Scram Cannon 2k4

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Neuroflare

Brewer - Patriot
Jun 21, 2001
I dunno
wod.beyondunreal.com
[edit] The Gun has been uploaded as 2 zip files containing 2 split rar files. To extract you must put both contained RAR files into the SAME folder and open the file labelled [nfScramCannon.part01.rar]. You will then be able to extract the files. To get winrar (or another rar extractor if you use other platforms) if you don't have it go to http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Scram Cannon files are attached to this post. Happy Massacre![/edit]

After not-so-grueling work, I have come up with a revised (and better IMO - and hopefully yours, too) scram cannon.

Since I released the first one so long ago, this will be a changes/features list, not just changes:

The Scram Cannon is loosely based on a weapon of a similar name.
The weapon's primary fire sends out a series of drunken, homing missiles that stumble around until someone meanders into their seek radius, at which a missile (or many if that be the case) sobers up and homes in on the target (owner of gun excluded).
Secondary fire shoots a single, straight flying, homing missile for shooting at the further away targets.

Simple enough? Good.
List of changes from first version:

• Reduced missile scale and damage - The weapon was WAY too overbearing.
  • Reduced ammo usage for primary fire to 7 missiles (see above reason) and ammo melted away far too quickly. First version allowed 4 firing of primary, now there are 7 full firings.
  • Upped starting ammo to 50 so that firefights would last longer.
  • Primary can still fire with less than 7 ammo, you just get fewer missiles.
  • Secondary fire decreased ROF
  • Secondary fire increased damage
  • Different model - ball launcher. Few minar adjustments still needed. Pickup model is upside down, and I ahve a new skin I haven't figured out how to apply yet.
  • Decreased speed of drunk missiles to allow for more accurate homing

I hope you enjoy, and please supply feedback so I can polish it up and release a final on a fewother forums.

Last edited:

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
You can make the pickup model right side up by setting the Z component of its DrawScale3D default property to -1.
I think it'd look cool if the primary missiles were still slightly drunken when homing. Maybe their drunkenness could decrease the longer the spend seeking the same target. Like a smooth transition from drunk to precise seeking.
I think you should give assign it a different crosshair than the small white plus it's using now. It's too snipery an' not rockety enough. :b

Neuroflare

Brewer - Patriot
Jun 21, 2001
I dunno
wod.beyondunreal.com
Model is now rightside up. It has a new skin. and a new crosshair.

Decreasing the drunkeness graduall causes a HUGE dip in accuracy, since the missiles move almost swiftly.

All I have left, pretty much is a new ammo skin. THen I am all done.

One more thing. the stupid 2k4 skins are HUGE! like 5 megs for the one I used. would lowering the resolution mess up the texture mapping?

Neuroflare

Brewer - Patriot
Jun 21, 2001
I dunno
wod.beyondunreal.com
No it wouldn't ruin it. Well. I think I'm jsut about ready for a final release. The only thing needs done is there is a seperate skin for the ball in the bal launcher model, so I need to hunt that down and change it, then I'll be ready for posting the huge file up.

I also changed all of the ammo properties to multiples of 7, since thats how many it fires. Starting ammo is 49, pickups are 21, and the max ammo is now 140.

Be prepared!

[Edit]

Well I got the whole skin finished, so I guess I need to clean up (its way disorganized and I commented out a lot of things that I wasn't using) and annotate the code, but that should be pretty quick.

Expect full release tonight

Last edited:

Neuroflare

Brewer - Patriot
Jun 21, 2001
I dunno
wod.beyondunreal.com
I would sure love to post the new file, but I can't find my info to log into the wod ftp site and upload it, and the website I just tried to use won't let me upload files larger than a meg (I suspect), and forum limit is less than 500k for a zip file. blows a$$.

Neuroflare

Brewer - Patriot
Jun 21, 2001
I dunno
wod.beyondunreal.com
This is retarded. I decded to upload the gun to the forums as a split rar archive, but nooooo. God forbid the forums let you upload rar files. This is the worst release attempt ever, and kangus hasn't shown himself around here since 20 minutes before I started trying to find him on the 17th to get the ftp server info so I could upload it to fileworks. And Wong isn't anywhere either, nor is sam master, though I don't know if he would give me the info. This royally blows.

So, if you want a copy, for a temporary solution, please convey to me your email address (post in the forums or PM me, or on aim:Neuroflaire, msn:neuroflare@msn.com, or ICQ 123178345) and I will gladly send you a copy of the mod.

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
What if you packaged each individual .rar into seperate .zips and posted those?

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
Your 3rd person muzzle flash isn't getting attached correctly. View the image.

Attachments

• Shot00095.jpg
    Shot00095.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 87

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
I respawned, fired, quickly pressed the key I have bound to playersonly, moved so my rockets wouldn't obscure the flash, and took a screenshot.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
You could probably add this to the main weapon UC to get the new skin to apply
Skins(0)=Texture'Package.Group.Texture'

You can also add this to the Attachment and Pickup UC's so that the skin applies across the board

Neuroflare

Brewer - Patriot
Jun 21, 2001
I dunno
wod.beyondunreal.com
I already fixed that. I also had to skin the stupid ball in the ball launcher so that it wasnt yellow. I think that's index was 1 or something.

I am thinking about scrapping the release of Scram Cannon for now until I have a few other guns. Thinking of making a plasma pistol -fires in a bit of a cone scatter a little slower and weaker than the plasma rifle. make it do the putdown animation every 30 or so shots so that it has to "recharge" its energy cells (reduces mad firing).

And a ion or shock AR (name in progress). mini shock rifle that shoots lighting gun rounds at decent rate with good accuracy.

Tomorrow (or this afternoon, being that its midnight) will bring a more definite plan for what I am doing.

Neuroflare

Brewer - Patriot
Jun 21, 2001
I dunno
wod.beyondunreal.com
its perty much done. small problem in the reload code, though. For some reason, it wont reload while holding down primary, it must be unclicked, though that problem is nonexistent with alt fire. If I set primary to reload at 1 ammo, it reloads without unclicking.

I believe the problem lies in the here
Code:
simulated function bool AllowFire()
{
    if(Weapon.AmmoAmount(ThisModeNum) <= 0 && !(PlasmaPistol(Weapon).GetbCharging()))
    {
        PlasmaPistol(Weapon).SetbCharging(true);//do not allow fire
        SetTimer(0.25,false);//Start reload animation and sound
    }
    return !PlasmaPistol(Weapon).GetbCharging();
}

If i set it anything above 0, i wont have to unclick, because thats the way it works in altfire, and changing it to 1. Is it a technicality in the engine or the language? I cant tell.

Postal

I apear to have lost my pin.
Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
could there be something in weapon that trying to run when it hits 0 ammo, perhaps like switch to best weapon or anything else like that?

SamMaster

Master of the Super Weapons
oh and if you want your textures to be smaller go to Unrealed, create a new texture package, import your textures there and do a DX5 compression on them. It will reduce significantly your file sizes with minimal quality loss. Of course you need to remove the imports in your .u file or else what I said would be pretty useless.