Flag Pack 2004 Released

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
We are talking about CTF and not DM. Just by the sheer number of DM maps included, there had to be some good ones in it.
But in comparison CTF entries were lacking in numbes. CTF-Pistola is very good, but that's it pretty much

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Gameplay > All

8-4-7-2 said:
We are talking about CTF and not DM. Just by the sheer number of DM maps included, there had to be some good ones in it.
But in comparison CTF entries were lacking in numbes. CTF-Pistola is very good, but that's it pretty much

CTF-Betrayal from CBP1 was a great map as well, but you're right, the level of the CBP maps as a whole was laughable.

Odds - That just about sums it up completely :tup:

S

sp_lit

8-4-7-2 said:

someone else brought DM into it earlier and said ALL the CBP maps were poor gameplay and i was pointing out they are incorrect, before you comment on something try reading the whole thread. ffs n00b. :)

i will readily admit that that BR map in CBP2 is the biggest pile os sh*t i have ever played. BR-Templus is better than that. On the other hand that BR map in CBP1 is awesome. and yes, i know again i'm not talking about CTF....

Desp2/ROG

Mar 5, 2004
Jersey
www.planetunreal.com
GIdenJoe said:
I've been playing games for quite a while now, and I must say my likes have narrowed much during the years. Games cannot keep me interested like it used to when I was younger. I used to play console games all day long, now 30 minutes of console play is too much.

But there is one thing that does keep me interested and that is the competitive feel to it. That's why I very much adhere to shooters and fighting games and herein lies the reason why I myself have trouble to keep playing cbp maps because the game itself doesn't interest me that much, but competition does. So when we play CTF, it's usually orbital2, lostfaith and grendelkeep. In ut it was always coret, face, hydro16 coz these maps just feel right to play team vs team. And that's what I kinda missed in both cbp maps. Great designs, great looks, but no longer played after the first day and I think these maps kinda appeal more to the less experienced or younger player coz he's not grown tired of just playing games.

So once again, I'm not bashing cbp, but those appeal to an entirely different group of players. And I can say with confidence that we filled a gap with our flag pack :)

See I do not mind when it is put in those terms etc I understand this is a great pack and it filled a much needed gap I love CTF as well one of the first game-types I made maps for in the quake days.

I was just getting a little fed up with the CBP <<< Flag pack comments going around and yes the CBP had its share of lower quality maps but saying the above with a straight face really annoying especially when so much time and effort has been put on it. It is almost like we have made free enemies all around world when we created CBP2 that we have the official anti CBP group who loves to push our buttons all the time. Do you guys honestly love to push the issue?

Why can I not see a thread for a map-pack not say anything about CBP being the worst horrid thing on the living human earth pile of piss with hair growing on it… Either way I guess I can say any kind of publicity is good publicity ;) But yep it never fails in any map-pack type post.

Both packs have flaws and both have positive points.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Yes, both do have strong points and flaws. I also like both packs.

To be fair, you should look back through the threads generated when we announced the release of both CBP's. There was quite a bit of adoration there. Sure, the hardcore crowd picked on a few, but overall the response was incredible. It's easily one of the most downloaded files that we ever put up here at BeyondUnreal.

You did some great work in there Rog, as did many of the other mappers that contributed to the pack. Don't think for a second that it's not appreciated! :)

Zlal

New but not improved.
Nov 4, 2001
Exeter
The "pro" gamer side of unreal seems a lot more agressive than any other, IMO. Maybe thats because they are more competitive, I don't know.

ODDS, what do you mean a map with bad gameplay will be played less than a map with no visuals? Works the other way round IMO. CampingGrounds is a great example - no visuals but one of the most played maps (and one of my least favourates, saying that)

LMAO, at artists trying to label their work as levels as well. It plays ingame, yes? It's a level. Graphics arn't a bonus, they are a vital part of the level. Without graphics, a level is just a bland, boring "place". I don't care if the map had the best gameplay ever, if it was a cube, I would not play it.

Maybe for "pro" gamers it's different. But you guys are a minority.

Desp2/ROG

Mar 5, 2004
Jersey
www.planetunreal.com
hal said:
Yes, both do have strong points and flaws. I also like both packs.

To be fair, you should look back through the threads generated when we announced the release of both CBP's. There was quite a bit of adoration there. Sure, the hardcore crowd picked on a few, but overall the response was incredible. It's easily one of the most downloaded files that we ever put up here at BeyondUnreal.

