Week 2 of UT.. were's the BUZZ?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EASY_Target

Nov 27, 1999
Visit site
Well I dutifully purchased UT and installed it next to my Unreal and Tribes on my HD.

Why am I not as excited playing UT as I was when I first played Unreal and Tribes? Where is the passion I used to feel for this stuff gone to?

Hell maybe I am getting too old for this stuff..maybe I am just getting jaded, don't get me wrong here UT is a kick *** game and everything works reasonably well with it... so what's the problem here?

It this what middle age crisis is for FPS?
Anyone else feeling a little frayed around the edges...lately?

These games are just getting better and better so it's not the games at fault here..probably just human nature..maybe once the novelty wears off ..it's tough to keep "it up"..know what I mean.

I still get a buzz when I get into a good match..but just doesn't seem to last as long.

Personally I know a lot of people here are feeling this passion I felt 2 years ago when I first played Unreal..I envy you..use it and don't loose it.

IT'S A GREAT TIME TO BE A NEWBIE !! /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by EASY_Target (edited 12-02-1999).]

The Gravedigger

Nov 25, 1999
Easy, lik most of the world don't have UT yet, so I can only comment on the demo.

I think the BuZZ isn't the same 'cos there's so many good games about now. Back when Unreal was released the only thing that was even remotely in the same league was Q2, and that was stale even then. I think the thing is people are also playing Q3 and other leading edge games now.

bullet2.gif

{L}Gravedigger - Diggin yer soul -

"just one more cumsucking lowlife IDBastard!" - ^Stormi^

underdog

Nov 25, 1999
Unreal Planet
Visit site
This game is awesome! I have been playing
**computer** games for about 6 yrs now and I
must say that when Unreal came out , to me it was awesome and still is but after playing it
a jillion times it kinda wears off BUT I still love Unreal. Now, having said that I
DN the demo about a month ago and it drew
me in like no other ever did :)
Then I got the full version as soon as it came out and that drew me in EVEN more. I
must say that this game is the best that I have ever played (to me) I am losing sleep
all the time, my family just sees me once in
awhile and the only bad part is that I have to go to work /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif the games that I enjoy are
combat flight-sims and FPS ! I think what you might need is to have some friends playing also as that would really make it better IMHO.

Exorcist

Nov 26, 1999
Munich,Bavaria,Germany
Visit site
Its no wonder...you played the Demo for
month...you was looking for this amazing game,what it have to be with sutcha demo.
The Levels of the fullversion are not that
different from the Demo...there is nothing
new. Maybe youre bored of it?

Simulacrum

Nov 10, 1999
Visit site
Part of the kick newbies feel inheres in learning all the conventions that apply to fps games. Things like rocket launchers and bio rifles are brand new to them. So are the concepts of power-ups and even just moving around in a 3D world. For this reason alone, a shooter game is an amazing thing. You're moving around in a dangerous environment, and you're getting better at defending yourself. That's exciting.

Veteran players lose the ability to marvel when they realize that fps shooters constitute a genre and rarely deviate very wildly from other shooters. They begin to think comparatively (Quake is better than Duke Nukem because it has real 3D models, etc.) Once you've seen that two spreadsheet programs behave pretty much alike, you develop a critical eye and a vocabulary for spreadsheet programs. Same thing with 3D shooters. After three or four years of picking up health and keeping track of frag counts in twenty different games, it would be a wonder if people didn't become jaded.

L_S

Nov 24, 1999
EASY what keeps the cyber blood flowing is competition. Sounds like maybe you are not getting enough, try joining a clan or set a goal to achiece a certain rank in the ngstats.

bullet2.gif

If you have any problems with what I just said then I welcome you to click here.

MOGbert

Nov 10, 1999
USA
This might have nothing to do with this topic, but one thing i kind of miss about Unreal is the way its [usually] slower pace allowed more time for chatting and joking around during online games. With UT, it just seems that the game move too fast for that, plus there are usually ^@%$#^ bots around that don't know not to kill someone who's typing. Just a little personal observation.

Anyway, as more custom maps get made for UT, maybe the magic factor will start to come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.