Constantly reading from hard-drive=unplayable

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Little Recon

Nov 3, 2000
Visit site
Whenever I try to play a game, my computer is CONSTANTLY reading from the hard drive. I assume it is loading the level or graphics or something, because if I just sit there for like 20 seconds, it stops. I can then move forward a little or turn side to side a very little bit until it starts reading again. Once it starts reading, the game gets unplayably jumpy. If I try to run around and shoot anyone, its like watching a slide show. After being in the same area for a while though, it gets less jumpy. This totally sounds like a graphics loading problem to me, but I have no idea how to fix it.

Is this just how UT is or is there some way to fix it?

Thx

L.R.

Little Recon

Nov 3, 2000
Visit site
Thanks, but I think I figured it out. I set the engine cache size to like 40 megs and turned off the precaching (what the hell good is that precache anyway, all it does is make loading a level twice as long).

On a different note, does anyone know how to turn off precaching for OpenGl?

L.R.

Little Recon

Nov 3, 2000
Visit site
Thx, but I looked in the unrealtournament.ini and found the opengl renderer section and there is no mention of precache there. Any ideas?

L.R.