Opera Internet Browser 7.50 final released

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
Opera, the popular "Every feature" free internet browser, has just released a major new version. Some new features are:

-User interface redesigned
-Chat client
-RSS newsfeeds
-Fast full-text indexing of e-mail messages
-Support for spell check
-Graphical smileys in chat and e-mail

However, most of the smaller, less important features will be more noticed.
The browser, commonly brought up in debates along with FireFox[/r], features flawless popup blocking, multi-tab skinnable interface, a mail client, a chat client, complete and quick configurability, and the fastest rated page loading time. The free version includes banner ads at the top, a purchased registry key disables these.

Download Opera 7.50 for free
View changelog

*awaits heated firefox vs opera debate*

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
Boost the speed from Firefox-TWEAK

Whit this tweak you will get faster loading speeds whit Firefox.

The first thing you have to do:
open Firefox and type in the adress field:

Code:
about :config
hit enter,now you get a page whit a bunch settings from firefox.

Search for following:

Code:
nglayout.initialpaint.delay  /change the value to "0" instead of "standard" "250".

- network.http.max-connections  /change value to "64"

- network.http.max-connections-per-server   /change value into "21"

- network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server   /change value into "8"

Now restart browser and you should notice faster loading-speeds

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=380307

Edit:
Code:
about :config
doesn't seem to work here. hmmm have to look at that.

Edit: Its about:config no space

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=53650&highlight=nglayout
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=76546&highlight=nglayout
http://preferential.mozdev.org/preferences.html

Last edited:

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
Thank you for the tips benmcl, Firefox feels much faster now. :)
I prefer Firefox over Opera (last version I have is 7.22) because there is too much stuff in the menus, I'm searching most times. :D
I like it plain and simple (where I can modify everything) :)
But I'll give 7.50 a try.

Edit: At the first glance 7.50 seems to be much better sturctured than the old versions were.

Last edited:

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
Well my favorite features of Opera are the "Open in background tab page" right-click option, dynamic fast post-everything zoom (even on flash and movies!), and the ability to place small icons for quick links right next to your address bar. The last time i tried firefox (or whatever it was called back then, Firefly or FlamingBagOfSh*t), it didn't have any of those features, and it was slower. I'm not going to bother hunting down plugins on the depths of the internet for features that it should have.

erehwoN

The Bass Ackwards BTL
May 30, 2001
Wyoming, USA
Visit site
I started using Firefox (and Thunderbird) a few weeks ago. I really like the clean interface, but it was a hassle having to install extensions. But, the ones I got are pretty slick. I've had Opera for a long time, just don't use it a whole lot. I'm not a fan of the ads.

BobTheFearlessFish

Jun 2, 2000
Nottingham, England
yeah. i love opera. is great. mouse gestures are wonderful. the only thing i hate is the email system. i dont mind that they decided to try a new concept. its just that i like having my email as part of my browser. and i hate their system.

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
BobTheFearlessFish said:
yeah. i love opera. is great. mouse gestures are wonderful. the only thing i hate is the email system. i dont mind that they decided to try a new concept. its just that i like having my email as part of my browser. and i hate their system.

"Remove" the email client/chat in tools/preferences/program and paths/ uncheck the check box "shox email client"

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
friend of mine turned me on to opera a year or two ago.. never looked back since, though i think i did prefer the older versions that were more "simplistic" being a dial up user i really like the feature where you can turn imagines off or partially off so you can load things up much faster.

sandworm

[UMC] E-something
Mar 8, 2000
under a napkin
Visit site
I've heard of a lot of people preferring firefox's minimalistic interface compared to Opera's default, but Opera can be configured just as simply.

Here's mine shaved down to my bare essentials:

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 49

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
The difference is that you have to remove things.
I am adding those things I like.

All the menus are too "filled", the RM is also not really "clean" imo.
Opera has some nice features like "tile" but for me it is just too confusing. I don't have a problem creating my own menus with Firefox, managing the entries ...
And finally I just want a browser (without advertisment --> no I won't pay for Opera) not more and not less.

I don't want to ask anyone to use Firefox, I just think everyone should use what he likes but should know the alternatives (only knowing IE can be a mistake nowadays).

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
i'd quickly switch to firefox any day if it had an "open in background tab" and equally efficient popup blocking.

[edit] nevermind, i just downloaded it and noticed it had changed dramatically. It is still missing the dynmaic zooming feature of opera, but its still nice. Was a pain to migrate my bookmarks tho. I'll try it out for the next week or so and see how it is. Can't be too bad if it uses the same javascript code as IE. Windowsupdate.com still refuses it though ;)

Last edited:

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
Hey there guys. I'd like to introduce myself - I'm an Opera retard. Perhaps you can help me get comfortable through some customization. I'm sure most of these are easy, but I'm an Opera retard.

1. I'd like to have the download window stay in the back ground. It keeps coming up if I donwload something. How can I stop it?
2. Is it possible to assign a mouse button or easy click option to Quick Download a link? Ideally something like Middle Mouse to quick download?
3. Could I have a toggle option (like a quick preference?) that would allow me to force links that try to open in a new window instead open in the existing window?
4. Any chance of modifying the corresponding mouse waving results? Like changing one to Save Target As or Quick Download?

Anything you guys could suggest would be a big help.