Path To Victory Alpha 1 Released

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

RaptoR

been here far too long
May 7, 2000
UK
www.androidcentral.com
The Path To Victory team decided to have a shot at the Make Something Unreal contest, and released their first alpha build to the public.

The team behind this UT2003 WW2 conversion gave us this download link, so click away for a chance to see an early build of this promising WW2 mod!

Mychaeel

I really wonder why mod teams are so desperate that they'd rather release an unfinished alpha or beta version right now than a polished release version in due time for phase two (or three) of the Make Something Unreal contest.

Personally, I much prefer making a good first impression on the contest jury (and the general public), even if it may be a bit later, instead of going for the slim chance of winning anything in the first phase of the contest with a prematurely released version of a mod.

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
idd, lots of unfinished mods hit the internet, i tried two recently, and i had to re-install ut2k3 twice in order for it to work again decently :/
I really wish they test their mods a bit better

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
its official now it seems its on their site.
And yes its got an uninstaller, and it works since i had to run it.
Is there a word for a pre-alpha build :p
There are sooo many things wrong in this mod, hard to start really
Wouldn't recommend it, models, animations, bots ai, weapon models, skins, only 4 levels, all unfinished and looking really bad.
Jungle warfare looks like a beta compared to this :p

I blame the unreal contest, people are just rapidly throwing stuff together even if its unfinished, to bad. Third ut2k3 mod download that completely failed to even entertain me for 5 minutes :/
On a positive note, the intro which lasts about 20 seconds isn't very original but it was nice to see.

DeadEyeNick

Dec 30, 2000
JODECI said:
Any news on if this actually works and if its any good.

Also, does it have an uninstaller as a lot of the mods jsut released dont....
During installation, it'll have several prompts, one to ask if you'll like to add an uninstaller... well I click yes, but I can't find it anyway on the start menu where it said the app will be. :/ I removed it with windows add/remove app @ the control panel instead.
It is alpha after all, so expect some flaws.

[edit]omg is this instaposting day? that's like my 5th time today. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
still even an alpha would have sorted aiming problems out, i don't even know what way this mod is heading, crosshairs or ironsights, it seems to have both ,but ironsights only work properly on the garand :/
The alt modes on all the other guns are inproper and there's not even a single animation in between the changing of the fire modes, it just 'pops up' to the alternative mode.

Mychaeel

TTRStryker8 said:
still even an alpha would have sorted aiming problems out

An alpha version can be, by definition, anything between "nothing" and a beta version. A beta version in turn should be feature-complete and stable, yet untested and possibly full of bugs.

It's legitimate for an alpha version to be barely able to run; but it's somewhat questionable for a mod team to release an alpha (or beta) version to the general public.

Last edited:

Mychaeel

They can get feedback from a selected team of beta testers too, or from the general public after fixing up all known bugs, odds and ends and releasing a proper post-beta version of their mod.

It's not like it's impossible to release another updated version after that.

Mychaeel

If that's the only thing that distinguishes a beta version from a final release version in a certain mod team's mind, they sure shouldn't call it "beta" when it isn't.

Normally "beta" has a distinct meaning though: feature-complete, stable, in testing, possibly still bug-ridden. There's no reason to discount a finished release version by attaching a "beta" label to it (unless you count getting extra credit from certain users and some questionable reviewers for being "just a beta").

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
Had a little chat with the new project leader, it seems the old one released this alpha, hence the dodgy background with this release.
The team didn't wanted the alpha 1 to be publically released it seems, but he went ahead and posted it everywhere. Well thats what i got from the pm he sent me anyway.

So with that said i'm going to forget what i downloaded and i'll definatly download the official release then.