Snipers. Are they effective ??

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Blatant Bastich

Bite Me Fan Boy!
Feb 8, 2000
Culver City, CA
Visit site
I used to think that snipers were simply distractions in CTF, you just had to remember to keep moving, ducking, jumping, and dodging when you where in the open. Sure you might get killed but not too often. I was usally happy when the other team loaded up on snipers because it made grabbing a flag all the easier...then just frag em as you leave the base from behind...BUT...The other day on FACE I faced two LPB snipers that made me have a whole new respect for the sniping tactic. These two guys had us locked down! They were not spawn killing, but we could barely make it out of our base without losing our head..let alone to the other teams base. My whole team was sitting in the base like scared kittens hiding from the rain. I guess the sniper rife in the right hands can be effective...not just a pain in the A$$.

------------------
Kill me on "MadMax's Ultimate Unreal Server Full T1".

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Heh.. play with me on the other team on LavaGiant and you'll know what a pain in the äss an LPB sniper can be. /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

bullet2.gif

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me." ~ Robert A. Heinlein
nguid:453406

[This message has been edited by Rooster (edited 03-09-2000).]

Talon

Dec 26, 1999
Canada
go.to
they are effective but i really hate spawn killers cuz they are just cheap players who can't get kills otherwise, for the most part anyway.

bullet2.gif

Do you dare challenge the great [PuF]Talon?

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
Yeah sinpers are dangerous, I usally end up getting shot by snipers on the assault at overlord. Which leads me to remember a really crazy game I plyed last night, morpheus frag limit really high I think the guy had it set on 500 or something cos he had 256 kills when i jumped in. Snipers only, it was insane. I had a blast too! Probably the best way to practice that weapon. trying to shoot people as you fly over their heads is not easy!!

bullet2.gif

0shadow0
Rantings of a suicidal maniac.
http://members.tripod.com/~fazal_k

B

BitchSmack

LOL @ Rooster...lil big for yo britches there boy..hehe

bullet2.gif

"The only thing that makes life
bearable is the knowledge that
some poor bastard has it much
worse than you" - hrdwaremyk³

"Sit! Roll Over! Play dead! Stay that way!" - BitchSmack

Stamp

Jan 21, 2000
Visit site
They are effective, but they are also sitting ducks. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Twice now on Lavagiant I have been sworn at by poor losers because I have taken them out when they are sniping from the ridge. I usually do it from the wrong side just before making a flag run, or from the tower of the enemy base. It really pisses them off, hehe, these LPB's who consider themselves snipers really hate being sniped.

But they are an effective tactic and when done properly can give a side a huge advantage.

Mr Z

Dec 3, 1999
Visit site
I frown on most snipers especially the ones on my team. Granted there are some people that can snipe effectively but I would say 90% of them are pretty inept and don't contribute to the team. After all this time I can only name a few people that I would say were good snipers. The biggest gripe I have with most snipers is that they need to learn to stop sniping and chase the friggin enemy flag carrier. How many times on Face have you seen a Flag runner get sniped in front of his base and his teammate picks up the flag and scores because the sniper was nowhere near the dropped flag to return it? On the other hand a good sniper can be a really effective offensive weapon on Lava Giant since the ridge offers a good perspective of the enemy base.

bullet2.gif

all that I know...
The Unknown Knows

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
Stamp's right. LPB's who do nothing but snipe and think they've got "Da Ping" absolutely hate being sniped themselves. They've got this "you can't do that! My ping's better than yours!" mindset. Whooo! /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

Hoe? Don't you be callin' my woman a garden tool!

Danger_Dude

Feb 15, 2000
That's a damn good question.
Visit site
Like all things, you have to strike a balance. I was sniping on Face the other day, one of my teammates comes charging out of the enemy base with the flag and lots of unfriendly company.

Three head shots later, my teammate scored.

I find that I'll usually knock off a few folks, then move to another location, or make a flag run, etc.

The main point is to keep the enemy guessing.

And I NEVER spawn-snipe - tho if I'm running by with a flak cannon, you're giblets!

bullet2.gif

I bet the main reason the police keep people away from a plane crash is they don't want anybody walking in and lying down in the crash stuff, then when somebody comes up act like they just woke up and go, "What was THAT?!" - Jack Handey

Temporary Account

Temporarily Permanent
Jan 25, 2000
cosmicmonstersinc.com
As with any team game, I think it's important to know your roles, and to also be diverse. What I mean by this, is that it's usually great to have a couple of snipers(assuming you have the manpower to spare.), as long as they are good. And these snipers should also be well versed in DM tactics and know when to drop the rifle and get into a fray.

Nothing worse than playing CTF where your entire team is on defense (or offense for that matter.), especially when they are all trying to be snipers. You gotta have co-ordination, and if you can't take the time to talk to your team-mates, at least try to analyze the action and go where it's most appropriate.

I was playing November the other night, and I noticed all of my team was on offense. So I decided to go defense. Fortunately, my team reacted well to my bound keys and when we had incoming they were highly effective. The opponents team was actually quite good, and I felt really bad for them. We ended the game 10-1 in our favor. I looked at the stats afterwards, and everyone on the opposing team was ranked lower than 500. But to their credit, they finally got co-ordinated about half-way through the game and started mounting group attacks. Let me tell you, it was a bitch to defend against.

Hmm...my post seems to have wandered /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif What I'm trying to say is that a few snipers can be effective as long as they're good at it and know when to switch roles. But people who just sit there with the sniper rifle all game and refuse to be versitile(and especially when they are mediocre snipers at best), are lame.

bullet2.gif

-[CMi]Soul-Crusher
www.cosmicmonstersinc.com

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Some good points, guys. Snipers have their place, as long as they are playing in a team context and not just to rack up their stats.

Good sniping can be very effective.

bullet2.gif

Yes, I know I'm full of $I-IiT - but I'm Godlike dammit!

hal{PuF}

VaShooter

The Ol`e man is back
Jan 25, 2000
Chesapeake VA
Visit site
HE HE HE HE HE .......
You know I make no pretenses about it at all, Several post I made when I was first starting on here I let everyone know I am a sniper, I love it, its what I did for many years...Several people here realize the importance of a good sniper Rooster, temp, danger..A few don`t OH WELL...I have stated several times in post here that I do NOT spawn snipe, well last week for one game that changed, I got spawn sniped 6 times it was a laggy connection and as soon as I could move I was dead..Well i warned the person twice if I`m running I`m fair game just don`t spawn snipe me..Well he didn`t listen much less his team mates jumped in also and made a GRAVE mistake and called me lame......To make a long story short there were 6 on that team, once I was able to make it inside OUR FLAG CARRIER had no trouble capturing the flag. The reason ....For 5 flag captures he had no opposition...You see I was standing on top of a rifle ammo spawn in point...I kept 6 players out of the game, now did I spawn snipe, DAMN RIGHT, did a few get past me sure, did they make it to the inside, NOPE ..Did they get to the flag carrier NOPE.....And this gentlemen and ladies is fact not brag....Now I don`t know how it is now with this zero ping thing I haven`t played at all since last saturday, But one thing I can tell you disbelievers a good sniper can make the difference between winning and losing.....
Ps. the person that spawn sniped me did apoligise to me at the end of the game, but also asked me to not snipe anymore...LOL

bullet2.gif

He Shoots..He Scores..He gets shot in the back.
new ingame name Yr2ESY Nguid 629493