Sapphire mesh/texture screwed???

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

=NS= Spectre

Apr 26, 2004
I wanted to skin a female character and decided on the sapphire mesh and texture as a base. Using the play disk ive got the texture and 2 meshes......however....one mesh has a visor over the head, which, well, is not allowed for in the texture, and the other mesh (merc_female#) seems to be too big for the texture, in that there are white gaps. Does anyone know or have the correct mesh/texture? As im guessing the ones on the disk are screwy! :lol:

Last edited:

Madogg_UK

Dec 29, 2003
WALES! Uk
www.madoggxwf.cjb.net
I replaced all the correct files as told to in the read me file, but :( im still getting the mask thing :/ Well...

1. Loading Satin or Sapphire is fine, the visor thing isnt there

2. Import texture from .bmp and the visor just randomly appears :/

and this is annoying because I dont do any of my paint work on UPaint itself :D, what am I doing wrong? :eek:

=NS= Spectre

Apr 26, 2004
I found the best way is to save your work in whatever Paint program you are using as tga's..... open Unreal Editor and on the texture browser open your skins .utx file.....delete all the textures that Upaint put in there (except the portrait pic, then file/import the tga textures that you saved, remembering that when the import dialogue shows, tick the box for Alpha's and set LOD to 2. Then all you have to do is compress the textures to dtx5 (right click on texture, compress, dtx5) and set it as a 'playerskin' in the properties and save. Silly mask thing is no more :lol:

zenvsnez

The Lord of UT
Jun 16, 2004
About the changing it to player skin... how do u do that??? I went to properties.. and uhh I dont use unreal edit sooo can ya gimmie a lil more feedback and where to add that?

=NS= Spectre

Apr 26, 2004
zenvsnez said:
About the changing it to player skin... how do u do that??? I went to properties.. and uhh I dont use unreal edit sooo can ya gimmie a lil more feedback and where to add that?

In the texture editor on Unreal Editor, right click the texture you have imported, and click properties. You'll be presented with a new box. In one of the sections called 'Texture' at the bottom it will say 'LODSET_World', click this then choose LODSET_Playerskin from the dropdown menu. The thumbnail ive posted shows you what I mean.

Attachments

• editor.jpg
    editor.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 47

zenvsnez

The Lord of UT
Jun 16, 2004
yeh like maddog said.. I did all that.. no change.. I opened upaint loaded .utx exported it.. same ****.. Oh.. and before i did the visor is gone in upaint but the models face is ****ED lolz in game its just the visor.. yeh so if u can help with this lil issue that would be great.. *Sucks how im a skinner in the clan im in.. and I have to put up with dumb ****s like the boyz who made upaint.*

Madogg_UK

Dec 29, 2003
WALES! Uk
www.madoggxwf.cjb.net
zenvsnez said:
yeh like maddog said.. I did all that.. no change.. I opened upaint loaded .utx exported it.. same ****.. Oh.. and before i did the visor is gone in upaint but the models face is ****ED lolz in game

yup, its gone on Upaint and its there ingame and/or if i import a texture :(

=NS= Spectre

Apr 26, 2004
If you're using the fixed version of the mesh thats posted above, in order to stop the visor showing in-game, when you first import the texture (i find .tga format works best) a small box will show up, asking you for the package name, texture name etc. On this box set LOD to 2, check the box that says alpha. Then once its imported, right click the texture, then click compress, and set this to DXT5. This allows the game to read the alpha-channel thats applied to the area of the texture where the visor is thus making it invisible. I know this works for textures imported from Photshop etc, but aa far as textures imported directly from Upaint, i dont know :rolleyes:

zenvsnez

The Lord of UT
Jun 16, 2004
Spectre .. I did as you said.. I STILL get that ****ed up visor... hmmm. If you have MSN YAHOO or AIM.. contact me.. If you have MSN we could do a remote assistance *you being able to see my pc window and watch where i go* MSN - chris_d_newell@hotmail.com YAHOO - zenvsnez AIM - zenvsnez

Thanks

Reply Back

Madogg_UK

Dec 29, 2003
WALES! Uk
www.madoggxwf.cjb.net
hmmm I havent tried what you said Spectre, how ever I've noticed since I added those 'fixed' versions of the Satin/Sapphire model, Unreal Paint wont export a character at all X_x It shows the loading window things saying "Exporting Character To Unreal" "Saving Texture Package" etc etc, but after closing it all down, going in game - the character isnt there, and the files (textures/upl) arent even in the folders :/ Im not sure if this is a bug so ill spend a few minutes now looking for any patches :S