Rogue's Second Political Poll- Ah, the stupidity of school...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Are schools teaching children to accept fascism?

• Yes!

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Hell Yes!

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • I claim to be a liberal but instead support suppression of human rights and indoctrination of childr

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
This isn't so much a political poll as it is my rant...

So my English teach wanted me to write a narrative essay about some event in my life. I wanted to be original, so I had the great idea of writing my paper on writing the paper (a paradox :}). By doing that I also joked about how I did that because I could not think of anything important in my life because of my sleep deprivation, which was basically my commentary on how the way our school forces us to wake up at 5:30 am everyday is unhealthy and a violation of our rights to have reasonable access to life's requirements, sleep being one of them. I also refer to the assignment, when writing about how I'm writing it, as "worthless and pathetic", which it is. It has no educationaly merit whatsoever. Its nothing more than busy work. In fact, although my paper has a somewhat humorous topic being a paradox and all, it has a lot of commentary on how schools violate the rights of students on a regular basis and how schools aren't made for education, but rather propganda camps for our government. Well my English teacher thinks that I need counciling now, because she implied from my statement that I couldn't remember anything worth writing about in my life (which was part of the joke anyway) as me thinking my life is worthless. She also got mad because I pointed out the stupidity of her assignment. She got even more mad when I pointed out to her that that is just shooting the messenger. So my poll question is, are schools just fascist indoctrination camps in which children are taught to give up their rights, accept punishment for originality, and learn to never question authority no matter how wrong that authority is?

RogueLeader

Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
Oh, here is a bit more I should have gone into detail on- I am getting a 0 on the paper with a change to rewrite it. I am going to take the 0 on principle. The paper was supposed to a narrative essay. She says it wasn't a narrative. it clearly was, because a narrative includes action and writing a paper is an action, and I clearly outline my thoughts and actions in writing the paper in detail. I think it is obvious she is just mad I made her realize what a stupid assignment it was.

jaeg

PopeyeTurbo
Oct 18, 2000
I tried to vote, but I couldn't find the "RougeLeader is a whiney dumb piece of crap that makes us liberals who actually try to get something done instead of constantly complaining look bad by being a total fool and that this poll is further proof of his idiocy" option. Could you edit your post to add it?

RogueLeader

Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
I tried to add a poll option for "I claim to be a liberal but instead support suppression of human rights and indoctrination of children into a police state" option for you but I can't seem to edit the poll. Sorry.

Jotun

RAR!
Sep 30, 2000
RAR!
well as I see it, you should've done the essay "correctly" and you shouldn't have ranted about the school system and how BS the assignment was. Yes I am sure the assignment WAS BS and I get those myself but do you realize how much your teacher is getting paid to take crap from students like you? Mind you my mom's a teacher and I can insure you it isn't much. All i can say is that you do the BS assignment, get a hundred on it without confrontations or anything else. There is no point in making an issue over something as little as a narrative essay...

RogueLeader

Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
I wish I could do that Jotun. Unfortunatly, unlike most people, I don't accept problems as hopeless. I confront them and I am willing to sacrifice myself to solve them. As I said, I am accepting the 0. But this does nothing but prove that the schools support the suppression of free ideas, especially those critical of the school itself. What does this teach children? When you tell a child that it is wrong to oppose someone in power, that someone having authority automatically makes them right and all opposition wrong, how do you expect them to act once they are in the real world? If we have a war with China and all chinese-americans are thrown into concentration camps like the Japanese in WWII, how do you think these people will react? With support? I also cannot allow the injustice of sleep deptrivation to continue...a person in high school needs about 10 hours of sleep...limiting the time a student can sleep to such extreme levels is not just wrong, its life threatening. Extreme sleep deprivation causes death, you know. I'm not trying to insult teachers, most of them are descent people. In fact the one person I hear complain about the oppression in schools more than anyone else is one of my teachers. But if an assignment is BS, why should I not do a BS assignment? A teacher is supposed to teach and that means doing something educational. If she doesn't do her job, why should I do mine?

BlueSniper

if today was yesterday, what's tomarrow?
Mar 6, 2001
Hell yeah! go rouge!

wee'l teach those teachers that school should be about learning, and not governmental persuasion!

ANARCHY!

omen

zapatista
Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
i probably would of given him an A or B (depending also on the quality of the work) for being so original. i also think a lot of the things they make you do in school is BS. like placing so much importance on SATs and teaching kids how to take a test instead of encouraging creative thinking. but i disagree with you when you say school is just a "facist indoctrination camp" that only exists to take our rights away. it's a complex world with complex jobs that require eduction. that's why school is here. i don't think they're trying to turn us into zombie followers or anything.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
Wait a second... Your saying... waking up at 5:30 AM... is SLEEP DEPRIVATION? Son, I hate to tell you... but if you think that's too early, you need to get outta that habit. I wake up at 5ish in the mornings to get ready for school and whatnot. Sometimes I have to get up at _3_ AM to get ready for a band function (not anymore tho, I'm graduating... although there is college band, heh). You are more than likely staying up too late. If you believe in the 8 hour sleep regimend, then go to bed earlier. I usually go to bed around 10ish on school nites.

