Side jump problem.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
My right jump or double right jump isn't working.

If I'm holding the forward and the left button and I jump, I can jump and double jump to the left, it's my sorta circle jump straife and it works fine.

But! if I hold the forward and the right button and then jump it doesn't work?

Same thing happens in another FPS game I play.

My Right = 3 (keypad) and left = 1 (keypad) and jump = right arrow (pinky)

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

DaBeatard

Mr.How
Nov 20, 2002
Visit site
First thing, it never works?
Second, are you maybe holding down too many keys at once? Some keyboards don't like more than 3 keys pressed at once (or so I've heard).

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
I can't change keys, I'm too used to the way they are. And I dont' like the way "wasd" feels, it's too floaty for me. I like having my thumb anchored on the side.

And it can't be the '3 key thing at the same time' either because it works in one direction but not in the other.

And how can it be an "arrow" key problem, it works when I double jump to the left?

Plus, I have the same setup at work and I've got no problems there.

I just thought there might be some XP setting that someone knew about.......

Thanks anyway. :)

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
bah don't be afraid to change your controlls. You might be "used" to it but I can garuntee that if you change you'll be just as happy if not more happy with the new scheme.

Here's why I don't suggest your current scheme:
The way you sit can dramatically affect your gaming performance. It might sound weird but it's totally true. If you've ever taken a typing class the first thing they teach is to sit properly. In fact you can see a difference of 20 wpm just based off how you sit. The proper way to sit is feet flat on the floor sitting up streight and with both arms comfortably extended in front of you to each side. Now look at the picture below. With an esdf or similar scheme your arms are both comfortably extended in a natural position exactly like they should be. With your scheme you have to move your arm all the way over there near your first arm. Now you might not see any problem with this but it can have drastic effects on you. This one little change can totally screw you up. In fact I used to use a similar setup and once I went to esdf I saw a dramatic improvment. In fact with my old setup I could not hit anything at all with the lg and now in a no lag enviroment I do pretty average. In UT1 I went from having trouble with inept bots to owning godlike bots. All this because I moved my hand.

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 26

DaBeatard

Mr.How
Nov 20, 2002
Visit site
All that I can think of Hanover is to double check you user.ini file and make sure that something isn't bound to that key, whether it is an alias or a keybind. Also, if you have any other programs running in the background that certain key combinations do stuff for might be an issue.
I don't know, I'm just grasping at straws now.

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
I appreciate your efforts TWD..ole buddy, and your leet mspaint drawing skills would be the envy of that famous dago....you know....the one that painted that church ceiling, with the two naked guys touching fingers.....?

But being a Design Engineer I have a tendency to think outside the box.

Check this.......I moved my keyboard to the left and angled it so that my wrist is straight and my hand comfortably falls on the keypad.

All I need is to get my right double jump working.......that's all.

Sometimes.... it's easier to wear slippers than to carpet the whole world [/Stewart Smally]

thanks for the backup on ReconGamer last night BTW :tup:

Last edited:

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Yeah well I used to use the arrow keys and that's what I did too but there's other problems associated with that. Mostly typing and lack of desk space. If anything move from the keypad to the arrowkeys it gives you a much wider selection of keys.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Hanover, this is COMPLETELY off the wall, and may not even be worth trying....

Open up something like Word and test your keys there. Try typing hitting the keys the same way you would if you were going forward and jumping to the left. Then try to the right. By seeing what types on the screen, it may give you an idea of what the problem is. If the two mirror each other, then you know it's something in your game setting. If not, then it's probably something set up in XP.

As DaBeatard mentioned, I'm just grasping at whatever I can to help, and this may not even be worth posting.

Okay, I tried thinking outside the box, and now I'm lost. Can someone give me a ride home? ;)

Good luck.