Regarding the Robar

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
C

Catalyst

Concerning the new Robar .50 cal bolt-action sniper rifle that will be included in 2.5, I wanted to ask you guys your opinion since we can go two ways on this really:

a.) Should we totally replace the PSG and have the Robar accessible in all maps created up until now? The PSG can still be "there" (it can still be summoned and put in new maps), but just not the primary rifle

OR

b.) Keep the PSG the main rifle and have the Robar only accessible in maps created since the release of 2.5?

What are your thoughts?

[This message has been edited by Catalyst (edited 08-21-1999).]

P

profit

Sorry for the off topic post ahead.... I figure this thread will get a few posts...

How many weapon slots are feasable (muti weapons on 1 key etc)...
How many in UT?

Will we one day see a day when you can choose your loadout going in from dozens of weapons? THAT would be sweet... SR-25 baby!!!

G

No, the Robar is too powerful to let it lie everywhere in the levels. You could replace the GES by it.

S

Sledgehammer

I think that, as sniping is hard enough as it stands, that the Robar could and probably should take the place of the PSG.

Sniping is really hard in Infiltration (well I think so anyway), and anything that can be done to make the sniper's life a little easier is more than welcome! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Annyway, this is only my opinion.

L

[L.I.F.L]JoeLos

I think the Robar shall replace the PSG, one sniper is all it takes. My personal thoughts about sniping is.

Have anyone tried running and using a scope (50")? When I was using the Berret M82A1 one thing is clear, running and firing is not an option. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)))
You maybe can't compare the Robar and the Berret but it's still hard to run and use the scope....

Make it harder to use when moving..... it's to easy in Infiltration.

H

Hodag

Amen on running and using scopes, my experience has been with the M21 and the Barrett M82A2(Bullpup version). It is impossible to run and gun using the scope, even scooting slowly. That's why I would like to see red dot and ghost ring systems on some of the weapons. These systems are quick to use and aquire targets with. They are a natural on shotguns especially but variants can be found on rifles, SMGs and handguns.

------------------
Oh Great... another Mac
fanatic...

T

the_ROCK

Ummm just one real strong sniper rifle is needed (one shot kill) hehehehe

W

Warren

We won't be replacing the PSG with the Robar - mainly because I've already done most of the PSG animations /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif But the question is would you rather have all the current maps summon the Robar or PSG- forcing the other to be summoned manually or put in by map makers after 2.5 comes out? I'm also open on this one.. either weapon would rock /infopop/emoticons\icon_wink.gif

H

Hodag

Well, I'm more partial to either the M21 or the SVD (both are far more heavily used in the real world than the Robar or PSG) :=, but I think that the Robar's slow rate of fire shouldn't screw up the play balance that much. By the way what's the Magazine capacity on that ?

------------------
Oh Great... another Mac
fanatic...

C

Catalyst

Damn, I completely forgot I'm not using the GES for replacing anything, so we COULD have both weapons in maps. The PSG will obviously remain, we aren't going to ditch it after Warren busted his ass on it. So, to balance the extra power of the Robar, it will probably have less rounds (5 shot clip) and we might make the player crouch to fire it and use the scope.

When 3.0 rolls around and we have the loadout system where you can choose your weapons, it will make sense to have 2 sniper rifles, PSG for the average sniper who also runs and guns with other weapons, and the Robar for the pure sniper who does nothing but snipe /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

To tell you the truth, there really isn't much balance for the 2 rifles in Infiltration's current stage. The balance will really come in when weight and limited weapons come into the picture.

For now though, it seems the best way would just be to have both rifles in the maps (by replacing the GES with the Robar and the Unreal Rifle with the PSG, or the other way around), and let the player decide which one to use.

G

Hey, the PSG1 is used in real life !!!
The German GSG9 uses it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ,so it's one of my favourites for sniping.
A question: is there any sniper who would run AND shoot at the same time??? You lose your cover, you can't shoot precisely. I'd never do that.

H

Hodag

I'm not saying the PSG is not used in real life, just that it isn't as common...

------------------
Oh Great... another Mac
fanatic...

G

O.K, if it's not impossible to have them both , make it so /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
But I hope you'll think about the menu-idea (choosing primary weapon, secondary weapon items #1, items #2 and attach things on weapons, like silencers etc)

P

profit

An SR-25 (AR-10 made by knight) would be sooo sweet... if in the future there are dozens of guns to choose from..

H

Hodag

There's no such thing as too much R6...or HL Counterstrike...or Action Quake...or Unreal Infiltration...or Unreal Serpentine...or even Navy Seals Weapon Pack for Quake 1 or Duke3D /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

------------------
Oh Great... another Mac
fanatic...