3D Realms Shuts Down, Duke's Fate Unclear

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
I think this is more recent:

[Screenshot]http://fuegerstef.de/2.JPG[/Screenshot]

AND it is almost brown enough to count as next-gen game.

lulz at the "ego" meter.

I personally would not mind the graphics if they were not perfectly up to date. As long as the game kept the classic themes and concepts of Duke (which the trailer seemed to imply) then it probably would have been a good shooter. Not necessarily a revolution, but definitely a worthy sequel.

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
Yea, the saddest part of it all is from that trailer, the game actually looks pretty fun!

Indeed. Some ideas of the plot (which has leaked too) are hilarious.

EDIT:
I don't think we will see the game being picked up by another company/team to be finished with a year.

The whole plot, world-layout, puzzle-schematics and details about endfights are leaked.

If you read all of it, looked at all the screenshots and movies you know the whole game.

Last edited:

UnixPimp

Jan 22, 2003
Visit site
Yeah that's the one I was looking at earlier and on it's own it doesn't look too shabby tbh but alongside the heavyweight shooters around atm, it looks mediocre at best.

There is no way we can speculate that this game will ever see the light of day now, however, Take Two Interactive apparently hold the publishing rights to the content and the may decide to throw it out there to see what happens or perhaps hold on to the IP until the dust settles and roll it out later down the line as a brand new development.
Really hard to see what will happen to it at this point.
`
Lruce

Take Two owns the publishing rights. They do not own the IP rights of Duke Nukem. The owners of 3D Realms owns Duke, ie. Scott Miller and George Broussard.

Take Two cannot force the completion of DNF anymore now that 3D Realms is dead than they could when 3D Realms was "actively" working on the game.

Now if you look at the statements of Take Two over the past few years, who offered a bonus to 3D Realms to complete the game by a certain date (only to be rebuffed by George Broussard) or that DNF was coming out a certain year (only to have George Broussard publicly tell Take Two to STFU), it is painfully obvious that Take Two was concerned that 3D Realms would never complete the game.
Notice that Take Two publicly stated after 3D Realms shutdown that they own the publishing rights of DNF, but they are not funding any development of DNF.
It looks like a game of chicken between Take Two and George Broussard. Take Two want to own the IP rights of Duke, probably because they are tired of George Broussard screwing off for years on end. They know they could crank out several quality games and make some money off Duke. George Broussard does not want to give up control of his money maker, even though he has not created anything new since D3D and has milked Duke with useless spin off games from other studios.

This whole disaster has proved that George Broussard is a terrible project manager and that no game studio should ever give him another job, and no venture capital firm should ever invest in any of his ideas. This is a complete repudiation of the concept of "When It Is Done". That is the battlecry of the amateur (ie hackers) software developers. It does not work.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
There are plenty of great ''When it's done'' games. We all know that ''when it's done'' doesn't mean ''no schedule'' or bad management.
But, can they make enough profits with more than 7 years of development?

Unknown Target

Jan 22, 2008
This whole disaster has proved that George Broussard is a terrible project manager and that no game studio should ever give him another job, and no venture capital firm should ever invest in any of his ideas. This is a complete repudiation of the concept of "When It Is Done". That is the battlecry of the amateur (ie hackers) software developers. It does not work.

Well, almost. Valve runs by the same mantra, but the difference is that they know when to buckle down and release. They also know how to develop a game properly in the first place, so they don't run into the problems that George did.

I just saw a quote on Digg that I thought was pretty good for this situation;

"Real artists release".

Which is true. Cowering behind the "It's perfect and art!" mantra and endlessly refining/restarting your game to death isn't art, it's stupidity. A real artists knows when a piece is done or isn't working and when they should put down the brush.

UnixPimp

Jan 22, 2003
Visit site
Well, almost. Valve runs by the same mantra, but the difference is that they know when to buckle down and release. They also know how to develop a game properly in the first place, so they don't run into the problems that George did.

I just saw a quote on Digg that I thought was pretty good for this situation;

"Real artists release".

Which is true. Cowering behind the "It's perfect and art!" mantra and endlessly refining/restarting your game to death isn't art, it's stupidity. A real artists knows when a piece is done or isn't working and when they should put down the brush.

True I forgot about Valve. You are right, Valve knows when enough is enough and actually releases a game. Was Half Life 2 perfect? No, but it was one hell of a ride. I also like that Valve decided to experiment with episodic gaming with the Half Life 2 story line. It allowed them to release incremental parts of the Half Life 2 story with incremental improvements to their Source Engine.

Another positive thing about Valve is that they give the appearance of being total professionals. You do not see Gabe Newell posting on Twitter about his Direct TV issues, what TV show he is watching, his love for greasy hamburgers, complaining about parking tickets, or raving about some fan made Lord of the Rings film. Does that remind anyone of the so-called leader of a now defunct game studio?

I may be wrong, but the only time I see Gabe Newell in the press is when he is talking about Valve games or gaming in general. His ego is not so huge that he has to entertain the world about is eating and TV viewing habits. He is just a workhorse in the game development world.

If anything, Valve has been smart enough to develop products that will give them revenue so they can take the time to properly develop games. Steam is a perfect example. Hate it or love it, Steam has been a boon for PC gaming and has allowed smaller or older games gain a foothold in the gaming market. It also gives Valve some revenue. Sure Valve milked Half Life and Counter Strike for years, but then they started releasing Source based games left and right.

Valve = good game developer
3D Realms = incompetent developer more interested in eating pizza and playing WoW

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Everyone should give $5 to pre-order Duke Nukem Forver... directly to 3DRealms what could be use as new founds :lol:

:rolleyes:

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
The duck is dead!!

[SCREENSHOT]http://www.jrcompton.com/photos/The_Birds/J/March-07/JR61052-dead-duck-fl.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
True I forgot about Valve. You are right, Valve knows when enough is enough and actually releases a game. Was Half Life 2 perfect? No, but it was one hell of a ride. I also like that Valve decided to experiment with episodic gaming with the Half Life 2 story line. It allowed them to release incremental parts of the Half Life 2 story with incremental improvements to their Source Engine.

Another positive thing about Valve is that they give the appearance of being total professionals. You do not see Gabe Newell posting on Twitter about his Direct TV issues, what TV show he is watching, his love for greasy hamburgers, complaining about parking tickets, or raving about some fan made Lord of the Rings film. Does that remind anyone of the so-called leader of a now defunct game studio?

I may be wrong, but the only time I see Gabe Newell in the press is when he is talking about Valve games or gaming in general. His ego is not so huge that he has to entertain the world about is eating and TV viewing habits. He is just a workhorse in the game development world.

If anything, Valve has been smart enough to develop products that will give them revenue so they can take the time to properly develop games. Steam is a perfect example. Hate it or love it, Steam has been a boon for PC gaming and has allowed smaller or older games gain a foothold in the gaming market. It also gives Valve some revenue. Sure Valve milked Half Life and Counter Strike for years, but then they started releasing Source based games left and right.

Valve = good game developer
3D Realms = incompetent developer more interested in eating pizza and playing WoW

So I assume playing games and eating with a team is bad for Game Development. What about studying the Game Market or spending time on Gamasutra for the most recent news... all bad I guess.

Poor arguments frag fest down that thread. The Duke 4 President... he is definitely messing up (playing) with the crowd. (thx Georges... nice one)