another noob question or two

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wazzoo

Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
i know you probily get asked the same question all the time but..

what is the best graphics type to use glide d3d openglide? specs as below.

btw i was reading the ut bible site and sugested terning of all sort of effect to get best fps rate but i like all the eye candy

what fps should i get with the spec below games says i average 60 fps is the good for my spec.

thanks for all the help and info.

sig_gif.gif

WebSlinger

bNotNegative != False
Feb 29, 2000
Oklahoma City, OK
someone may dissagree, just because my knowledge on this is limited but, Use opengl, use the 2nd CD Special textures and go over to the unreal tech page and download and follow instructions for using the updated OpenGL drivers and INI tweak. Maybe someone will happen along with a URL...

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
Originally posted by Wazzoo

btw i was reading the ut bible site and sugested terning of all sort of effect to get best fps rate but i like all the eye candy

what fps should i get with the spec below games says i average 60 fps is the good for my spec.

sig_gif.gif
As long as you're getting more then 35-40 fps I think the game works fine...if you go below that then consider turning the eye candy off.

Gamma_Sword

Terrible, Terrible Damage!
Feb 12, 2001
Not There
Also, you may consider NOT to use the extra texture pack from CD2 of Unreal Tournament. By installing it, you will run across some weird effects when playing online. So I suggest that you leave the texture pack alone.

Of course, like Swedix said, trying to use Glide with GeForce3 is stupid. So use Direct3D since OpenGL won't be worth much if you don't use second texture pack.

My 2 cents.

WebSlinger

bNotNegative != False
Feb 29, 2000
Oklahoma City, OK
Originally posted by Gamma_Sword
So use Direct3D since OpenGL won't be worth much if you don't use second texture pack.
I use OpenGL with my GF3, since D3D slows the thing down to a crawl. Maybe I'm missing something?

You-Suk|BuF

Getting ready
Originally posted by Wazzoo

am i missing something here ????
the setup your having is awesome and your talking about turning
stuff off ??
jeezz, im running UT with a "puny PIII 850", with all the goodies set high and i'm still getting 80fps (in D3D)
with an average of 55, so just go for D3D don't touch Glide that is for Voodoo cards only and Opengl will give you a better framerate but it is too dark (brightness cheat :D )

and be sure to get the latest drivers for your card and your mobo
via 4-1 drivers

Danny_Diplo

Death By Diplodocus!
Jun 11, 2001
Liverpool, UK
www.dipo.co.uk
You've got a state of the art PC and the latest top-end graphics card, and you don't even who that you can't run in Glide on Nvidia cards? Personally, before spending that kind of cash I'd have done a little research first....

And 60fps is rubbish for your set-up - you should be getting much better. I get more than that on my 1.1Ghz Athlon with GeForce256 (original geFoce 1).

As people have said, get the beta OpenGL renderer from http://unreal.epicgames.com/ and use that. Leave out the RefreshRate=75 line though, and disable v-sync in your video drivers. Also get the latest Nvidia reference drivers and make sure you have the AGP miniport driver installed for your motherboard.

If you don't understand any of that, then visit here ;)

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net
After I installed the textures on the 2nd CD, and configured it, it was prettier but slower. Back to D3D I went. It's not worth it. All this on my TBird 850 + GeForce II. Load times were WAY up. Plus it seemed to do loading during the game (like when I went to a part of the map I hadn't been to yet) causing the 'herky-jerky' shakes. Anyone else experience that?

Danny_Diplo

Death By Diplodocus!
Jun 11, 2001
Liverpool, UK
www.dipo.co.uk
The S3TC textures on the 2nd CD didn't cause any slow downs or pauses for me - benchmarks show it runs at the same FPS with them enabled or disabled. You did edit your UT.ini file and are using the latest beta driver? You could try enabling pre-caching, though I dunno if this works in OpenGL (check advanced preferences).

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net
Originally posted by Danny_Diplo
The S3TC textures on the 2nd CD didn't cause any slow downs or pauses for me - benchmarks show it runs at the same FPS with them enabled or disabled. You did edit your UT.ini file and are using the latest beta driver? You could try enabling pre-caching, though I dunno if this works in OpenGL (check advanced preferences).
Yes, I did. The only thing I haven't tried (and I'm going to soon) is the Nvidia 12.XX drivers. I use my Leadtek drivers or the 6.xx Nvidia ones.

