Changeable WEATHER and TIME OF DAY ingame?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What you think?

• Total voters

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
I think this would be a great addition. I mean like...being able to change the weather soo...You should be able to make it rain, make it cloudy, make it foggy, make it snow, make it bright and sunny, or make it a THUNDERSTORM/SNOWSTORM! and so on and so forth...

Also, you should be able to make it NIGHT/DAY/DAWN and make it so that you can shoot out the lights! Obviously, the lights should only be LIT at NIGHT, also dont go too far with this by making it possible for players to destroy the map to pitch black darkness (perhaps maybe put some invulnerable shielded lights or something to prevent this? OR make a device to see in the pitch black darkness). So you can choose to have a very stealthy game! (nono i dont mean nighttime so we'll be able to use our ugly brightskins and turn UT into a stealth game, I mean you CAN CHOOSE nighttime IF you want to have a stealthy match. If you want it as a normal intense bloody deathmatch where you can clearly see everything then you choose daytime! If you want a good hiding spot OCCASIONALLY you choose Dawn!). Also, make 'being able to shoot out lights' as an OPTION for the players that want to play a night match BUT with all of lights ON and indestructible. and so on and so forth....

I think this would make very good use of UE3's great lighting and give us more variety in each map.

One more thing, I obviously mean these things should all be changeable INGAME without going to the map editor and without making a new map. ALL INGAME! (like whats the whole point if its not ingame rite?)

Im not sure what to do about the indoor arena maps though (maybe this suggestion shouldnt apply to those indoor-arena/space/etc. maps). I know one thing you can do though... Im pretty sure almost all of the indoor arena maps have windows to look outside, just change that bit there ;) or something similar.

Is it possible? And what you think?

Last edited:

Discord

surveying the wreckage...
Nov 6, 2002
Somewhere on Route 666
Somebody made an actor for UT2k4 that sort of did this, but it just ended up making it rain or snow sporadically.

It would be a big job for mappers, having to rig up lighting schemes for both day and night, and also having to generate several skyboxes.

Aside from the work involved, I think all that is possible...

that would be incredibly ****ing awesome if you could change both. it would change the way you play on most maps. everytime it would be at least SLIGHTLY different. maybe only in certain maps would be limited to certain time/weather settings due to their theme and setting.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Concrete and Light

It might be cool in CON/ONS, but it'd be a pain in the arse on DM/TCM/CTF. Not sure if day/night cycling would work really, it'd be a nightmare to end up playing in darkness. There's only so far you can go with weather. It's rain/cloud/sun really. Maybe you could stick wind in their, as long as it blew trees etc around realistically and not anything that matter to gameplay (weapon projectiles, fliers). Snow would be possible, but it wouldn't settle :)

Having said that, I can see it working if it was backed up with a specifically made map. Imagine a cityscape map, you'd have streelights, illuminated advertising signs (which light up as it gets dark) and the like. As you'd have bright characters and gunfire etc (as well as team beacons), it wouldn't massivly hurt gameplay either. Also, if it was an "active" city, then it'd be light enough anyway :) Maybe stick a "shoulderlight" mutator for maps like that, so that you at least get an active light source of your own.

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
Angel_Mapper said:
With 2k7's dynamic lighting it will definitely be possible, but I doubt Epic is going to waste their time with it.
Why do you call it a waste of time? I doubt it will take too long and plus, it would be amazing.

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
I agree with Sel, Ons/Con could work maybe but not the other gametypes.
Well i guess you could have a map like DM-Rankin and let it rain outside or Sunrise, snowing etc. Stuff that wouldnt affect the playable areas of the map, that could work i guess.

Jun 23, 2004
www.jumpinjuggernuts.com
I hate bad lighting. It's BS when a player gets an advantage over another player just because he uses different gamma settings and such. Hiding in shadows isn't what ut is about. Being able to interact with the map is good. Crap lighting is bad. World effects and lighting shouldn't have any effect on gameplay.

Last edited:

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
http://www.humus.ca/index.php?page=3D&ID=51 assuming that whatever planet or world they are on, the sunlight or equivalent of it moves in a definite direction, then this will be perfect for those beautiful sunsets or equivalent where buildings cast long shadows etc etc

but on conquest, where its basically a match that lasts indefinitely, it would be cool to see like when you go in at a time that's daytime for the server, it'd be the same in-game...
as an extension, i wonder if you can stream skyboxes like you stream levels... someone whos dedicated to taking good pictures of the sky (like a metereological service or something) can continuously supply textures to a server, which then streams it to the clients, perhaps even changing some attributes like ambientbrightness colour...

to improve the aspect of the game that deals with differing weather, and perhaps seasons, on levels, i say that the lightmaps should be modular for each level, different lightmaps can be built for different times of days and seasons, and the rest of the map can stay exactly the same... imagine that, static lightmaps that are almost no longer static...

Last edited:

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
carmatic said:
http://www.humus.ca/index.php?page=3D&ID=51 assuming that whatever planet or world they are on, the sunlight or equivalent of it moves in a definite direction, then this will be perfect for those beautiful sunsets or equivalent where buildings cast long shadows etc etc

but on conquest, where its basically a match that lasts indefinitely, it would be cool to see like when you go in at a time that's daytime for the server, it'd be the same in-game...
as an extension, i wonder if you can stream skyboxes like you stream levels... someone whos dedicated to taking good pictures of the sky (like a metereological service or something) can continuously supply textures to a server, which then streams it to the clients, perhaps even changing some attributes like ambientbrightness colour...

to improve the aspect of the game that deals with differing weather, and perhaps seasons, on levels, i say that the lightmaps should be modular for each level, different lightmaps can be built for different times of days and seasons, and the rest of the map can stay exactly the same... imagine that, static lightmaps that are almost no longer static...
You seem to say ITS POSSIBLE, so why'd you vote 'ITS NOT POSSIBLE'?

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
aauugghh!! you can see who voted for what? hoooww????

::edit:: uhhmm i meant to say, uhh... like, its not possible , if epic doesnt make it possible! thats right

Last edited:

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
carmatic said:
aauugghh!! you can see who voted for what? hoooww????

::edit:: uhhmm i meant to say, uhh... like, its not possible , if epic doesnt make it possible! thats right
:lol:

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
It's a good idea, but difficult to make...
I would like to see a city ONS/CON map in which the night is comes slowly and lots of lamps begin to switch on... and more lights inside the buildings switch on and off... :D

Mætlöaff

Apr 10, 2004
img378.imageshack.us
I could see them doing it with maybe one or two maps, but it wouldn't be a central feature, just a neat visual effect that wouldn't affect gameplay that would be on a select few maps for atmosphere.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Where's the "I'm indifferent either way" option? I'm pretty sure Epic will have an option to turn off weather effect to make people more visible ...eeeehm, to save framerates... so that would nullify this option.

What's the meaning of the "it's impossible" option? Given enough time, it's certainly possible (as if computers couldn't handle the concept of changing weather/time). The point is...will it be interesting enough to add it to the game?

(Angelmapper even uses system times in her Tamearia mod).

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Changing the wheather at will has too much of an impact on the atmosphere of a map.
Imagine a desert-themed map and a server deciding it should be snowing ...

Maps that are set 'outside' could benefit from a day/night-cycle provided that 'night' is more like a 'full moon' kind of darkness and less like total darkness.

Of course that's ignoring the fact that alien planets might have multiple suns & moons.

Perhaps all we really need is mappers that can create more interesting skies instead of relying on one of the defaults as provided by Epic ...