Any Kevin Smith fans here?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
I don't think he forgot Mallrats. That was made by the evil Kevin Smith clone. We had that experiment terminated. :)

AtomicAxis

PHD in keeping it REAL!!
Mar 13, 2001
Sellout?

What is a sellout?

I kinda get the ****s about the whole label of being a sellout.

Why is he a sellout? because he made more movies for a bigger budget and got more money? Because they werent as good as the Clerks?

Since they were all a series (kinda) the chances of them being as good as the first were slim to say the least. I mean there are only a few sequels that are better than the original (read Godfather Part 2 etc).

It just seems that more and more these days people are being labelled as a sellout for being employed to do a job (the producers/Film studios do employ directors). I say so what if the quality isnt as good as the first but I am not going to label someone a sellout just because they make money doing what they love to do.

Oh yeah and point taken about Mallrats :)

BrownyMan

Poet, Gentleman, Infiltrator?
Mar 21, 2000
USA, NH
Visit site
:):)

"...I'm telling you Archie is not ****ing Mr. Weatherbee."
"Deny, Deny, Deny"
"Look he's just offering to help Archie with his homework."
"Read Between the lines bitch."

:D:)I LOVE KEVIN SMITH!!!!!:D:)

AtomicAxis

PHD in keeping it REAL!!
Mar 13, 2001
Mallrats

Maybe I came across wrong with that flippant remark. I didnt hate Mallrats I just thought his other movies where better (although Mallrats did have a coupla excellent moments).

Katton

Oook?
May 8, 2000
No, it's not just now, but just about everybody that I meet seems to hate Mallrats.
And while we're on the topic of Kevin-Smith-Movie-Bashing, why do so many people like Chasing Amy?
The only good part is the 5 minutes with Jay and Silent Bob.
I guess I just don't get it...

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
Well, as one from the anti-Mallrats camp, here it goes :
This is the worst of all possible sell-out movies that could have been made. We have the break-out hit with Clerks. He then proceeds to make a bigger budgeted studio movie, with pointless cameos galore, IMO moronic physical comedy, and poor writing. Now I'm all for nudity, especially when it's Joey Lauren Adams, but what's the real attraction to this movie? Plus Jason Lee, whom I've liked in everything but this, yells every line to no good effect. I just think it's a poor film, made worse considering what he's capable of.

As for Chasing Amy, I think that is what his followup should have been. Dialogue that exists for the story, well conceived characters, subtle and smart humor, and no stupid stunts.

I guess I just like him in dialogue and storytelling more than whatever Mallrats was.