"Expanded Onslaught"

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
something's already going on with the devs.

who is that in your avvy??

Dead_Metal

I'm something - But I don't know what.
Feb 13, 2004
Dai wanna join with our dev team on developing stuff for XMP - this is basically just the community doing what they do to expand XMP farther. Cause we have mappers and some coders, even a modeler and skinner here and there. So if you haven't seen the "new wave" post, check it out - and yah IF you make it sound reasonable (XON that is) I'll gladly support it, but lets remember to keep it XMP :}

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
the devs are working with people in the modding community on something that should give you a hint.

Dragon_Myr

Mar 4, 2004
Where is this going on at? I see no other mod currently in production that's any further than we are.

Major-Lee-High

Im a ranter, ignore me!
Jun 27, 2000
The Dark Tower
www.modcentral.us
A xmp mod for ut2k4 would be really cool, but just cloning it straight over wouldnt be imo, ill go read that thread later heh.

I really loved most of the XMP concept but there would be things i wouldnt want in it again... or atleast have them diffrent. Like the classes, need to just go ahead and have all teh original TF ones or at least the ones that were combined in xmp's 3, and the artifact gametype which is fun, sometimes, could be added in but need ctf too (xmp with ctf would have pwned artifacts imo, more people would have played too).

Sir_Brizz said:
the devs are working with people in the modding community on something that should give you a hint.

Hmm interesting, hopefully they are making a new master server haha (i thought it was fine but i guess i just had alot of favorites still hehe). I wanna play the CBP :(

Dead_Metal

Feb 13, 2004
Major, no, i'm not gonna respond to that at all, its too beneath me to do so.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Dead_Metal said:
Major, no, i'm not gonna respond to that at all, its too beneath me to do so.
And then you guys wonder why there's not more XMP players. With a shining beacon of a community like this, it's no wonder.

Dead_Metal

Feb 13, 2004
Major-Lee-High said:
A xmp mod for ut2k4 would be really cool, but just cloning it straight over wouldnt be imo, ill go read that thread later heh.

I really loved most of the XMP concept but there would be things i wouldnt want in it again... or atleast have them diffrent. Like the classes, need to just go ahead and have all teh original TF ones or at least the ones that were combined in xmp's 3, and the artifact gametype which is fun, sometimes, could be added in but need ctf too (xmp with ctf would have pwned artifacts imo, more people would have played too). :(

Basically he is saying to make an XMP based game and put it on ut2k4 without the classes. - Classes are what make XMP so ****ing good, not only that but also its the fact that its XMP and not ut styled, so why take the best of two worlds and make it into something else? - u know ppl who eat too much candy (good thing ya know) end up suffering for it. - plus why not make ppl who purchase ut2k4 get XMP on their own

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
I wish they would just tell us what is going on... the suspense is killing me.

In the meantime, my education in XMP is serving me well in Onslaught :D

Dai

Orgasmetron
Apr 2, 2000
Finding a new low
Visit site
Dead_Metal said:
Basically he is saying to make an XMP based game and put it on ut2k4 without the classes. - Classes are what make XMP so ****ing good, not only that but also its the fact that its XMP and not ut styled, so why take the best of two worlds and make it into something else? - u know ppl who eat too much candy (good thing ya know) end up suffering for it. - plus why not make ppl who purchase ut2k4 get XMP on their own

What we've talked about is to have a class creation system.
You drag and drop a bunch of weapons, armour/mobility specs and abilites (hacking speed, heal, etc) to create something that suits your way of playing better - rather than being forced into some predetermined "class".

The challenge here is, of course, to keep it all balanced.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
It would probably have to be done in a manner similar to Master of Orion 3's race tweaking mechanism.

Think in terms of speed, armor, offensive power, things like that, and whatever you add or subtract from multiple categories, and to OK your class you need to have a zero balance.

For example, heavy armor would increase your armor rating but decrease your speed. Increased hacking speed might be a plus to your offensive power and a minus in your armor. Or maybe even JUST a plus to offensive power, since the automatic balancing factor would be that you would have to give up weaponry or offload some armor to reach a net zero.

My two concerns:
1). Supply packs / use-to-heal should be left in the base model for classes, I don't want to see 20 ppl on a server with weapons packs and no healing ability.
2). It has to be done very carefully to make certain that there's not some uber-class sweet spot that ends up being the perfect combination that everybody uses :yawn:

Dead_Metal

Feb 13, 2004
If you can force a carry space on em, and an equipment thing on em, sounds probable but you need that in order for ppl to keep it balanced, as well as adjusting it so a ranger who can run fast can't hack like a mofo and snipe...........the thing with XMP is that its balanced all around. So u have super fast sniper but easy kill, with average super hacking defensive tech, who is well kinda easy to kill, and u have slow powerhouse gunner that isn't too easy to kill. So keep that in mind, plus your asking to bring in a whole new gametype taht has similarities to Onslaught with stuff from XMP without the classes? - why not just make a new game type with UT2k4 when it comes out monday? that way u don't really have to do anything cept change onslaught and add a stat tweaker.

Dai

Orgasmetron
Apr 2, 2000
Finding a new low
Visit site
what makes XMP good certainly isn't the classes... I wouldn't mind cutting the classes out entirely, but the class-customization element has been rather well recieved, so it's probably staying.

What makes XMP good are those rare instances where you can ignore that it's basically CTF on steroids, and that you've won because you've drained the enemy team of energy.
That's the main element we're bringing over from XMP.

why not just make a new game type with UT2k4 when it comes out monday? that way u don't really have to do anything cept change onslaught and add a stat tweaker.

I'm not sure what you mean.
It's not like we're porting any actual content over from XMP anyway. We're just taking some of the good ideas from XMP, tweaking it and ignoring the rest of the bad ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.