my sound went echo-crappified

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Pat

BANNED
Dec 14, 2001
A Bubble
in almost all games my sound is echoey, it is not as much in some games (soul reaver 2) and its HORRIBLE in some others (UT)
i have a soundblaster audio pci 128 and a geForce 2 and 256 ram on my comp 1.4 proccesser and winME
ive evan tried reformatting my comp. el helpo!

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
www.unrealannihilation.com
things i would suggest you do:

• Be sure your using the latest DirectX
  • be sure you have the latest drivers
  • check the card for dust (blow off) and that its firmly mounted in the slot.
  • try swapping it out with another card, and see if it still echos.

arcanex

teh grinning totem
Sep 28, 2001
I get crappy sounds in apps that use hardware acceleration, I mean the sound itself slows down and stutters badly.....but it only happens when I have my USB phoneline network adapter plugged in the USB port. I think it's a motherboard problem (old mobo and video card and sound card) but maybe somebody else has had this problem and gotten new drivers or something to remedy this....?

Pat

BANNED
Dec 14, 2001
A Bubble
if i listen to mp3's or .wav or .midi or any other sounds outside of games they sound just fine.

The Twiggman

Instagib 4 Life
I had this happen but it disappeared

I had this happen before, i downloaded weapons factory arena for UT and i went to play it and all the noises and everything were echoing it lasted for about a week, quite annoying and then it just disappered when i was fiddling around with the 3D sound hardware thingy in the preferences.It that is any help i dont know.

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
My version is still doing this. Plus the health-pickup sounds won't play. Plus it plays back voices at funny speeds sometimes. It wasn't Weapons Factory though, some other mod started this happening. (But it all works OK in the Single Player Ladder).
Some maps are worse than others.

Pat

BANNED
Dec 14, 2001
A Bubble
no no no i dont think you guys read my whole post, my sound is bad in ALL games that use direct 3d

arcanex

teh grinning totem
Sep 28, 2001
Just Direct3D, not OpenGL or software rendering?

If you have DirectX8, there's an control panel thingy you can get that lets you turn off debugging stuff for DirectSound that apparently slows down games. I tried it, it didn't fix my stuttering problems but some people has had success with it. Also if you have DX8.1 you don't need it since MS fixed it by then.

Did you dl new drivers or install new stuff or did the problem just showed up all of a sudden?