A genuinely 3D view?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kerr Avon

Jan 22, 2008
You know those "3D glasses" they have in cinemas sometimes, and for watching some TV programs, or some magazine articles? Where each "lense" is a different colour plastic, and so you can see a 2D image in 3D, like when you watch Jaws 3D, My Bloody Valentine 3D, etc? Well, is there a way of using these glasses with Unreal Tournament (or Unreal Tournament 2004)? Given the proliferation of other mods and addons for the UT games, I'd imagine that some people must have attempted such a thing.

And when you think about it, since a 3D graphics card (so far as I know) simply takes all of the object data from the controlling program, and the co-ordinates and direction of the point of view of the player, and then draws what the player would see, then since the 3D card effectively knows where everything is in the virtual world, then can't either DirectX or OpenGL use this knowledge to draw 3D glasses compatible screens?

Or am I way off the mark here? Has anyone ever tried to do this for UT/UT2004 or for any other games?

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Nvidia released a card that did the same thing round about 2000. There was also something more recent like last year or the year before. It seems that either they're a flop each time or are in limited numbers.

Skillz

ut-files.com
Nov 29, 2003
www.planetmonsterhunt.com
Nvidia released a card that did the same thing round about 2000. There was also something more recent like last year or the year before. It seems that either they're a flop each time or are in limited numbers.

Maybe it was nvidia, because it was around 2000.

Personally, I just don't think they look all that good. The quality sucks with them.

Adelheid

Bernstein
Jan 23, 2008
Nowhere.
The problem is that the jump to 3D is neither impressive nor required. Look at it this way:

Black and White to Colour - Was always going to happen, the consumer wanted it to happen, and when it did happen film and tv became much more immersive. Even now people can be heard to say "They should have made that in colour".

2D to 3D - When was the last time you watched a film and thought "This needs 3D"? Remember Jaws 3D? Remember the hype? "Oh my god Jaws cameright out of the screen at me and i wet myself". I've seen that film... the 3D ruined what little was left to ruin; It's pretty hard to be afraid of what looks like an angy Perch.

In my opinon 3D will never take off in any place except the workplace.
Besides, can you imagine the complaining on the servers?
"OMG, how did you do that? HAXX!"
"No, not hacks, depth perception."
"Wut?"
"I have a 3D card."
"HAXX"
"Sigh"

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
3D effects are just terrible gimmicks. I hate how they are getting more frequent in movies.

Kerr Avon

Jan 22, 2008
I just thought that if there was a method of using 3D glasses (for a 3D view) on UT then I'd give it a go. I agree though that it's not a major step forward in films, as the edge of the screen, where the image of course ends, always reminds you that it's an illusion, even if you manage to convince yourself that you're seeing a reasonable approximation of 3D. But I had thought (hoped?) that maybe in a game it would make the immersion greater.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
But I had thought (hoped?) that maybe in a game it would make the immersion greater.

It probably would. The limitation seems to be with screen resolution. The 3d glasses are already a small surface so it's difficult to cram as many pixels on there as a normal screen. Not only that but, since the surface is closer to the eye, the resolution would actually have to be higher than on a normal screen to give something equivalent. If those problems can be sorted, the 3d glasses would have a better chance of going mainstream.

Diehard

I vagually recall someone has been working on this for either Unreal or UT not too long ago, like last year or before that. If so i also have screenies, but no clue where to begin looking for those. But i am pretty sure someone has been working on it and posted screenshots as well.

Thing is, i dont recall if i saw it here or at www.OldUnreal.com