Do i need the cd to run a server?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SgtPayne

Apr 12, 2000
Visit site
I want to run a dedicated server on my machine at work, and play on it from home....(Yes, I purchased the game)...

I haven't even tried, but do I need to buy another copy for this purpose?

Regards,
SgtPayne

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
No you don't need a second CD.

A) If you start the server using the UCC.exe (Read here how to do that), you don't need a CD because AFAIK, UCC does not do a CD check. From what I read from Epic statements, this is considered LEGAL.

B) If you want to start the server from within the game, you can use the well-known no-CD-check to be found for example here . This would be illegal, if you don't own a CD.

bullet2.gif

Got a question about UT? Visit UT ©leaned and check the FAQ!

Temporary Account

Temporarily Permanent
Jan 25, 2000
cosmicmonstersinc.com
Short answer: No.

Long answer: No, once you start a copy of UT running, you can remove the CD and take it to another machine and start another copy. So you could start your server, take your disk out and take it home, and play from there.

You could also get the CD crack at http://www.gamecopyworld.com and install that on your server (after you install the patch.)

You also might want to check out http://www.planetunreal.com/TheAdminPage for tips on setting it up. I've seen links to setting up the server for remote administration w/out the CD. But I'm not sure if they're on The Admin Page or elsewhere, or what they entail.

Hope that helps!

bullet2.gif

-[CMi]Soul-Crusher
www.cosmicmonstersinc.com

Temporary Account

Temporarily Permanent
Jan 25, 2000
cosmicmonstersinc.com
Not if you know exactly what you're looking for. BTW...don't use the little search box, it used to work, but now it sux. Right above it(or below it, can't remember), is a drop down list box. Scroll to the game you want and voila! Easy as pie. (Is pie really easy? I mean..I know the guy in the movie had sex with it, but...er...yeah...n/m /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif)

bullet2.gif

-[CMi]Soul-Crusher
www.cosmicmonstersinc.com