Windows98 or Windows ME

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
Now all pieces have come. I will put together my new comp.
I just wonder if I shall install Win98 SE or Win ME ?
I want replay from You who has experience of both.
And this is not OT, because one important thing is that UT should run without any problems. :)

MagicDizk

P.F.M
Apr 11, 2000
Franklin, NC USA
I’ve been running ME for two months now, and my ping have improved from an average of 265ms to 210ms and last week I had an average of 171ms and this is with a modem. So first of all, if you’re a modem user GET IT. ME has some bugs in it right now the main one is when you start UT sometimes the sound is distorted but give it a few minutes and it clears up, I thought it was just me but I have two other friends play UT with ME and they have the same problem. Also ME will do automatic updates, so if you are playing a game and you see you pings going thru the roof, then you must go to the task manager and kill that process. As far as speed goes, I think over all ME is faster, WIN98 second edition I had a 28 fps and with ME I’m getting 32fps.

[Ci]Morgan

McBain-like
Dec 1, 1999
The Netherlands
Visit site
I'm using Windows ME for 2 months (as well as Win98) and I'm quite happy with it. It's terrible withing a corperate network though: It sucks up all the bandwidth when someone is downloading using ME and the others are on NT, Win9x and Macintosh.

I'm not sure about how this works with a cable connection, but my guess is this will have the same effect when you're on cable; your bandwidth may just improve alot...

I found some improvement in overal download speeds, I haven't really seen much improvement with playing UT.

Aug 27, 2000
Forida
www.stcloudcafe.com
Just a quick note...
My brother has Win Me and bought a new GForce MX2 card and UT locks up on him everytime. I put his card in my Win2K Advanced Server machine and it ran fine. Don't know what kind of card you have, just thought I'd pass this info along.

Claude_Ballz

Ballz-Like
Jan 17, 2000
Visit site
From what I have read, you'd better have all the drivers for every piece of equipment in your system close-by. Aparently, ME doesn't have as big a driver library as even 98. I've also read that doing a fresh install w/ ME is a pain, but if you upgrade from 98, you shouldn't have any problems ... not even with drivers.
:redeemer:

Mrukk

Inhuman
May 10, 2000
Baltimore, MD
Give ME a go - you can always go back to 98 if it isn't to your liking. I have been running ME for a couple of months, and while they are some minor problems, it really is nice and stable... I can leave my comp running much longer without rebooting than I could with 98. And software will start coming out for ME which will help with the tweaking of it etc.

I noticed no changes with UT play - but then I did not look that hard.

DragonAsh

Hentai-like
Feb 10, 2000
Well, i say use Win98SE

It runs great for me and I have heard both good and bad things about ME...then again, the same goes for SE *L*

AmigaOne|BuF

Masterful
Sep 14, 2000
Lansing, Michigan
Me or 98

I'm currently using Windows Me. One thing I noticed is it takes less space on the cd-rom. That means either they've included less crap or the code is actually smaller. Being the optimist that I am I'm saying it means Microsoft has actually eliminated some of their bloat code. And since I've been testing Me since it's inception I'd have to say that's true. To the guy that thought it ran 10% slower I don't think so. I've noticed the exact oppostite. All of my screen refreshes and window controls are much faster. I think Me has a smaller resource footprint than 98 and I've had no troubles with drivers aside from one thing: my Seagate DAT drive. There wasn't a driver so I redid the install over 98 and it went find. Two bugs up my ass about Me is they removed the Backup utility and they make you sit through that video after installation. Other than that I'd say it's cool.

Game0rz

May 13, 2000
Q: im planning on getting ME just so i can keep up w/ the latest stuff, but im also going to get a little HD for my OS, would i also have to d/l the drivers to that drive?
and would my system run the same except when i goto my computer itll have 2 HD's there?

AmigaOne|BuF

Masterful
Sep 14, 2000
Lansing, Michigan
DOH!

Well Juice you are spot on! Don't I feel like the dolt! Well I do have OS 3.5 and it's pretty snazzy for running on a 7 year old computer. ;-) Just wait until UT is running on the upcoming AmigaOne. Should be cool.

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
Morgan, I'd like to hear more about this:

It's terrible withing a corperate network though: It sucks up all the bandwidth when someone is downloading using ME and the others are on NT, Win9x and Macintosh.

Is this from experience at work or from another source? Could you supply more details as to what's happening?

I ask this because I do dorm network tech support at my college. Since WinME should start showing up soon, and I haven't been able to play with a copy of it myself, I'd like to get a heads up on what we may be encountering problem-wise on the school network.

If WinME users start hogging all the dorm bandwidth, I will personally manhandle Win2000 onto their computers ...

Miami University ResNet: Great throughput, terrible latency ...

TheMan

Jan 31, 2000
Oregon
I've been using ME for about a month now and I love it. Wouldnt go back. It is not as bloated as SE. There is one important thing to note however. I have read and heard that the full install is much, much, better than the upgrade. I have the full install and its been perfect(almost) for me.

JuiceEggsMcKenna

MC68060/50
Aug 31, 2000
Australia
clivebarker.net
Only Making Amigas is Impossible

Yeah, let's drag this sucker right off topic.

IMHO there isn't going to be an new Amiga in any meaningful way. I am not specifically familiar with the details of the "AmigaOne" that AmigaOne mentioned, but it would have to take a miracle for it to make an impact on today's market. Look at Apple - they are in a 100% better position than Amiga to push through a new consumer grade network computer platform and they cannot do it. Small fries have no chance. One problem is that Amigas need to support accepted standards, like OpenGL, Java, etc, and yet still offer proprietary enhancements over their competitors. The choice the developers have to make is "should we make it standard and therefore crappy, or way cool and therefore incompatible?" Not a good boat to be in.

Besides, it's not 1985 any more. The industry has changed. PCs are now a legacy technology, much like minis were in the early 80s. The upcoming focus of the mass-markets will be wearables, semi-wearables and "network devices".

Which is not to say that the Amiga does not rock. I still like to pull out Frontier or Stunt Car Racer at home and have some fun :)

People who do anime fansubs still love em :) :)