You did some great work in there Rog, as did many of the other mappers that contributed to the pack. Don't think for a second that it's not appreciated! :)

Yeah I know what you mean :) It did get a huge response just that little bit of backlash from some very vocal few is getting to be wierd. Either way this is a great pack and it was sooooooo much needed since Epic has kind of forgot about CTF as of late :|

Also another pack is on the drawing board from what I have heard that will be a BU mappack! With some great mappers listed already or from what I heard...

Edit/// Also sorry for kind of invading just a tad guys. Hope people pick up this mappack and put it on many servers.

Last edited:

cubic

Aug 20, 2004
i don't even understand why u guys are arguing about this... it seems like some folks are really pissed off about comments like "FP2004 > CBP"... WTF is goin on here??? it's their personal oppinion so why argue about that? i really really loooooooove the looks of the cbp-maps and i often play them just to look at them... i never made those maps to rival CBP...

there was one single reason i made the maps for: playing!!!

i don't care what reviewers say about my maps (no offense Shadowlurker)... the maps aren't made for reviewers. the only thing that matters for me is that players like my maps... i can't do static meshes, i can't do textures myself... but i love to map... and most of the comments i got on my maps were really positive. a game is meant to be played and not to be looked at in the end imo. and this is what my maps are made for. nothing more, nothing less. i don't care about comments like "ur map looks soooooooo beautiful" or "ur map is that damn ugly". the only comments i care about are "it plays good" and "it doesn't play good". graphics aren't just a bonus for me. and if i had the skillz, i would have made the maps i did nicer... but i don't have 'em. so don't bash this mappack just because u don't like how it looks... if u don't wanna play it, just don't play it... i really don't care. i made those maps and i did my best. thats it. if one of the CBP-guys wanna help me on nicer visuals, u're welcome as long as it doesn't change gameplay.

play it or not... it's ur decision...

Last edited:

Desp2/ROG

Mar 5, 2004
Jersey
www.planetunreal.com
I agree I do not mind opinions as long as it does not seem like a band of losers coming to many forums that they know the CBP people will end up reading and for some reason these losers love to post horrible things about the CBP. To me it seems like a group of people who just want to have a weird vengeance on the CBP team that is all Im saying here basically. I have seen it happen and well it is getting to be to the point that it is just enough is enough let it go guys you do not have to be so pissed off at something you dislike and mention it to your dog, family, and friends all the time. If you like the flag map-packs love it and give these guys the credit that they deserve and do not stain them with another map-pack with comparisons. Comparisons at the end can be made but blatant attacks are just plain wrong for both sides because the end result is people like me chiming in and saying wtf at all this, This is not fun at all for both sides I guarantee it.

Really to me it seems like a much focused mob going against the CBP team. Nobody else has said anything about this on the team except me, perhaps I am just getting tired quicker of these things lately…

These guys even have audacity to say how we should make maps. Telling us to do Layouts first… hmm yeah… Done that… for a good while so check on that one. False claims piss me off greatly.

Damn sorry it had to go like this Flag pack guys on this forum. I am not angry at you guys at all, so please excuse my rudeness yet again.

I drop it of with this and let it go myself lol...

Edit/// just read some other CBP guys post and yeah I am not the only one who has seen this backlash on us for some odd reason.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
1 question and 1 comment.

I haven't played the maps yet, because I'm a little behind and am installing a bunch of maps and then playing all of them.

Q: Are there any music file conflicts with the files from the UTClassics2k4 MapPack? I noticed some files with the same name but different dates/sizes.

C: Everyone making mappacks! Please indicate which files go with which maps so we don't have to check the Editor every time. Thank you.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
CTF-FP-DuelingKeeps

Apparently, I played all the ones for this pack a while ago (and all are fun), but never wrote down my comments, but I just finished playing this one so I thought I'd comment on it.

I know I’ve seen it before and said it before for the other maps it is in but it’s still a nice skybox; like the added water to the middle section, UT2004 graphic upgrades and scaled well for UT2004; like the colored flags and banners; bots can defend and fun gameplay, but the bots a little on the easy side.

OK, so I do have something that shows which ones I liked best and, apparently, even though this one was still good it was my least favorite from the pack. My favorites were SpiderCrossings, Inamorata and Underground.:)

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Apparently, I played all the ones for this pack a while ago (and all are fun), but never wrote down my comments, but I just finished playing this one so I thought I'd comment on it.

I know I’ve seen it before and said it before for the other maps it is in but it’s still a nice skybox; like the added water to the middle section, UT2004 graphic upgrades and scaled well for UT2004; like the colored flags and banners; bots can defend and fun gameplay, but the bots a little on the easy side.

OK, so I do have something that shows which ones I liked best and, apparently, even though this one was still good it was my least favorite from the pack. My favorites were SpiderCrossings, Inamorata and Underground.:)
Yeah; those were the days. That was a good map.