Return to its roots?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SergeiDragunov

Jul 12, 2010
Hi, new here. I don't know about any of y'all but I grew up on the original Unreal. Literally one of my fondest childhood memories was sitting in the computer room watching my dad play it. Since I now have Unreal Gold on my computer I've played through several times. I've played most all of the UT games but to be honest I'd like to see it return to its roots a bit, complete with the Nali, Brutes, temples, and awesomeness that made this series what it is. Now don't get me wrong, I love UT and all the more modern gametypes, but it's always been a game-nerd dream for Unreal to make a game like the original, updated and made even more awesome. How do you good people feel about this?

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
If one would be made I'd expect many people saying "F U this conversion is nothing like the original,etc".
Just be happy there are still some SP project for Unreal/UT in the works.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I agree with Skakruk, U1 doesn't need the boring UT1/UT3 techno at all! But I'd say the original music is good as it is, the trackers are good quality already.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Music genre anyone?

The UT3 music is pure dark techno quality from veteran gaming composers, shut up! :)
Just amp the quality a bit, the Unreal music is perfect as it is. Otherwise, some remixes out there can do the job fine too.

EDIT: Remixes that are true to what Unreal is (almost all the ones posted in Hyper's website are okay, in this case). I don't want another Hyperblast -2k4warline Riepl or something- crap remix but I doubt something like that would ever happen again. Same with FireBR :E

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Hyperblast Redux is awesome, one of my favourite pieces of music in UT2004. But from all things, music is probably the most subjective thing there is, so it's not at all worth talking about.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if there are people who like the original version of FireBr.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Oh, that's a crazy version. Not to my liking.

I actually like that version.

Here it is played in original fasttracker 2 btw:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ6L-3LQ2o4

The UT2004 godown remix is terrible, the custom UT2003 metalish one was better even, the one that appeared in deck17, the UT2003 version by the same guy who did the UT2004 one.

Last edited:

gnrlspecific

Nov 6, 2009
Sadly this discussion has gone a bit off topic. I think the original thred was talking about the "game" not the "music". In response to Sergei, I would love to see Unreal remade. My favourite game of all time without a doubt. Ive played it through probably ten times and am currently playing the mission pack "return to napali". As for the music its great as it is. The music CD from the anthology pack has made its way into my car stereo and hasnt left it since.

DeusIX

Engineer
Mar 22, 2009
Winland
Still, music is a big part of the game. I'd hate to see 'orchestrated' unreal. U1/UT1 music FTW! If one fancies 'cd-quality' music, then there's quake ;).

Nowadays all games have orchestrated musics and they all sound the same. It's just BGM, very, very neutral and lame BGM.
Deus Ex being an example: Anyone played DE1 recalls the UNATCO-theme (and possibly many more tracks) Now compare that to DE2. .. Well, I can't recall any tracks from that and yet it's the same artist, using fancier instruments.

Personally I think that it's UT3's poor music that caused it to fail =D

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
UT3 music is awesome. Taste is terrible around here it seems, or more correctly, totally biased toward what people think to be the better game - which is just as bad as an opinion.
Outpost's production quality for example is better than the entire UT2k4 OST.
UT1 music instead is very overrated. Lots of ugly tunes and the only ones that stand out are imho Mech8 and Nether (GoDown, Phantom and Lock too I guess).

And no, you're terribly wrong (XL-size) with the statement about nowadays' music, but there's no point arguing about it in this thread because it's going too off-topic for uninteresting reasons like "battle of music taste".

Last edited: