Timesplitters

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Well, as anyone who loves First Person Shooters should know, Timesplitters 2 is a masterful game for consoles. But wouldn't it be cool to convert those great Timesplitters 2 multiplayermaps into UT2003 format. It almost isn't getting better than this, except for UT2004 ;)

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Game Modes

I just thought of the game modes UT2003 has and if you know Timesplitters 2 you know that that game has more game modes you expect in a game. How about a few of these game modes in UT2003? New to UT2003 would be VIRUS, a tag variant in which someone starts as the 'tagger'. That person is on fire, so that you can easily spot him, although there is no life lost by that burning. The game ends when everyone except for 1 has been tagged, that last one is the winner. To prevent yourself from being tagged you can frag the person trying to tag you! Wouldn't that be a great game mode?

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
I don't know the game (quit consoles after getting my first PC), but i wonder if all those game modes aren't but a copy/paste of usuall modes + some slightly change.

The game mode you describe has been done over and over again for UT, and i'm sure for UT2003, in a way or another. Bounty-style game modes or Tag modes are maybe the easiest and most proliferant (<a word?) of the DM modifications. That, and weapon arena DM modes :p ...

You might not find one that starts you burning, but that is just a detail. The signal might be an icon or just a colored glow coming from the player (tagger).

... yes. This was a rather useless post :p ...

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
I know that such modifications already exist, and it's a real SHAME that you don't know this game, because of it's brilliance. To put it in another way, if UT2003 were to be ported to PS2 (which it wil probably not) it would have simply too much competition from Timesplitters 2. Timeplitters has quite a few modes to play in, but most of them indeed are simple mutators in UT2003 or even good old UT. All the modes for TS are: Deathmatch (duh), Team Deathmatch (duh), Capture the Bag (CTF with a suitcase), Elimination (Last man standing), FlameTag (tag like Virus, but only 1 person is tagger at the same time, the one who is tagger the least amount of time wins), Virus (the one I already mentioned), Assault (duh), Leech (health of opponents is leeched when hit by another), Vampire (you need blood (frags) or you'll die after a certain time, so you need to keep fragging), Shrink (Deathmatch variant with special rule, the one with the most frags is also the easiest to hit, because the lower you are on the list, the smaller you are thus harder to hit), Monkey Assistant, (Deathmatch variant in which the player with the least frags get assistance of 4 small monkeys with homing rocket launchers! Every frag the monkeys make is added to the frag total of the weakest player, fragging the monkeys doesn't score you frags), BagTag (1 suitcase, see who can hold on to it the longest). I think I forgot some, but these are great examples of game modes in Timesplitters...

...Maybe you would like to reconsider the useless comment comment?

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
The same goes for the Timesplitters models/skins and weapons. Timesplitters 2 has 126 different skins, divided over at least 40 different models.
TS 2 has about 40 weapons (that includes weapons that can be carried 2 at the same time). I'll try and name as many weapons as possible. Luger pistol (also x2), silenced pistol (also x2), Garrett revolver (also x2), Vintage rifle (sort of sniper), Sniper rifle (duh), Flamethrower, Sci-Fi handgun (pistol that shoots small plasma waves that bounce off walls a few times if they don't hit anything directly), Plasma Auto-rifle (sort of machine gun that fires plasma bursts, alternative fire is plasma grenade that can stick on any surface, even players. the gun can overheat), rocket launcher (one missile a time or 3 with alternate fire), homing launcher (my favourite, 1 missile a time or 3 with alternate fire, follows target when locked on, even turns around when misses, but can easily crash into walls), lasergun (alternate fire is a sort of shield like the shield gun, fire can be charged so a direct hit beam like the shock rifle's is fired), Timed mine (well, timed mine), Remote mine (mines that can be thrown with fire and can be detonated with alternate fire, you can lay an entire mine field before detonating, but if you die while throwing mines you cannot detonate them in your next life), Proximity mine (mines that detonate upon player proximity), Brick (yes plain old bricks), Crossbow, Soviet (also x2, much like AK's, fire is machine gun and alternate fire is grenade), Tommygun (also x2, the good old tommygun, machinegun with a bellie), SBP-machinegun (also x2, machinegun on steroids, shoots 64 bullet in less than 3 seconds, alternate fire is zoom function), Grenade Launcher (fire is a bunch of grenades, alternate fire is 1 big flaming ball of fire that sets players on fire), shotgun (also x2, double barreled shotgun that fires 2 rounds before reloading), Tactical 8-gauge shotgun (much like the SPAZ, this baby can shoot 8 rounds before reloading, 1 with fire, 2 at a time with alternate fire), Minigun (with fire you need to pre-spin the barrels, with alternate fire you automatically put on pre-spin so you can start firing when you see someone. gun can overheat), Dynamite (sort of timed mine, but with a much larger explosion), Electrotool (sort of Link gun, except it shoots a constant beam of electricity). I don't know if I missed any gun, but the ones I mentioned above could be some inspiration for a new weapons-mod?

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
souldividersjosz said:
[...] Monkey Assistant, (Deathmatch variant in which the player with the least frags get assistance of 4 small monkeys with homing rocket launchers! Every frag the monkeys make is added to the frag total of the weakest player, fragging the monkeys doesn't score you frags)[...]

haha

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Lack

Yes, that was the only poor thing with Timesplitters, lack of gibs and blood splattering over my screen. But UT2003 has also got some serious lack of humour in it, although it still is mighty nice to see your opponent curse after he had a close encounter with my flak cannon. Timsplitters made up for the blood lack with humour, very subtle. Red Faction is nice too, but it doesn't come anywhere near Timesplitters, if you look at variety of levels, weapons, challenge, unlockables and characters.
Adn Nahand, that Monkey assistant mode has a funny name, but try and laugh as 4 monkeys turn their faces and shoot 12 homing missiles in your face, you'll stop laughing and start swearing in no time.

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
That would happen because i couldn't stop laughing at the vision of 4 tiny monkeys noising around with Home Rockies. Hahahahaha. It's just hilarious.

Mavoric

www.mavoric.net
Dec 6, 2003
www.mavoric.co.uk
I play TimeSplitters 2 Great Game!! Just one Problem!! YOU CAN ONLY GO UPTO 100 KILLS :mad: Plus am stick on Neo Tokeo Can u help me on that! Cameras keep doing 360 degrees turns while on my m8s they only do 90 degrees?

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
And don't forget, you can go up to over 9000 kills if you put a time limit on instead of a frag limit. And yes it has a level editor of it's own. Very basic stuff though, nothing compared to the great UnrealEd 3.0

Ahhh! Blocks of words!

If I said what I think I would be repeating myself. Of course some of that doesn't apply to this thread but the basic stuff is the same. I recommend doing something that takes advantage of Unreal and extends TS2, not just a port. Those can be good but when they mimic a lot of already existing stuff, it gets boring. Yeah monkeys with rockets, can't go wrong with that one!

It really sounds like you work for the publisher of TS2, pimping the game like non other, but that's probably just me.

CyberSirius

Mostly dead.
Jan 4, 2004
souldividersjosz said:
And yes it has a level editor of it's own. Very basic stuff though, nothing compared to the great UnrealEd 3.0

But at least it's a Level Editor

Uncle_Bob

Sympathy for Mr. Vengance
Apr 12, 2004
www.naliclan.tk
I love the TS2 level editor, not as creative as the Unreal Ed but there is a limit to what what you can do with one on a console. Monkey assistant on UT BRILL or how about Nali assistant or even Skarrjj assistant (that would be bloody scary). How about a assistant mutator that spawns random unreal monsters and creatures to help the weakest player!!!

:eek: