think of the correct name when I originally posted this. Anyway, my reworded question: Is it possible to mask these procedural textures? An example here is of fire that can be placed wherever I want. When I try to do this, I still end up with the same visible black background as mentioned in my first question.

3) With these procedural textures, how do I choose the texture on which to base it? eg. some of the animating "Liquids" textures use textures from the "genfluids" utx package on which to add the ripples etc. I know it is possible to do this (as shown in my previous example), but I haven't figured out how to do this and always end up using the default background colour (usually black or blue). This may also have implications on my previous question!

Hope that was clear enough, let me know if I need to explain things further and that someone can help clear up these issues for me!

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
1)To mask a texture , youu need to create a texture that will make the oppacity. The white is the solid and the Black is the mask. You do that with a Shader texture , you select the white and black texture and set it as Oppacitiy.

2)I am not sure about the second question , maybe someone will understand , sorry.

3)if you want a fluid looking texture or water , use a fluid Actor and to find a good texture , look inside DOM-Goose.utx , there is plenty of shaded texture in that package , you just need to set the skin from the fluid actor's propreties and you are ok to go. Play around with the fluid setting to obtain the water you desire , and keep in mind the Scale.

EDIT: holy crap , me and my eyes :( ''UTED2.0''

Last edited:

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
Dude hes talking about UT1, youre giving him UT2 stuff

1. see 3. first for the properties window. Get that window for every texture, go to Surface in it and find bMasked True. If that doesnt do it, I think youre screwed :)
Do make sure that you did configure the black correctly yourself in ps, there are various tutorials on that. If you never configured the mask data correctly in ps setting Masked true wont really do a lot ofcourse :)

2. afaik they already auto create a mask all the time, however you really dont want to use that one. For example when you have a fire somewhere you do not set the fire to masked, never. Its ugly and almost all of those procedural textures are meant to be set to translucent or occasionally modulated

3. Go to the procedural textures in for example Liquids, rightclick one > Properties > In that pop up window take the bottom one called Waterpaint and expand it and there you find Sourcetex

niknik84

May 7, 2005
I won't get a chance to test it for a few days, but sounds like the answers I'm looking for. Just the things about the fire, i didn't mean for the fire itself to be masked, just the background behind it (so I don't have to fill up the entire surface with fire), but I think your answer still applies. And yeah, I don't think I've been doing my masking properly, just been lucky with my non-animated masked textures! Thanks a heap!

Oh and Kantham, cheers for your input, even if it wasn't what I was after!