Mapping community & forums

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
The mapping forums haven't been the most active for the last 2 years or so, but there's been some quite quality maps released recently and UT2k4 seems like it will hopefully revitalise the community.
I think it would be a decent idea to post some news mentioning that the map forums are a good place for discussion, map feedback and help etc. and hopefully liven the place up.
Don't forget to mention that many professional mappers also only got that far that quickly because of feedback these forums ;)
(Then we might also get some new peeps in Other Stuff aswell!)

Zlal

New but not improved.
Nov 4, 2001
Exeter
They has also drove many people insane, and given many people lots of laughs.
Two qualities you can't miss out :)

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
We don't have any swag, or server to playtest the maps online.
I'm sure QAPete already throws in just to keep BU online, Whatever we offer will have to be ante'd by someone generous. I donate my time for lack of funds and would gladly review said winner, given they consider that a prize :p
If you old timers remember: I once ran a "Name that BOT" series, spewing a review to the first correct response... What a tragedy that was.
If NC does have a mapping contest I sure hope we have something decent as the award... If we did it now, it could be a copy of UT2k4? That's only like 40 bucks plus 10 for shipping. I'd almost be willing to spring for that myself, actually I am :) , I should say "for someone else" heh. If we could set it up with QAPete, perhaps take a collection using BU's paypal set up? I'd flip in a sawbuck ($10) to get it going :tup:

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
Well a compo sounds like a decent enough idea. Just don't have it going for a while though since unreal playground are starting an onslaught compo as soon as 2k4 comes out, then there is phase 3 of msu aswell.
I might be able to throw in a bit of cash but I'd have to wait for my next student loan installment to come through!

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
I always found the UP mapping contests one of the big plus for its popularity. That and the servers running site customs... not that i even entered a contest; it sure would be good to have NC3 doing such contests as well.

In quake community, there's a site (func_msgboard, i think) that does "speed mapping". They give a solid theme/idea of what to do or what to follow, then it's up with the mappers to work around it in 1 week (i think).
The main focus of such a thing is to keep quake1 rolling, with great (and also not so) maps, both MP and SP, no matter the wackyness of some weekly themes.
NC3 could do something alike, or like PU does, both, or a mix of it. In any way, i think the community would always be beneficiated and NC3 would get more attention 'in a regular basis'.

I do agree, if this goes ahead, that it should be after MSU, and definitly "articulated" (if/when possible) with UP contests. Last thing we could want to do is to dismember the community.

'...oh, should i map for UP contest or NC3's ?...'

Just MHO...

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
you know, the whole community split up way too much when ut2003 came out
a part moved to up and other sites, none of the sites still are in touch with eachother
how about arranging 1 contest together with up and some others maybe
far wider public too
far more possibilties for prices as well
and you interact eachother back in to the other site again

MassChAoS

echo "NaliCity";
May 23, 2002
www.chaoticdreams.org
I don't think you guys need much help from me, it can be done without me. Twrecks can handle news and such, so that much is taken care of. If there is anything else needed, let me know.

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
Twrecks said:
I was hoping to do something this weekend, UP's won't start until 2k4 is released.

... i was talking in the long term, but i guess it applies as well...
Ut2004 will be released March 15th ??? Right?...

Still, coming up with a new contest out of nowhere at NC3 would take ppl by surprise... kinda. They wouldn't expect it from NC3. You know, the pshycologic "shock"...

^ man... what a bunch of non-sense. Need rest...

Go ahead if you have some ideas. :) :tup:

Sarevok

Jun 4, 2002
Kuwait
what about some kind of official NaliCity map pack made by the regulars of NC, it would be for UT2004 of course, I'm willing if anybody else is

AMmayhem

Mayhem is everywhere
Nov 3, 2001
NaliCity, MI
Visit site
Sarevok said:
what about some kind of official NaliCity map pack made by the regulars of NC, it would be for UT2004 of course, I'm willing if anybody else is

Not a bad idea, something like the Community Bonus Packs, but including maps from NC'ers only... :tup: