Unreal II to receive network support and more!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
This just in! Unreal II will eventually get a lot of missing features back into the game, thanks to the release of its Beta versions!

First of all, there will be full Network Support in Unreal II, for both SP and MP. This will be achieved by patching the game from 2002 (last official patch) back to Release Candidate 9 or by simply copying the relevant two .dll files to the current Unreal II installation (probably IpDrv.dll and UWeb.dll) and probably several UI scripts for the graphical interface.

Then it will have full bot support back - that is, finished Team Deathmatch, Deathmatch, Capture the Flag gametypes with intelligent bots, and probably even the finished previously Conceptual U2αXMP. Even more - there is an unfinished Tournament ladder, which takes the players into time travels, up to the 7 Day Siege of Earth. This also includes 3 brand new cutscenes, explaining the link between Unreal, UT2003 and UT2004. It even mentions certain facts about UT3, such as Twin Souls.

Moreover, due to the recovery of the lost levels that featured them, the missing weapons - Mind Claw, Skaarj Razik and probably Tractor Beam - will be reintroduced.

Talking about technology, it will have its MP3 support back in as well as 64bit application support (however, the code is identical to that of UT2004, so not much use). Older Beta versions also use the standard .PSK meshes, so they will be a lot more easily ported to UT2004.

Shortly put, all or almost all the cut content from Unreal II will be back in place, as written in these pages:
http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Cut_content_of_Unreal_II
http://unreal2.xsa1.com/about_2.html

So, when will it be released? Due to Legend's bankruptcy and only 5 year copyright license, betas can be published even now; however, due to technical limitations, they will be delayed. It shouldn't take that long, though, but don't expect it sooner than July. But prepare to have a huge download - the full installed Unreal II RC9 is around 8GB - just like UT3!

There might be three questions left: 1. Why did Legend take out all of that brilliant content from Unreal II? Well, nobody knows. Probably so the game would fit on a CD, because DVD weren't much of an option those days. Or maybe so Digital Extremes could get more money from selling UT2003.

2. Is this true? Yes, although hard to believe, this whole thing is 100% true! You can listen to Unreal2.ogg from Unreal II soundtrack wile you wait for the release :)

3. Who has the betas? Well, if I published the name, that person would be attacked by "I want the beta sooner!" messages. If you are 100% sure you won't write messages like that (they will be ignored anyways, I said there are technical difficulties :p ), I could post the name.

Zeji

Nov 8, 2008
\o/ This is great news! I've got a few questions and comments, though.

1. Are the files going to be hosted at some site, or will torrents be used instead?

2. Will this include co-op support?

3. Could the weapons be ported to other Unreal games (I know that the beta includes PSK support, but I was wondering if the weapons also in PSK format)? Will all of the models in the current Unreal 2 be in PSK format in the beta? If so, do they look the same?

4. Does the net code support mean that the original XMP would be playable? If so, could the original XMP be combined with the current one?

5. Lastly, please tell the person doing this that he/she is awesome.

Sorry for all of the questions, but this is too awesome to ignore!

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Wow, didn't expect this...
I thought Atari still had the rights, I remember Matthias Worch telling me that the stuff is probably under Infogrames right still, but that was year ago or more...
I would like to know who is this person as well (or you can pm me, I told you even earlier but you did not say who was it), I wonder if this actually helps getting the Unreal PSX stuff released as well (it was developed by Pterodactyl), because the developers stopped talking since like three weeks ago, well except Matthew Kagle and James Hamer-Morton, and the project lead was aware of legal issues....

Also, what about OpenGL support and support for other OS in that matter (D3D is windows only)?

So, the publishing deals have expired? They didn't make another deal? Is this entirely legal also? Did they put it in public domain? The rights or something.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
\o/ This is great news! I've got a few questions and comments, though.

1. Are the files going to be hosted at some site, or will torrents be used instead?

2. Will this include co-op support?

3. Could the weapons be ported to other Unreal games (I know that the beta includes PSK support, but I was wondering if the weapons also in PSK format)? Will all of the models in the current Unreal 2 be in PSK format in the beta? If so, do they look the same?

4. Does the net code support mean that the original XMP would be playable? If so, could the original XMP be combined with the current one?

5. Lastly, please tell the person doing this that he/she is awesome.

1. They will be hosted. Not sure where now, but they will be downloadable .exe installer files for sure. Basically those betas are patches.

2. Yeap, it will! :D

3. Not sure about that... I believe that not all weapons will be there (probably Pistol will have its old style? And maybe we'll have the LeechGun instead of Spider Gun?), but should be something. Gotta ask for clarification on this one.

4. Yes, U2aXMP will be fully playable both offline (you bet, bot support!) and online. But no, it's not compatible with the standalone U2XMP because they use different branches of the engine. However, I believe that we could port maps and such to U2aXMP, and remake the standard XMP gametype there.