Wazzoo

Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
ok. ok i know i've got a good setup but just cause i ant got it working at top speed yet dont shout at me.. thats why im a noob posting here

well i've changed a few things now in display setting
v sync off

buffer flip page up

mip map best performance

always use 32 bit

now tested ut 1200*900 32 all max ave 90 fps max 120 min 35

thats seems good now
1028*768 all max fps 110 max 150 min 90

opengl.

still not sure as to the mesioned second cd. texture pack
im running 436 from g.o.t.y box comes with ureal unreal mission pack and ut (only one ut cd) is it on there will it be already install ??

and have not change any of my ini file. should i do this??

hope these question are not to dump but got to learn some where.!!

thanks

sig_gif.gif

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net
Somebody yelled at you? Lemme at 'em lemme at 'em!!!!

Hehe I'm sure no one meant to be yelling at you.
Anyway;
GOTY436 with Unreal 1 AND the mission pack? Hmmmm. Never saw that. My GOTY is just 2 CD's. UT and the Bonus CD with CHAOS, RA, and the enhanced texture pack.

You-Suk|BuF

Getting ready
just 1 question, why do you want more then 90 fps ??
the human eye can go no further then 60 fps, so you won't even see the difference

as far as i can see you've adjusted your settings right, but if i was in you're place i wouldn't use Opengl
just stick to D3D, it might give you less fps, but the images are much nicer
like i mentioned earlier, i have a GeforceII and i manage about 80/85 fps with an average fo 45/50

hey nobody is yelling at you and yes we will advice you
as far as i know there are no bumb questions only dumb answers
so if you have anymore questions just ask :D

btw. welcome to the forum n00b ;)

Gamma_Sword

Terrible, Terrible Damage!
Feb 12, 2001
Not There
Originally posted by WebSlinger
I use OpenGL with my GF3, since D3D slows the thing down to a crawl. Maybe I'm missing something?

Heh, pardon my not-so-smartness when it comes to GF3... I wouldn't know, but I just figured GF3 would be better with D3D!

Okay so use OpenGL instead of D3D because the Man said so!

:D

Wazzoo

Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
hi its MR SENSITIVE here, glad to here no one yelling at me, sorry for delay in posting was whatching buffy got to love S.M.G.

as for fps i want as high as my spec shouls give me cause i want my p.c to perform to the max as i paid for it to do. even though i know cant see difference after about 40 fps.

still dont know what this texture pack is and im running the 12.41 driver

and Danny_Diplo memtioned the minport driver that was a prob when first set up system everthing was so slow no agp x4 installed 1.74e driver from ali everthing whent supernova... cool.

thanks the sensitive NooB

sig_gif.gif

Danny_Diplo

Death By Diplodocus!
Jun 11, 2001
Liverpool, UK
www.dipo.co.uk
Glad you've got it working - nice :) You've now got very good frame-rates in D3D so I wouldn't worry too much about OpenGL, though I personally prefer UT in OpenGL. I'm not sure about you not having the 2nd CD - I have the original UT and that came on two CDs, with the 2nd one having UnrealEd on and the hi-res S3TC textures.

However, you can still run in OpenGL using the beta render from http://unreal.epicgames.com/ (the one right at the top of the page) even without using the S3TC textures. And you do need to add these lines to your UnrealTournament.ini file in the [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice] section (replacing the existing ones) :

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
RefreshRate=75
DetailTextures=1
UseTrilinear=1
UseS3TC=1
UseTNT=0
LODBias=0
UseMultiTexture=1
UsePalette=1
UseAlphaPalette=0
Translucency=1
VolumetricLighting=1
ShinySurfaces=1
Coronas=1
HighDetailActors=1
MaxAnisotropy=0
AlwaysMipmap=0
UsePrecache=0
SupportsLazyTextures=0

However, I'd delete the RefreshRate=75 line as this sets your monitor refresh rate to 75Hz hence capping your frame-rate at 75ps. Also, if you're not using the S3TC textures from the 2nd CD then change the line that reads UseS3TC=1 to UseS3TC=0

Hope that helps, and sorry if I was a bit short with you first time - I was having a bad day at work :)