JB Maps

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
No offense to the creators, but they could be a bit better in the area of optimizing.
I have a GF2 MX400(64MB) and I get about an average of 25fps on them, whereas other large maps I can maintain 40fps or better.

They're good maps, but could use a little tweaking(maybe some distance fog?)

tkmaster

Mar 14, 2004
Keltare said:
No offense to the creators, but they could be a bit better in the area of optimizing.
I have a GF2 MX400(64MB) and I get about an average of 25fps on them, whereas other large maps I can maintain 40fps or better.

They're good maps, but could use a little tweaking(maybe some distance fog?)

Um its called get a better videocard...

the mx series is utter crap
the reason why you get low fps is because the map is using something the videocard cant handle well

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Think about this, if I could afford a better card, I wouldn't have this POS gf2.
Back on topic tho, some distance fog would probably give the best benefit(even if it doesn't hide a lot)

Torlan for example, I can look from the base sniper tower to the comm tower and maintain 35-45fps without the fog reducing the visibility too much

Birelli

meh...
Oct 14, 2001
Syracuse, NY
Are there any maps in particular that you think need optimizing? Since every map is by a different author there isn't a lot of team control over those kinds of issues, but if there are specific maps that could use some looking into the authors of those maps might be able to help.

RevBillyG

Taking over the world.
Nov 10, 1999
All my maps were tested on an Athlon 600@750 mhz 256mb RAM a GF2mx400 and some FPS-sucking bots.

The FPS weren't high that's for sure, but they ran. :)

ZedMaestro

Useless
May 18, 2003
Dorset, England
Visit site
It really would help if you stated which maps needed optimizing. My two maps:

SavoIsland:
This has been optimized as much as possible. It has 35 Antiportals, which officially is too many, but thankfully most are occluded by others, so its ok. I cant add anymore, or low-CPU machines will struggle to work out what not to draw. With DistanceFog, I cant reduce that any further, or else meshes will start popping up as you get near them. The range I've set prevents obvious popping up of meshes. It does make a surprising difference too!

Conduit:
I've zoned the map as much as is realistically possible, and there are antiportals in place too. Again, no more optimization can be done here. I acknowledge that it is possible to view right from one end of your base to the other, but this is in very few places.

The map I have most problems with optimization is Arlon. Too much BSP is visible in certain places. But other than that, my pc can handle the other maps ok.

tkmaster

Mar 14, 2004
well optimizing is really depends on who is running it...
i have a geforce 4 ti and i get really good fps from the maps....

yes on your side yes it may look like it needs optimizing
on my side it doesnt need optimizing...

Thing is the geforce2 mx series is the lowest you can get and it meats the bare minimum of the games needs

and when you reach that you will definatly start getting performance issues

-=DARCHANGEL=-

Burning in Hell and loving it!
Optimization on JB

Ever tried turning of the DETAIL DYNAMIC TEXTURES in the HUD settings for JB?

Helped a few people I know on lesser spec machines.

I have several people that run GF2MX400 64Mb cards and they happily run 800x600@16 (not brilliant I know, but acceptable)

SavoIsland -
No problem, but occasionally jumps in places (graphics problems are covererd in the www.tweaktown.com guide)

Conduit -
Smooth as a smooth thing on smooth pills that went to the college of smooth run by the professor of smooth himself.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Mychaeel

That "dynamic textures" setting will only help on certain maps and there only in certain spots near the jails.

We added it because a tester's notebook's frame rates dropped to 4 fps or so when he had one of those dynamic "screens" showing player positions which are in some of the jails rendered on his screen. Other than freezing those screens, it has no effect whatsoever on UT2004's performance.

WhiteRaven

Jul 22, 2004
Hungary/Pécs
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum, so please tell me, if i am doing something wrong!
The mod and the maps are pretty good.
So why am i here? I am here because a bug in the CastleBreak map. There u can go underground (under the soil) somehow, and from there u can shoot anyone u like and go anywhere u want. Please do something,because some lamer cheaters use this bug --> own the server and we can't even harm them underground!

Trueblood

Silly Brit
Jan 19, 2003
Brighton, UK
www.yourass.com
WhiteRaven said:
I am here because a bug in the CastleBreak map. There u can go underground (under the soil) somehow, and from there u can shoot anyone u like and go anywhere u want. Please do something,because some lamer cheaters use this bug --> own the server and we can't even harm them underground!
Raven, you should send this information straight to the forum moderators and maybe the mapper. :)

ProjectX

Nicholas 'ProjectX' Udell - UnWheel Maps
Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
ZedMaestro said:
It really would help if you stated which maps needed optimizing. My two maps:

SavoIsland:
This has been optimized as much as possible. It has 35 Antiportals, which officially is too many, but thankfully most are occluded by others, so its ok. I cant add anymore, or low-CPU machines will struggle to work out what not to draw. With DistanceFog, I cant reduce that any further, or else meshes will start popping up as you get near them. The range I've set prevents obvious popping up of meshes. It does make a surprising difference too!

Conduit:
I've zoned the map as much as is realistically possible, and there are antiportals in place too. Again, no more optimization can be done here. I acknowledge that it is possible to view right from one end of your base to the other, but this is in very few places.

The map I have most problems with optimization is Arlon. Too much BSP is visible in certain places. But other than that, my pc can handle the other maps ok.

Sorry to sound offensive but I've successfully managed to place fog in a map at a max distance of 1024 (It was a map with dense fog) witout any mesh popping and I happen to know that Savo Island's one must be at least 4000 so what you just said about mesh popping is utter BS.

If I'm wrong, which I hope is the case, then fine by me prove me wrong, If I'm right and with those rocks in the way you could easily decrease the fog distance without harming the visual aspects. Provided the skybox colour matches the fog colour on the sides of the skybox (I recommend using a skybox with a shader, constant color and opacity map, like duplicating the shader from cp_HELL.tex and replacing the diffuse with your own constant color and apply it to the fogring in cp_nightmare.usx)

I hope you treat this as constructive criticism and not trolling

bob181

Aug 17, 2005
Just a thought, what video driver version are you running? I have found different drivers will give you faster frame rates depending on the vintage of your video card