Unreal Engine 4 In The Works

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
An article on Computer and Video Games features Mark Rein spilling the beans on Unreal Engine 4.0, most notably the fact that it's already two years into the development cycle!

"Unreal 4 is totally groundbreaking and totally the way games will be done in the future," Rein continued. " I don't expect it to be staffed up as a team for a while. But when people come to work at Epic, they know they're going to be shaping the future of the videogame business."
Well our gobs were well and truly smacked at this bombshell, because we've seen what Unreal 3 can do already and we're only at the beginning it's potential going into the next gen. Imagine what it'll be like in three year's time when developers have got a full handle on it and can use it to maximum potential with Epic's mature toolset.

Additionally, Mark announced that they currently have about 14 positions available at Epic.

"We're really looking for top talent, nobody should imagine they're paid too well now or that they're too entry level to apply. We're looking for talent. Top talent."

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
I bet if TWTW really wanted to, he could get one of those positions considering the work he's already done with them.

wow, 2 years already in dev. So do they start a new engine every 2 years? This is rather amazing, but also troublesome. Shouldn't they be focoused on UE3. Or is UE3 already done, and they just need to polish it and make games for it? Either way, this is great for Epic. They are really taking the cake in th VGD area.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The Jackal-XMP said:
wow, 2 years already in dev. So do they start a new engine every 2 years? This is rather amazing, but also troublesome. Shouldn't they be focoused on UE3. Or is UE3 already done, and they just need to polish it and make games for it? Either way, this is great for Epic. They are really taking the cake in th VGD area.
IIRC they have two Engine Development teams. One is for R&D on future products and the other is for support and development on current generation technology. Tim Sweeney "leads" them both.

Mad Max RW

Road Warrior
Nov 13, 2003
www.duckandcover.net
I think they're out of their minds announcing the next-Next generation Unreal engine. All it does is give the competition a chance to crush them when the time comes.

Mad Max RW

Road Warrior
Nov 13, 2003
www.duckandcover.net
If UE4 is just an updated UE3 then fine..whatever. But when you get stuff like "Unreal 4 is totally groundbreaking and totally the way games will be done in the future" it's getting ridiculous. Epic is setting themselves up for a fall by being so in your face right now, long before they can deliver. It's nothing more than a marketing ploy.

Jaenos

Aug 6, 2005
I know I tried and was turned down(I dont believe they looked at my reel but my resume, hehe) but yeah they really want the top top top people.

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Meanwhile all cool new ideas go to UE4 and UE3, though originally touted to be "totally groundbreaking and the way games will be done in the future" by Epic forever while being developed, ends up totally forgotten and utter crap.

Just kidding. I'm sure there's probably about two people working on UE4, and they're probably both genius programmers like whoa. You need larger teams of developers for making actual game content, not an engine (I would think, at least).

MrBond

ZHP Founder
Sep 23, 2003
USA
zerohour-productions.net
Hmmm....hype it up and fail to meet the expectations, or hold back and blow away everything? As I recall, the latter situation occured with the release of Unreal. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
Sir_Brizz said:
IIRC they have two Engine Development teams. One is for R&D on future products and the other is for support and development on current generation technology. Tim Sweeney "leads" them both.

Dont forget the team thats working on UE5...They have been working on it for a year.:lol:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It's not that hard to comprehend. They have one team that is fleshing out the feature set for UE3 (yes, even the ENGINE has a design spec) and another team that is working on R&D for UE4.

Every company does it, and, to some extent, talks about it publically. Just because UE4 is named and not just called "our next engine" shouldn't have any bearing on whether it's too early or not./ Several game companies talk about their future games/engines 5 years or so before they are actually released.

Retodon8

Sheep happens!
Jan 21, 2004
Netherlands
retodon8.net
Well, the other option would be to sit back and do nothing until a game using your current technology is in the stores, which could (actually should) take quite a while, which would be a waste of time and money.
What's there not to get, or the other way around: What would improve if they waited for something almost completely unrelated before working on something new?

Time to buy new computers? :)
Yeah right, I actually decided I'd wait a little bit after UT2007 was announced to be released maybe halfway 2006.
Otherwise I would've had new hardware by now, but I don't really need it yet anyway I suppose.