S3TC Texture Patch With ATI

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Schitsofrantic

Jul 18, 2000
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone has tried using the S3TC textures patch for OpenGL with an ATI Rage vidcard. I'm going to try it... someday... when motivation empowers me, but if someone has already tried and got it to work, I would like to know how it looks and what kind of framerates you get. If it doesn't work, warn me.

Right now I have an AMD Athlon 700 Mhz, 128 SDRAM, an ATI Rage 128 Xpert with 64 megs, blah blah blah. I get around 50 fps in Morpheus and 45 fps in Facing Worlds, but it looks really bland.

(BoD) nepenthe

Sayee Lo
Aug 23, 2000
Denton, TX
www.nepentheisland.com
I am almost 100 percent sure it won't work. You don't have any form of texture compression support on that card. In fact, even on my Voodoo5 (which does have texture compression) it doesn't work. I think the only cards that work are the Savage 2000 and anything with "Geforce" in the name.

Ultron

Robot XMP Beta Tester
Mar 6, 2000
Secret Hideout
clans.utworld.net
Originally posted by (BoD) nepenthe
I am almost 100 percent sure it won't work. You don't have any form of texture compression support on that card. In fact, even on my Voodoo5 (which does have texture compression) it doesn't work. I think the only cards that work are the Savage 2000 and anything with "Geforce" in the name.

Yes, my V5 doesn't support S3TC, but is supposed to substitute FXT1 instead. Doesn't work in UT though. All you get are white textures.

Ohsk

Sep 17, 2000
Boise Id
www.unrealcontest.com
S3

I was one of the first people to get a S3 Beta card
back when they had a contest going on, I won a hercules terminator Beast( and a beast it was) but I love S3 textures, I hope the graphics cards start using them, the
resolution is just unbeleivable, you cant see any pixelation at all even in super high detail pictures, me and Arbitrage took 2 out of the three places int he texture category in the Make Something unreal contest
http://www.unrealcontest.com/ts_winners.html
so I definitely beleive these textures will catch on someday
and be a standard in video cards, they are definitely cool!