5. Already done! :D

Oh sweet I still have my pink name.
Well, you're Pinkey for a reason ;)

I would like to know who is this person as well (or you can pm me, I told you even earlier but you did not say who was it), I wonder if this actually helps getting the Unreal PSX stuff released as well (it was developed by Pterodactyl), because the developers stopped talking since like three weeks ago, well except Matthew Kagle and James Hamer-Morton, and the project lead was aware of legal issues....

Also, what about OpenGL support and support for other OS in that matter (D3D is windows only)?

So, the publishing deals have expired? They didn't make another deal? Is this entirely legal also? Did they put it in public domain? The rights or something.

Sure, you already know that person, I'll PM it to you :)

Not sure about that either. I guess that it will be pretty much like UT2004 is - x86 version will have D3D8 API, while the x86_64 version will have additional support for OpenGL and D3D9. But, like I've said, not sure, have to ask about this.

The license by which that person got the betas stated that they are not to be published until 5 years after the release of the final game or if the developers go bankrupt. Both of these are true now. Furthermore, the license said that he is not allowed to publish the .dlls for network support ever, unless the developer goes bankrupt - and what do you know, this is exactly what happened! :D

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
One more thing: Are the alphas avaiable? The 2000 and 2001 ones, in the early developement.. Would like to check these out since they were lot different. The 2000 version ran on Uengine 1.5 even.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I told this to someone and he doesn't beleive any of this, until it will be released.
He said it sounds too good to be true actually and that he hopes Epic won't sue our asses over this...
I always asked where I could etc for permissions and stuff...now if this turns out to be a problem...or you should perhaps release it outside beyondunreal rather than taking risc...perhaps I am being paranoid here but...dunno about this

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Correction to Zeji's question #1: They will first be in torrent format due to bandwidth limits in Canada, but they will also be uploaded to FileFront or something of the likes shortly after.
Also question #3: There were ~6 weapons when they had PSK support, one being the Spider Gun (Leech Gun).

And the answer to Leo's concern is in the thread about Unreal: http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=186659#9

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
More news: it seems that RC9 also has this weapon:
http://unreal2.xsa1.com/images-dynamic/SepShot05.html
http://unreal2.xsa1.com/images-dynamic/cover1.html (the merc to the left)
You can also see it in Unreal II splash screens. It's basically like a Minigun from UT; the name is unknown yet.
Furthermore, in the screenshot above, you can see bloom. It's really rendered; however, it's not really optimised and lags a lot.

Also, there are 3 U2aXMP maps in RC9: 1 final and 2 unfinished. Plenty of space for porting U2XMP maps there :)

Now to answer some questions: Unreal II betas don't have OpenGL support for Windows; however, an unfinished port is present in Alpha 7 of Unreal II, and it uses OpenGL .so libraries, which make OpenGL support Linux-only.

Zeji

Nov 8, 2008
I always wondered what that weapon was supposed to be.

I forgot to ask before, but are the Striders, Armored Izarians, N, and Shian in game? Do the Skaarj appear in XMP?

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2004
Maybe we will see alot of players come back to check this out. XMP Lives????

Did you just say there will be bots in the multiplayer?

Bleeder

Co-Founder, U2XMP [Ч] Clan
Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
If it helps... a few years ago some bonehead left their ftp server unpatched and I was able to leech probably every XMP beta there ever was (including the beta keys to make them work). Of course, that same person and probably several other of the XMP beta testers (hi Jackal) most likely could produce the same files.

Mar 6, 2004
I am guessing this will have a UT feel to it, no? since it was already said this game wont be like our XMP.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I forgot to ask before, but are the Striders, Armored Izarians, N, and Shian in game? Do the Skaarj appear in XMP?
Striders and Shian are there, N probably too (because Mind Claw is there). As for others, have to doublecheck.

Did you just say there will be bots in the multiplayer?
Yes. In fact, there are bots in multiplayer in the current Unreal II as well.

Interesting, btw who created the "Lore".
EPIC or Digital?
What lore?

I am guessing this will have a UT feel to it, no? since it was already said this game wont be like our XMP.
No, it will have a very different feel from anything :D It's a lot more strategic, but allows you to go and shoot without thinking as well :D Anyway, it will be easily possible to recreate the current XMP gametype there, it's just a matter of downgrading some things.

Mar 6, 2004
Would there be a way to bring back u2xmp's movement to this XMP?

BTW i have spread this to alot of people already, that's what i am good for...spreading the word.:) I should also update the XMP xfire community i made with the news.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
With UnrealScript knowledge, everything is possible :D But how is it different anyway? Except that you get the jet packs only when you research them. Makes much sense and use for force walls IMO.