Unreal 2 system requirements

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpl. Shepard

Apr 15, 2000
Visit site
Oh. My. God. I just read my first preview of U2. The scope of the game Legend is making is awe-inspiring. And we can't forget, of course, the graphics. I took a close look at all of them and my eyes popped out of their sockets. After making sure they were securely and snugly back in my head, I began thinking how this game may actually dethrone Half-Life and Freespace 2 as my favorite single-player game of all time. Considering how avid of a SP gamer I am, that's quite a feat.

One nasty thing stands between me and U2 however. Yeah, an actual computer. Just thinking about what it would take to get U2 to run at a decent resolution with all effects turned up sparks a headache that doesn't go away until I drink lots and lots of maple syrup (don't ask).

So, here comes that dreadful question. What do you think U2's system requirements are going to be? (don't give me that official BS you think'll be printed on the bottom of the box; instead, give your realistic estimate)

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
I don't know about official BS but according to the guys at Legend all the shots that have been seen to date is from footage done on PIII machines with GeForce1/2 cards.
That's pretty reasonable considering its for a game that's not due for quite a few months.

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
The official FAQ says:
Q. What will be the recommended system requirements to play the game?

A. Unreal II will look stunning on high-end systems, but you should be able to play the game just fine on a P2/450 with a first generation GeForce card.
Well .... "just fine" is probably a lie. It will run, if you disable all eye candy and run it at 640x480, but it will look like crap.
If you want nice visuals, then you'll probably need at least a 1 GHz CPU and a GF2 gfx card or simular.

Cpl. Shepard

Apr 15, 2000
Visit site
That's what I was afraid of. I know what they said about the machines they were running on now, but I find it hard to believe that the system specs won't increase as they make improvements to the graphics.

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
The graphics already look mighty improved to me.

The fact that they'd be delegating a lot of the world geometry and rendering to the T&L capabilities of the graphics card may account for CPU reqs not drastically up. Remember that this feature has not yet been properly tapped in current games, except maybe sacrifice, giants etc.
I think any system that plays these games well today should be able to handle U2 comfortably.
RAM will probably be an issue. 128MB is minimum, I think for this baby.

im guessing a GF2 and 1Ghz cpu w/ 256 mb ram will be able to run U2 with T&L on of course (for a 1024x768 res with everything else maxed out)

anything you read in a preview that says runs fine @ blah blah is bs

for minimum reqs, it all depends on the person :) (ie ppl do play UT on P200 cpus with very old vid cards)

Mind Maze

May 6, 2001
Visit site
U2 minimum guesses:

-CPU 500mhz, cheap nowdays
-3D card, 16MB models should be able to run (GF256 won´t be able to run all T&Ls comparing to GF2 and next generation ones)
-system ram, here I think 32MB will be unplayable and with 64 disk swaps comparable to UT with 32MB.

U2 ultimate:

-CPU around 600-800mhz, again with CPUs reaching 2ghz, still not that expensive.
-3D card, models with 32MB and T&L should be able to run with most features turned on.
-system ram, since UT need 128 to play smooth all the time I think 128 should be enough with some swaps perhaps.

Not menthioning configurations with low end CPU and lots of RAM, super fast CPU with a averange TNT2, bla bla blah.

PS: I don´t know how T&L will be supported in U2 and how much this thing in U2 will freely the CPU usage, and how many of the features from top level 3D cards U2 will take advantage.

flare

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
as long as it doesnt turn out like anarchyonline. :D

recommend system specs for that game:

1.7ghz athlon
512mb ram
GeForce 3
t1 internet connection
pantients to put up with all the bull**** and bugs from funcom. :D

and even with those recommended requirements the game still runs horrible.

Cpl. Shepard

Apr 15, 2000
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I guess you've restored my confidence somewhat; I thought I was going to have to sell my house to play this game. I even had a nice big cardboard box all set up that you can comfortably turn around in....uh, anyways, it's nice knowing I won't have to spend thousands on a $40 game. As I see it, it looks like I'll need a new motherboard, processor, 3D card, and a little more RAM, but I've been surfing around the web and the price for an Athlon 800Mhz isn't what it once was. This isn't going to come easy, but the previews for Unreal 2 have made me regain faith in PC gaming right when I was about to give up on it. With a little help from Jedi Knight II, of course. :D

Mind Maze

May 6, 2001
Visit site
Disagree

T1 line to play online? Lags up to 350 are playable but not as good as 100-. Low end PCs gets astronomic lags with extra large maps even with T3. (huh?! How many people actually have T3 and low end PCs?)

Depending on how good is your connection from your ISP to your house, 33.6k modem can get very low lags. UT code supports even 28.8kbs modems, the real problem was that internet started sharing the telephone lines, so in most cases cable, DSL, T lines r the best bet.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I saw an ingame pic of Aida today..
I was blown away by her good looks :eek:
Really, the detail.. that face. Hey, it makes Lara croft look eh.. boring :D (the older l.c. that is)

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
what's your config thoughtcontrol?
Anything above a PII 450 with 64MB RAM and a bare-bones 3d card (4 to 8MB RAM) should be able to run UT smoothly (at 16-bit color and medium detail) I should think.
If your system matches this, I'd suggest you look at what programs are running in the background (antivirus, e-mail client blah blah) when you start up the game.

Wh0racle

GF3 r0xx0rz j00!!!
Jul 24, 2001
Sykkylven, Norway
10 fps? damn! what sys specs do you have? I have a pIII 500, 128 mb sdram and a tnt2 and i can sometimes get over 100 per second! thats with 16 bit colors, opengl, medium skin detail 1024x768....

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
Probably close to one of the systems that I've played UT on
P266 MMX, 32MB RAM, 2MB PCI card
Software mode, 400 x 300 (windowed), Medium world detail, Low skin detail
I couldn't seriously think of playing any map that was made for more than 5-6 bots :eek:

dEAdly_sIn

kIng_0f_hEAdsh0tz and Leader of Clan -=IFH=-
Jul 24, 2001
USA
www.crosswinds.net
Dude Above me-----^

Haven't you read ANYTHING about Unreal ][? You can't run it in software because there is no software rendering mode! Anyway, I'm going to need a new pc because my P/2 with ATI Rage 128 Pro card won't run {at least, i don't think it will}.....
sIn

hashpipe

AC/UT/espn
Jul 24, 2001
Visit site
Well i am going to start sving now for a new computer. by the time UT2 comes out i will go out and buy a new computer a week after u2 release. that way i will have a pretty good jump on what to avoid from all your forum complaints =). (noone in particular, i will post my own complaints)

WildfireX

Mar 10, 2001
Visit site
I fully intend to run Unreal 2 on 1024x768x32x32xmax detail on my current computer. Nothing can stop that now :p.

And I'm getting this computer for FREE too...mmm...

Wh0racle

GF3 r0xx0rz j00!!!
Jul 24, 2001
Sykkylven, Norway
Originally posted by WildfireX2000
I fully intend to run Unreal 2 on 1024x768x32x32xmax detail on my current computer. Nothing can stop that now :p.

And I'm getting this computer for FREE too...mmm...

free? work related?

Status
Not open for further replies.