Scientists are confirming what I always knew...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
They didn't say why the response to noise couldn't be a learned trait. Reflexes can change with certain activities. Eye hand reflexes can improve with gaming for example. Therefore, they need to prove that the response to sound stimulus is not affected by "learned behavior." A daunting task in of itself.

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
Another recent study though found the opposite.
Though I don't see who the hell cares. The homophobes are always saying its a choice yet disregarding that such a choice is one people are free to make.

Either way its a persons right.

DamienW

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir
Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
FeelTheUniverseXXX said:
I look at studies like this, and my reaction is always the same.

"So what?"

Well, some people could use this info for their own purpose. Not that it matters, you could use either conclusion against gays.

- people are born gay : "those freaks are a dangerous error of nature, and should be eradicated, or at least kept apart from normal people, so that the human race remains pure."

- people are not born gay, they chose it : "These perverts are responsible of their sick preferences. What kind of sickos are they ? This is disgusting."

And so on...... It just make people with weak arguments think that they have something to support the said arguments.....

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
Until they can map the gene that "causes" gayness, I still contend that its due to environment (or in some cases conscious choice).

Also, I don't know why some people are so anxious to prove that gayness is genetic ... so is retardation and insainity, but that doesn't make them "good" things. I don't see how this proof will help gays gain acceptance (which is what I believe drives most of the research in this field).

DallasStarsRule

making personal insults since 1999
Nov 7, 2001
Toronto
www.teammuf.com
Hah, I only said that to hopefully annoy sidewinder, who I think has been reading too much Mein Kampf. I really dont a crap either way.

To play devils advocate though, lets look at this famine in Africa thing. Does what I said really sicken you? Your statement means you're either:

1) Saying it does because, "Hey its a starving african child, its socially right for me to say I feel injustice!" In which case you're just a poser.

2) It actually does bother you, to the depths of your soul, that you're eating that bagel and a gazillion africans are starving. In which case, your morals are shining, but your sense of proportion and realism arent.

I mean, have you BEEN to africa? Have you met these people? That skinny kid could be the biggest jerk you've ever met. For all you know, he could be plenty happy. Yet you're going to donate money, clothes, food, just because he's thinner than you are? To me, thats stupid. Awfully nice of you, but stupid.

Is there really nothing higher on your list than sending your earnings to some stranger you'll never meet on the other side of the globe?

Personally, I dont care. Why should I care? I didnt cause their problems. Wasnt my ancestors who ****ed up Africa. It was YOUR ancestors, if you're of European descent. Sure, I'd help them if they came up to me on the street. I give money to bums all the time. I've given half a bottle of vodka to a bum. But I've never met a starving African kid on my way to class. Because they're in Africa.

Why care? Why? Am I missing some sort of conscience, if I dont care that a stranger is starving across the globe? Is it wrong that I dont care? I have my own goals and my own problems to deal with.

This isnt to say I'm some sort of evil hateful person. I'm a very nice person...I was voted 'nicest' in high school. Being 'nice' however, doesnt mean you turn into this huge sucker who screws themself for no reason.

Its like those guys in the middle ages who walked around whipping themselves, because they thought that there was a finite amount of pain the the world. Flaggellants (sp) I think they were called. Helping african kids is like whipping yourself.

Besides, our capitalist society pretty much eliminates 'humanitarian' as a way to get rich and powerful. Help the african kids at my expense? No deal! I'll take care of myself and those closest to me, I'll be nice to people I meet, and thats all I think I'm obligated to do.

Now keep in mind, I dont really like most of you, so the more enraged you get, the better :p .

DallasStarsRule

making personal insults since 1999
Nov 7, 2001
Toronto
www.teammuf.com
lol gnat

theres some research I can use

When did people stop just being proud to be openly gay anyway?

Seems to me studies like this are more for people who want to convince themselves that gayness is natural, rather than to convince others.

MetalMickey

Banned
Jul 30, 2000
Dublin
Now keep in mind, I dont really like most of you, so the more enraged you get, the better

Enraged? Try bored. Your tired efforts at trolling us fall short of the mark.

Must try harder. D+