CTF question regarding S3TC

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Diehard

Because of this thread i had a look at the page from SquirrelSoftware.

I always thought that the materials from SquirrelSoftware only were used for Unreal. But now i noticed theres aslo talk about maps converted or made for UT. My question now is, does UT make use of the rctftxtr.utx package for CTF?

The reason i ask is, because already a year ago i made a large S3TC update for the Unreal version, and now i wonder if its usefull to release that same package for UT ?

If someone can provide an answer to that question would be cool.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
My question now is, does UT make use of the rctftxtr.utx package for CTF?

I have never seen or downloaded that texture package in all the time I've played UT. I looked in my folders and cache and nothing either.

The reason i ask is, because already a year ago i made a large S3TC update for the Unreal version, and now i wonder if its usefull to release that same package for UT ?

I thought that people could use those same S3TC textures in UT as well already. Like the regular utx files can be just installed into UT without any problems and use them for mapping and so on, can't they just use the Unreal S3TC textures and install them into UT?

I know that a lot of people have used all the Unreal textures in custom maps specially MonsterHunt maps and of course they are compatable in both engines. So, I thought that your S3TC textures were as well and didnt need to have a version for each engine.

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Diehard

PM a member here named Diehard. He'll be able to answer your questions for sure. I too think that the S3TC textures can be used both in Unreal and in UT.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Well, it looks like even Diehard doesn't know the answer. Did you pass on your coffee today Hermskii ;) ?

Diehard

PM a member here named Diehard.

I tried it, but for some reason he refused to give me an answer, than again, I know from others he never liked me ;)

I thought that people could use those same S3TC textures in UT as well already. Like the regular utx files can be just installed into UT without any problems and use them for mapping and so on, can't they just use the Unreal S3TC textures and install them into UT?

If i am correct, the mod backthan was developed for Unreal(unreal didnt have the CTF gametype) by SquirelSofware. Together with the mod they created a 11Mb big texture package since Unreal doesnt have native CTF textures. They simply had to create a brandnew package for it(192 textures) to make it work.

UT already had the CTF gametype build in, and got its own set of native textures. So UT always was ready to go. The package does aim towards Unreal and they never changed it in favor for UT. But needs to be said 99% of the textures apply to UT just fine. But they already made a bunch of maps, and after UT was released they ported all maps to UT, and that also means the package has been used for those maps. So those maps must make use of the package, and likelly others may have used the package as well.

Possible maps that make use of the package:

McSwartzly Base
UnderDwellers
Pour The Milk
Dark Keep

Read this !!!

I did make however a bad error in the initial post ! The name of the package is RealCTFtxtrs.utx an NOT rctftxtr.utx

Which means i have to ask it again(Diehard <--- :rolleyes:) Is this package being used for UT ?

War_Master

May 27, 2005
PM a member here named Diehard. He'll be able to answer your questions for sure. I too think that the S3TC textures can be used both in Unreal and in UT.
You have won the 'Confusion of the Year' title this time Hermskii, but I will practice my Kung-Fu even harder and create my own style to defeat you next year. You just watch.:crazydance:

Anyway, I have played the McSwartzly Base map hundreds of times before and dont remember seeing any custom textures in it. I will try to find it today to see if it needs that package.

Now, if they ported the maps to UT, why would they need to port a package with CTF textures when the game already has plenty of them? I think that the most obvious thing they would have done was to use the ones already included in UT and prevent the extra download. But, in the other hand, they probably didn't know what they were doing and used their custom package anyways. Well, if the package is used in Unreal a lot then it would be a good idea to S3TC it depending on how much those maps are played or maybe depending on user's votes just in case.

Diehard

Anyway, I have played the McSwartzly Base map hundreds of times before and dont remember seeing any custom textures in it. I will try to find it today to see if it needs that package.

I already found out that that specific map doesnt make use of the package.

Now, if they ported the maps to UT, why would they need to port a package with CTF textures when the game already has plenty of them? I think that the most obvious thing they would have done was to use the ones already included in UT and prevent the extra download.

