[UT2k3] A few different problems

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Shambler[sixpack]

May 3, 2001
Ireland
Visit site
There are a few problems that I have been trying to work out for a long time but have never posted about them anywhere before:

1:I have an actor which "hunts" for players on a map by alternating it's direction (changing it's direction in a predictable way) every couple of seconds, the problem I'm having is that it takes a good while before the location of this actor on the client is in sync with the server so for a long time I will see this actor in the wrong location on the client untill it eventually matches up.
When it's not hunting for a player (i.e. when it's found a player and is travelling to the player) it works 100% perfectly but it seems that the addition of the alternating direction code screws it up somewhat..
Any ideas?

2:Is there any way of making a mesh transparent even if you have NO reference to it's skin texture? (for instance, could you do it using the OverlayMaterial variable? I have tried and failed there but I'm not really experienced in materials so I wouldn't be suprised if I missed something)
The problem is that I can not find any way of figuring out a models skin in UScript unless it has been added to the Skins array in Actor.uc (most meshes that came with the game just have it directly mapped to their StaticMesh).
So I can't think of another way around this..

3:Finally my third problem, is there any way of finding out the size of a Mesh/StaticMesh in UScript?
What I am doing is drawing various scaled meshes on the players screen and I want each of them to be able to only take up a certain amount of screen space (say max 80 pixels on the Y axes and 128 on the X axis, as an example).

I have spent a lot of time working and searching Wiki/Forums for answers to these problems but obviously I've found none sofar.
I would love help with this! (be it someone explaining to me that some of these things are not possible would be help enough too)
Tnx...

Mychaeel

Suggestions for getting answers:
  1. Create one thread per distinct question.
  2. Give your thread a descriptive subject.

[Sixpack]-Shambler- said:
Finally my third problem, is there any way of finding out the size of a Mesh/StaticMesh in UScript?
Perhaps you can use the GetRenderBoundingSphere function (declared in Actor) on a StaticMeshActor.

Shambler[sixpack]

May 3, 2001
Ireland
Visit site
Mychaeel said:
Perhaps you can use the GetRenderBoundingSphere function (declared in Actor) on a StaticMeshActor.

Thank you very much, I've tested that function and it has solved the problem perfectly! (biggest problem I have had sofar) :D

I'll take your advice and post another two topics on the remaining problems, thanks again ;)