TrueCombat: CQB

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

andy_kosela

Jul 31, 2011
Did anyone check this mod? It's an evolved TrueCombat: Elite with more emphasis on realism (at least the lead developer is claiming it on his blog).

I'm downloading it now, but this video looks nice (at least visually, and the free aim looks good).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lflXNbEtJik&feature=related

As the Q3 Enemy Territory engine is *fully* open sourced now, that would mean nearly infinite possibilities in modding it.

So maybe it's a good idea to start modding TrueCombat: CQB to reach Infiltration simulation level. I'm not sure how much work it needs to reach that level though...

Last edited:

andy_kosela

Jul 31, 2011
OK, i tested it somewhat.

This is still an alpha release and the whole project is done by basically one developer. Considering this, this mod got some potential to become realistic (it looks like he is at least somewhat aiming towards that goal), but it needs *a lot* of work to get to the level of Infiltration.

True, the visuals are better than INF, the weapon models look crisp (similar to Arma 2), we have free aim, the movement and collision model is way better than in Arma 2, but overall this is all it has to offer.

Sounds are very weak, there is no material penetration implemented, no breath holding, no iron sights zooming, aim sway is wrongly done, etc. too many to mention all the things it lacks to be serious.

Overall it has a potential to become a solid simulation for CQB though, but without dedicated peoples obsessed with simulating reality, i don't see it.

andy_kosela

Jul 31, 2011
Iron sight zooming?

Grab a gun.
Look throught the iron sights.

You do not zoom.

OK, so you are all for the pixel hunting then. 2d monitor do not represent perfectly 3d space -- remember that. I'm not going to write elaborate essays on this topic right here, but just please read the similar discussion at Tripwire forums

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=13016

Take a special notice at Dslyecxi's posts. He is working for the military designing simulation systems and has much more thorough researched knowledge than most forums "gamers".

In Infiltration you have a very good AimView mutator designed by Beppo. I'm not sure if the default zoom is right considering Infiltration scale, but it's one of the few things I'm going to research soon.

Last edited:

TurdDrive

sam k
Oct 31, 2008
WALES
He is wrong, he is just making workarounds for the technology limitations. I have a gun, and yes it does stop pixel hunting, but thats not what i said,

The only thign that changes when you look down iron sights is that the nearest sight gets slightly blurry.

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
No point since this is 6 months old and this place is dead, but I just thought I'd comment.

I played a bunch of True Combat Elite back around 2005-2007. It wasn't as full-featured as INF, but the servers were a lot more populated and there wasn't much else out there at the time. It was simple fun; you could hop online, frag some fools with your iron sights, and quit after 30 min or an hour.

Ultimately the dev team just proved too small and didn't seem to have the dedication to progress the project fast enough to hold interest. Playing the same tiny maps all the time with the same tactics due to the limited amount of features, and dealing with the same bugs and flaws just got old. While solutions were talked to death on the forums, the devs weren't very responsive, and there were never any updates which could have implemented any of said solutions. Some renders and screens of new stuff like the G3 and freeaim came out, but years passed and a public release never surfaced.

The Enemy Territory engine is also pretty old and has its limitations. For example, the cyclic rate of every weapon must be locked to exactly 600, 900, or 1200 rounds a minute. It has something to do with syncing shots to the server tics, and is one of many aspects which makes rendering subtle performance differences between the many weapons virtually impossible.

The damage model was also ridiculously simplistic; the snipers and desert eagle all killed in 1 shot anywhere, and then everything else killed in 2 hits to the body - regardless the caliber of the weapon, bullet velocity, or any shot placement consideration beyond headshots.

Given that the TC team is just now delivering basic additions promised in 2006, and has left 95% of the rest just as basic and barebones as it was then, I really wouldn't expect much from this project. There are so many options out there today that why would you bother with it?

One alternative I'd recommend is Rainbow Six Vegas 2. It has the same CQB focus as True Combat, with a similarly moderate level of realism, but being a commercially released game, it's got MUCH more features, MUCH more content, MUCH more populated servers, and looks MUCH better. It lacks the detail of Arma and it ain't perfect, but it's still a hell of a lot more realistic than COD, and console versions allow for couch co-op with your girlfriend, siblings, roommates, or whoever.

andy_kosela

Jul 31, 2011
Gnam --> I'm sorry man, but Vegas 2 is as real as COD. Anything after Raven Shield is a total crap, and even Raven Shield has many very unrealistic elements, like cone of fire and no iron sights.

From what I read recently True Combat: CQB is officially dead now anyway...

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
Hey, I'm not saying RSV2 is perfect, but it's markedly more realistic than COD for a few reasons:

1) Movement Speeds
Players in COD move like an out-of-sync sped-up Charlie Chaplin gag flick from 1912. RSV2 players do not.

2) Recoil, Recoil, Recoil

It's amazing how many games flub recoil considering it's the 2nd most fundamental result of firing your gun. Weapons in COD recoil comparably to a super soaker, or at best a .22 LR, making it pathetically easy to get spray kills at long range.

By comparison, RSV2 recoil is heavy enough to strongly encourage short bursts or semi-auto rifle fire beyond point-blank range. While the game lacks sway, the general feel of shooting is otherwise spot-on; the process of making follow-up shots requires timing and correcting against a decent amount of recoil, rather than spraying with impunity. The recoil also allows for better weapon differentiation; SMG's and AR's feel like totally separate weapons rather than one and the same.

Because of all these factors, I find RSV2 totally playable as a casual game, especially in co-op terrorist hunts or campaign...whereas the COD MW games are unplayable in my eyes. Mind you, I play RSV2 with the heaviest armor to aid the movement system, as well as a personal ban on using the cover system, and generally us semi-only. I have also played this way online; you'd be surprised how often realistic tactics prevailed against people abusing the cover system, FAMAS spray and pray, run and gun, etc.

andy_kosela

Jul 31, 2011
Gnam --> Yeah I agree that using realistic tactics often pays off, even in arcade shooters. But generally I would not recommend RSV2 to anyone wanting to experience semi realistic military simulation. For that I would recommend America's Army 3. Although it's not perfect, it offers much better immersion into the world of CQB that anything on the market right now.

Coop-Stogie

Dec 7, 2008
Gnam --> Yeah I agree that using realistic tactics often pays off, even in arcade shooters. But generally I would not recommend RSV2 to anyone wanting to experience semi realistic military simulation. For that I would recommend America's Army 3. Although it's not perfect, it offers much better immersion into the world of CQB that anything on the market right now.

AA3, same shit as CoD, only the weapon have more recoil

andy_kosela

Jul 31, 2011
Well, it's definetly not as technically advanced as INF 2.9, but it's also ain't no CoD. Try to see the "Bridge" map (I play only on Bridge, since 2002 to be exact) and overall my experience has been very positive. You won't see many "run & gun" Rambo's there, because they do know very well that they gonna be killed first. It's a very good map for showcasing immersive CQB tactics, as it's very small. Generally noone is rushing there...

I agree that AA3 could use more advanced simulation mechanics, at least something like 'free aim', but it is what it is. For what it's worth, show me better title that is still relevant today. And please don't start it about whole Arma/VBS2 franchise -- it's total crap in my opinion and i think i showcased it enough in some other thread. It definetly do not simulate CQB environment well enough to even consider it.

Last edited: