Come gawk at these screenshots!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

bobtheking

Monkey in a bucket
Dec 1, 2001
dx*dp >= h/4pi
Visit site
ok they aren't much, but they might be interesting to some. this will make up at least the default GUI look in my game engine, it can be 'themed'.

the controls shown:

- multiline text boxes (this was BY ****ING FAR the hardest one to implement)
- scroll bars
- sliders
- buttons
- list boxes (this is the thing with the column headers and rows of controls below)
- single line text boxes (supports everything the standard windows box supports, including cut/copy/paste to/from windows, but minus undo/redo, but also plus a few things)
- drop down list boxes
- radio buttons/radio button groups

others implemented but not shown:

- tab controls (one of the first ones i did, if anyone cares enough i can make a screenshot of it)
- check boxes

all top level windows can have their transparency set from fully trasnparent to fully opaque. the slider in the top right corner of the frame windows next to the close button controls the transparency, however, it clamps from .1 to 1 so you don't accidentally make it fully transparent and never find it again.

even thought it can be themed, i think i will just leave it like this for the game anyways, which btw i am STILL working on. the reason it is taking so damn long is feature creep. if i was still making what i started, it would have been done a long ass time ago. however, the project is about 10 times as big as it was back then, and the engine is MUCH more feature packed and better.

anyways, its now very late, i just finished the drop down list control and felt like showing some of this off.

Attachments

• GUI3.jpg
    GUI3.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 25
  • GUI6.jpg
    GUI6.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 27

bobtheking

Monkey in a bucket
Dec 1, 2001
dx*dp >= h/4pi
Visit site
i'll take that as a compliment!
QUALTHWAR said:
what game?
its going to be an underwater RTS. here are some screenshots of the editor and what is done there. no, the last one is not broken. it is demonstrating culling outside the viewable area, which has been locked to where the camera was. the green pyramid thing is the 'frustum', the visible area.

Attachments

• Editor7.jpg
    Editor7.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Editor10.jpg
    Editor10.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Editor11.jpg
    Editor11.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 20

Chrysaor

Lord of the Pants
Nov 3, 2001
Hiding in your Attic
Awesome!

Are you working with a team? Or are you also making the meshes (do we call them that for rts)? How long ago did you start? It's been awhile now hasn't it? You probably still have a long way to go, but that's still really cool progress.

bobtheking

Monkey in a bucket
Dec 1, 2001
dx*dp >= h/4pi
Visit site
sea horses maybe...
Chrysaor said:
Awesome!

Are you working with a team?
one relatively 'fixed' artist (friend who is in high school with me) but he hasn't done much recently because he doesn't have much time. we have 4 other possible internet artists that this other guy is supposed to be coordinating, but isn't, and they might be losing interest.

i seriously doubt i will be able to get all the art needed with the team i've got, i think i am going to end up buying it for much $$$. i am willing to spend up to $500 on custom art. there are about required 30 units and buildings with skins, and some other textures, plus as many decoration objects as i can get ahold of like shipwrecks and junk lying on the ocean floor.

i am the only programmer, i've spent average probably 12 hours a day for 2 years on this project. it is up to 14 DLLs, one of which is a 3D studio exporter, 2 EXEs, 3 megabytes of code, around 130,000 lines.
Or are you also making the meshes (do we call them that for rts)?
hell no, i suck at teh graphics.
How long ago did you start? It's been awhile now hasn't it?
yes, around two years. 6 months in we switched projects, it was originally going to just be a ripoff FPS. then we came up with this way more original idea, and since nothing we had really done up to that point was specific to any game type, we changed to it. with an original idea the game doesn't have to be as impressive to be worth downloading. if it was just a quake 3 or UT clone we'd have to do the graphics better, which isn't going to happen without many many many more artists.
You probably still have a long way to go, but that's still really cool progress.
thanks! i am actually getting quite close on the programming front. the engine is virtually done besides optimizing and more testing. the game code will be a piece of cake compared to the engine, i've already got stubs in where everything needs to go. i will implement them as i get art for the buildings and units.

here is what the GUI looks like now (the radio button thing was photochopped into the screenshot):

edit: actually now that i think about it i think it might be more like 2.5 years. the first few months don't count though because literally zero code from back then is still there, this is actually my first C++ project so the beginning bits were really ****ty. its all been replaced by now.

Attachments

• GUI9.jpg
    GUI9.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited: