What are all the server games so #!&@ fast??

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slider

Nov 30, 1999
Visit site
I'll admit, I'm pretty new to UT, having just installed the demo last weekend, but I've played Shogo, Quake, and HL onliine for awhile. My complaint (along with my terrible ping) is why do all the server games seem to be cranked up past "normal" playing speed??! I know I'm gonna hear alot of "ya just need to increase your skillz" responses to this, but I'm seriously asking for input here. From what I saw in the single-player demo, it seemed lots more fun at normal speed, where you had a chance to actually plan an attack, draw a bead on someone, and purposefully and cleanly take 'em out. From what I've seen on the servers so far, everyone just runs and jumps continously, firing at random and hoping to hit something. I noticed that the team games seemed to have all disabled damage to your teammates, and this is probably because with all this random shooting you'd end up killing your own guys as often as the enemy! So seriously, does anyone else agree that a normal speed game would be worthwhile, and is there any server's running one?

M

Meister

It seems to me, most server do run normal speed.

I HATE the fast speed, not because of my abilities(they're fine thank you), but because I am stuck on a modem and with the fast paced action, my modem cannot keep up with the data flow and even tho my ping is fine, I get alot of warping. This will inevitably be a problem for all modem users.

And before people pipe in with "get a faster connection", I would if I could. Cable will not be in my town till February and SNET in CT is so far behind in instituting DSL to any part of the state, it's scary.

EASY_Target

Nov 27, 1999
Visit site
I totally agree..the slower speeds are better ..these maps are way to small and the rooms are crowded enough as it is..slower speed is best..these accelerated speeds are unnatural..STOP IT NOW!

..also these levels are over in a couple of minutes..what kind of nonsense is that?
..these games should play for at least 20 minutes..the server admins should adjust the game parameters accordingly.

I don't like playing a game that takes 3 minutes to load and 2 minutes to play..that is crap.

[This message has been edited by EASY_Target (edited 11-30-1999).]

L_S

Nov 24, 1999
I abhor turbo mode servers. The normal speed is plenty fast enough, and turbo just lags ya to hell and back.

bullet2.gif

You got a problem with what I gotta say? Click here please.

SchizoidMan

Jul 21, 1999
UK
www.illgetroundtoitsometime.not
Agreed they're too short.

20 Frags? WTF is all that about? I've not even burnt the cleaning oil off my minigun by then!

It should be 10-15 minutes minimum, or 40 frags as a minimum.

My ideal setup would be 15 minutes or 60 frags. Then you've got time for some to and fro to develop between the top players, and some excitement to develop.

And separate the small from the large maps FFS!

What's Morbias or Fractal doing on a 16 player server? Because the admin's too damn lazy to engage his brain and set it up properly...."Duh, lets run all the maps together...that'll be kewl"

L_S

Nov 24, 1999
While we're on the subject, games with 4-6 people are the most fun IMO. Enough people that you arent wandering around looking for action but not so many that all you have to do is shoot and you'll kill somebody. Maybe its just me but I cant stand games with 10 or more people, it just turns into a brainless gibfest.

bullet2.gif

You got a problem with what I gotta say? Click here please.

[This message has been edited by LiquiD_SiN (edited 11-30-1999).]

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
You have my vote on Classic speed. Hardcore and Turbo are fun, but it's kinda freaky when you're blazing around people. Team games should all be Classic. It makes you rely on your team mates because it puts you more at risk. Besides, like the previous poster, it's just damn un-natural!

I believe the browser lets you know what speed the game is running. And, by the way, on team games, the friendly damage needs to be on 0%, ESPECIALLY if you run at Turbo speed. Although, there IS some sick fun to be had, it does tend to be a little less "newbie" friendly.

HuFlungzeDung

Nov 24, 1999
Kanada
Visit site
WTF is this Arrow icon?
Anyway, I would agree with many of you that would like the speed turned down to normal. This would allow us to use the weapons in their various modes to the full. Hell, I was playing assault last night on a server that was allowing only the sniper rifle, game at normal speed (which is hardcore, which is still somewhat accelerated). It was sort of fun, but there wasn't enough time to use the scope much, because by the time I saw the guy and zoomed in, he was pounding my head with his rifle butt. So, consequently everyone was just jumping around and shooting from the hip, as it were, kinda like a railgun match. The higher the speed of the game, the more it turns into a Quake type game. Is that good? We could just go and play Quake instead. Let's have many servers slow down to classic speed (on suitable maps) and get the Unreal feel back into the game!

Morbius

So-So
Nov 30, 1999
Colorado
Visit site
I have to agree with everyone else here...I want the servers to play at NORMAL (Classic?) speed, which I think is actually a step down from "hardcore", isn't it? In any event, I'd like it at the slower, more realistic speed like the single-player game defaults to. That way you can actually chase some guy down, running down the hallway, watching him try to dodge as your minigun slowly rips him apart! Much more fun than dancing around like a jumping bean and just spraying a room with a weapon! I don't run a server, so I'm not sure, but...maybe the server code defaults to a faster speed than the single-player (which, whether it's called "normal", "classic", or whatever, I assume is 100%) and the server admins just don't realize they can slow it down some??? Maybe there's a way to let them know.

Taskmaster

Godlike - I like God
Nov 29, 1999
www.geocities.com
With the high ping I have (28.8 modem) in the upper 500 to 700 range, I have no choice but to spray bullets everywhere or I cannot hit anything even when seemingly point right at him/her. Even if you have a lick of skill, high ping forces you to play like a moron on crack!

Status
Not open for further replies.