San Andreas Textures

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

IvelDesigns

Feb 20, 2005
Has anyone here already ripped all of the useful textures from GTA San Andreas and packaged them into UT2k4 texture packages?

At this point, I am looking for building textures, land, water, roads, etc. Not to concerned about models (people, guns, cars, etc) yet, but those will also be needed.

I started putting a collection together last night, however, I figured I would ask here before I continued because at this rate, it is going to take me at least a week to get through all of the txd files found in the IMG packs.

Caravaggio

Custom User Text goes here.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Visit site
Have you tried field of fire? I haven't, but apparently it's trying to be in the GTA spirit.

That'd be a pretty good mod though, as nice as those games are I never really liked the GTA engine for anything but vehicles physics.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
crap001.jpg

crap002.jpg

Make yourself a nice map with these.

IvelDesigns

Feb 20, 2005
ok, so now you guys have me curious.

Is there some hatred of GTA here? Is it because of my less than 10 posts? Oh wait, is it because I'm trying to teach myself UT2k4 map making, and wanted to use GTA as a base?

Being a respected community of map builders, I was ass-u-me-ing a bit more hospitality for a noob like myself.

Gary MacDonald

Apr 14, 2000
Visit site
Seriously, no offense intended IvelDesigns. If you never plan on releasing your map then I am sure it's fine to use those textures, if you will eventually be releasing it to the public you cannot use art assets from another game. It's a form of software piracy, although I'm not going into any detail about it because it's been discussed many times on many game editing/mapping message boards. You can use the in-game textures from UT2004 or google yourself some free textures from various sites on the web. Don't get discouraged, just be careful since you cannot redistribute textures from one game when creating a mod/map for another game.

Cheers

JonAzz

UA Mapper
Aug 1, 2003
North of Philadelphia
yeah no offense to you, but you just kinda can't do that. if you want somre free textures for that search aroudn on google and such. I know there are a lot of freeware sites, and if you dont find anything and want to make you own... invest in photoshop, buy it, find it, get it whatever. :p

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Use ut2004 texture or your own , that's all.

we are all mappers for the community , and we all know what to do , there is plenty textures on the net , if you want a city map , like VCTF-ACTIONCITY.ut2 , i sugjest you dowload it , and look inside the readme to get the E-Mail of the author , and ask hom if you could use the textures he used

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
Is there some hatred of GTA here?
Nope I like the games, including Vice City.

Is it because of my less than 10 posts?
Hardly.

Oh wait, is it because I'm trying to teach myself UT2k4 map making, and wanted to use GTA as a base?
The crux here is that your simply asking for textures that have been ripped and done for you so that you can use it. Your not asking to use GTA as a base, your asking for someone to have done a large majority of work for you. First, RockStar for creating the textures, and then someone else for ripping them and then importing them into UT2004 (assuming their textures follow the same type of prerequisites such as powers of 2 dimensions). Besides, I think GTA: San Andreas uses bump mapping as well, which UT2004 cannot do ... so even then similar appearances cannot be achieved, but that is besides the point. It's fair enough your looking for textures, but asking for textures from a commercial game is a no no. It's slight form of asking for warez. I do realize that you are already putting together a texture package, but surely you could make place holders for textures to come later on? This is what a lot of people do to simply speed up the process of building a beta form of their project. Or create some of your own textures by using the other textures you have gathered.

Being a respected community of map builders, I was ass-u-me-ing a bit more hospitality for a noob like myself.
It is all dependent on how you act. Right now your sort of just acting like a noob who wants everything and anything.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
This is most near of asking on how to make an aim bot here.
So now you know , post wisely and you will get the answers.Simple enought?

By the way , i have Vice city , and this game is good (for a while , after the game is boring and it is always the same) ,but i will never use their textures.

Last edited:

IvelDesigns

Feb 20, 2005
[SAS]Solid Snake said:
Nope I like the games, including Vice City.

Hardly.

The crux here is that your simply asking for textures that have been ripped and done for you so that you can use it. Your not asking to use GTA as a base, your asking for someone to have done a large majority of work for you. First, RockStar for creating the textures, and then someone else for ripping them and then importing them into UT2004 (assuming their textures follow the same type of prerequisites such as powers of 2 dimensions). Besides, I think GTA: San Andreas uses bump mapping as well, which UT2004 cannot do ... so even then similar appearances cannot be achieved, but that is besides the point. It's fair enough your looking for textures, but asking for textures from a commercial game is a no no. It's slight form of asking for warez. I do realize that you are already putting together a texture package, but surely you could make place holders for textures to come later on? This is what a lot of people do to simply speed up the process of building a beta form of their project. Or create some of your own textures by using the other textures you have gathered.

It is all dependent on how you act. Right now your sort of just acting like a noob who wants everything and anything.

ok, points well taken. I understand what you are saying about ripping textures from an existing game is like asking for warez considering someone paid someone else to make that img.

that kind of puts a damper on the map I was wanting to make considering I have very minimal graphic skills (i write code). However, this brings me to another question. What are the general guidelines for modifying existing works? For example, if i extract a texture from GTA and open it in photoshop and make some changes, does that make it my work, and therefore, redistributable? Or does that fall in the same category as using it directly?

as for the textures being the correct format, etc, from what i have seen of the textures i have played with so far they all seem to work quite well. There are many that are super small (assuming they are used in long range views) but the majority are very usable. I have skinned a couple builgins (just an add cube with a skin, no mesh) and layed out some roads with side walks (sheets) and they all look great.

thanks for the feedback

JonAzz

UA Mapper
Aug 1, 2003
North of Philadelphia
ummm taking the texture and modifiying it slightly doesnt work, I tried it before :D
the only way to use the textures from san andreas is to get permission from rockstar... good luck with that.

just try soem free sites for city like textures, tehy shouldnt be that hard to find :)

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
For example, if i extract a texture from GTA and open it in photoshop and make some changes, does that make it my work, and therefore, redistributable? Or does that fall in the same category as using it directly?
look at it like this, since you are a coder, lets say I take your code and add in some of my own changes, would it be my code? Or I take ONS-Torlan and add in 4 health vials, would it be my map?