Jotun

RAR!
Sep 30, 2000
RAR!
ok, i do agree with you to an extent. For example, Standards of Learning tests (SOLs) are complete and utter bull ****. I hate em. They make it so the teachers cant teach upon the curriculim in which THEY wanted to teach. SOLs can burn in hell but I'm still going to take the test and I'm still going to try my best on the test. Not because I'm a little goody goody school bitch no no no far from it, I'm gonna do my best on them because of the benefactors that come from the SOLs. If I pass the SOLs I dont have to take my final exam in certain classes. Now if you take that 0 how is that going to affect your grade? Wouldn't it have been smarter and more beneficial to DO the bull **** assignment and get an A and get a good grade in the class? I supose I may not fully understand your resoning, I'm just going by what I would have done in the situation

RogueLeader

Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
Thrash, lets analyze this for a moment.

Taking into account that the average teenager needs 10 hours of sleep a day to be healthy.

5:30- wake up and go to school
6:00-4:00- go to classes. sleep in study hall is not allowed despite studies proving naps during day vastyl improve thinking ability, but blankly staring at wall is accepted.
4:00- leave school
4:30- go to work
5:00-6:30- work
7:00- begin homework. average load is 4-5 hours overall
11:00/12:00- go to sleep
that means the average teen will get around 5 or 5.5 hours of sleep, about the half the ammount needed. the school year is about 180 days. Thats 900 hours of sleep lost a year. High school lasts 4 years. Thats 3600 hours of sleep lost. Thats 150 days. Almost as many days as there are in one school year. If you were to try going without sleep that long consecutivly, you would be dead by day 10. You would have gone insane by day 8.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
Heh, I've gone longer without sleep. It's just convenient to have... and it keeps my mom happy ;)

Jeez, now I see where your coming from... Here, school starts at 8:30 and goes to 3:00. Nowhere have I seen your schedule before... ugh.

Jotun

RAR!
Sep 30, 2000
RAR!
oh and one more thing, i dont accept things as "hopeless" that is very pescimistic and i happen to be an optimist most of the time. I do the work so I go to a good college and get a good job I'm happy with. That's all.

Jotun

RAR!
Sep 30, 2000
RAR!
well Rogue Leader, why aren't you writing a 7 page essay about how THAT history essay is BS? I mean who needs history anyway! I'm sure as hell not gonna be a history teacher! So tell me Rogue Leader, WHY are you writing it?

RogueLeader

Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
Because history has educational value, and it is vital to the survival of the human species. If we ignore the past, we can't learn from out mistakes, such as the mistake of giving the CIA absolute power and trusting them to not abuse it, by testing radiation, LSD, and mind control on unwitting civilians, for example.

ThunderChunkysBoyz

not thunderchunky
Apr 26, 2001
What is your problem?

Your blind faith in believing everything is wrong, and you are superior and can solve the world's problems, would amost be funny, if it weren't so sad.

You complain about sleep deprivation. Nothing is depriving you of sleep but yourself. If you have to get up at 5:30 in the morning, go to be earlier. Don't go shouting off complaining that the facist school, is robbing you of your ever so valuable sleep.
If you want to go to bed at midnight, knowing full well you have to get up early in the morning, then nobody but yourself is to blame. If you want to start blaming them for that, why not continue the trend and blame them for making you eat their food if you happen to forget your lunch? Where does it stop? Accept responsibility. You decide your schedule. If you find yourself not able to do things you want to, stop doing everything.

Apparently, you are singlehandedly trying to revise the school cirriculum because it doesn't fit your rigorous standards. You claim that you are doing your just part in opposing what you feel is a stupid practice. So be it. However, you also attempt to make it into some holy crusade showing that you are indeed stronger than "The Man." The school system is a form of mass education. This means that the cirriculum is designed for a body, and not for the individual. To criticize an assignment as stupid as you find it useless is blatantly egotistical and unnecessary. If you have a problem with how the school operates, drop out. Of course, you will be facing consequences doing such. Just remember, revolutionary drivel sounds much better when its coming from behind bars.

You are also lacking something called common sense. To compare an assignment which you took, and threw back in someone's face, essentially calling another person, who has their own feelings, prejudices, and ideas, an idiot. To compare a writing assignment, which at most takes a few hours of your time when you could be shouting at a street corner distributing pamphlets to the uneducated masses, with the imprisonment of a race of human beings. I somehow sense a difference between the severity of the two. If you are unable to see this difference, then perhaps you should rethink your position.

So, go ahead an call me an idiot because I do not see with the same clarity that you do.