True, but needs to be said, the package does contain a large amount of new CTF textures, though UT has alot of CTF textures, at the same time they are very limited, when looking at the RealCTFtxtrs package and compare that one with the native UT CTF textures.

You can have a look at the textures at this link: RealCTFtxtrs.utx(mainly the NonGroup part) And i didnt gave the link before, to prevent people from downloading the S3TC package on the bottom of those pages. So a warning is at its place here: Do NOT use the downloads for the moment !!!

But, in the other hand, they probably didn't know what they were doing and used their custom package anyways.

Well, dont forget they did put alot of work in that mod, years before UT saw the daylight, and they may have released it prior to release of UT, while Epic "stole" the CTF idea. But I asume though it was a joint efford :)

Well, if the package is used in Unreal a lot then it would be a good idea to S3TC it depending on how much those maps are played

Or, its about damn time UT mappers find out theres another cool CTF (S3TC) package lying around for like.........12 years ;)

Well, if the package is used in Unreal a lot then it would be a good idea to S3TC it depending on how much those maps are played or maybe depending on user's votes just in case.

Basically the package is already done(as said, i made the S3TC version a year or even a year and a half ago), so i can release it within a few minutes so to speak. But the secondary problem is, i need a base package(e.g. the correct normal UT package) to make sure it has the correct netcompatibility. And it could very well be, that the download for the Unreal section is already 100% compatible with the UT version. I asume it is already netcompatible, but i would like to see a bit more proove lol :p

P.S. i will do a bit of work on the package, since i have alot more S3TC textures from the DecayedS package that i didnt have a year ago.

Originally Posted by Hermskii
Diehard, PM a member here named Diehard.

ROFL! Quote of the month!

When poor Hermskii got up, he never though he would be the center of alotta jokes about him here on the forums today.

O wait............, he never woke up ;) :p

Exus Tecius

like diamonds in the sky
Sep 24, 2003
Visit site
:lol:
hermskii you are surely married.only married guys can be confused like that:D

PS: a member called exus tecius told me that.

Last edited:

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Umm?

I'm telling you guys that you just have to ask Diehard. He knows everything about these S3TC textures. I don't understand what all of the confusion is here. Are you people on drugs or something. Diehard rules with this stuff. I'll try to email for you and send a link to this forum thread. He'll have this fixed up in a jiffy! He'll have it fixed so fast it will be like he went back in time and was the first one to post about it here as if he didn't know the answer just so that he can tell us how he worked around it and resolved the issue at a later date. You people all act like he was the one who started this thread and was asking the question in the first place. That falls right in line with my theory right? OK then. Now, to answer your questions; yes, I was awake but barely after working a 60+ hour week. I was in fact semi drunk being it was my first night off in forever. Yes, I am married and I am over 40 and I do have 2 children both under the age of 5.

OK, enough excuses almost but in my defense, I was just trying to help with the best answer I knew to give and I was not aware of who had posted the issue originally. Also, for the record, no monsters were harmed in the making of my Monster Hunt Mayhem server. Thank you.

Diehard

Trust me Hermskii, no one was attacking you, but it simply was funny :) And if got off guard it can happen to anyone. So, no need to defend yourself. And of course everybody knows you were trying to help, just like everyone on these forums, again theres no question about that.

All together i guess we had all a good laugh about and nothing more. Which is what you should do as well, its after all a good story to tell your grandchildren in about 20-25 years ;)

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
LOL

Don't worry, I'm all good. It was a mistake on my part and a funny one. I'm glad we got to enjoy it so much! It is true though.....No monsters were harmed in the making of my Monster Hunt Mayhem server.

Protos

Jan 23, 2008
R E L E A S E - T H E - H O U N D S ! ! ! !

I mean the textures :)

images

Last edited:

Diehard

I unpacked all CTF maps to see if the opackage was been used, and it resulted in a very limited amount of maps.

R E L E A S E - T H E - H O U N D S ! ! ! !

I mean the textures :)

I will release the package, and i kinda decided to use the Unreal base package as base for S3TC UT package as well. But i will upgrade a few more textures that originate from the DecayedS package. That way, it will have the very last updates available. Give me a week or so, cause i also have to create the webpages for UT for the downloads and the Texture Database.