I just had a brilliant idea!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
Everyone wants Duke Nuken Forever right? And it will never get released because it doesnt exist, right? Well. Why doesnt someone just take the current build of the Unreal Engine and make a UT2k3 mod or something called like "Spluke Glukem Foeva" and we'll make our own DNF?

Seriously, I wonder if 3DRealms realizes how much they get made fun of. If I was getting made fun of THAT much, I think I would put my dev team into high gear, dont you?

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Actually, an even better lampoon would be to make a faux DNF demo... imagine this...

FADE IN - the city. Dark. The city's lights twinkle in the purple mist of dusk. Pan down to street level.

Duke puts on a pair of shades, cocks his shotgun and utters some guttural badass one-liner like "let's kick some ass" or "make my forever" or whatever.

Level begins - you're in an alleyway. You run up to a door, open it and walk through...

YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHING YET!!! BE SURE AND PURCHASE THE FULL RELEASE OF DUKE NUKEM FOREVER IF (er, we mean, when) IT COMES OUT!!!

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Doesn't Duke Nukem Forever run on the UT engine?

I mean look at the screenshots. The engine has become outdated and the graphics look like crap by todays standards.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Twisted Metal said:
Doesn't Duke Nukem Forever run on the UT engine?

I mean look at the screenshots. The engine has become outdated and the graphics look like crap by todays standards.
that's why it's being delayed for so long. the dev team switched engines 3 times. remember how long half life1 was delayed due to only 1 engine switch!

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
That's because the retards can't manage to finish a game before the engine they're currently using becomes obsolete.

19991103l.jpg

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Pineconeboy said:
That's because the retards can't manage to finish a game before the engine they're currently using becomes obsolete.

19991103l.jpg
so you'd expect them to release an unfinished game rather than a perfect one which takes a bit longer?
I'd rather weit longer for games if this would mean not having to patch 'em afterwards.

Sam_The_Man

I am the Hugh Grant of Thatcherism
Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
Balton said:
that's why it's being delayed for so long. the dev team switched engines 3 times. remember how long half life1 was delayed due to only 1 engine switch!

Wasn't that what happened with Daikatana, only even more so?

IMO DNF was cancelled years ago, and they're just waiting for the right time to break the news that there will be no DNF to their shareholders.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Sam_The_Man said:
Wasn't that what happened with Daikatana, only even more so?

IMO DNF was cancelled years ago, and they're just waiting for the right time to break the news that there will be no DNF to their shareholders.
no no... daikatana simply sucked :D

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
3D Realms would be all over a Duke mod before you could make the first model. I used to review for Deja-Review and they told us to remove all the duke maps from the database. Even though it's a terrific license and 3D Realms is butchering it so much it makes baby jesus cry theres nothing you can do about it because they still hold the copyright.