getting UT back: should I or shouldn't I?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

should I get UT back?

• yes, it's still alive and kickin'

Votes: 17 100.0%
  • don't bother, it's not worth it anymore

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AMMAGETSVM

wild
Jun 5, 2001
brooklyn
While I am currently focusing my gametime on U2004, occasionally I feel the tiniest urge to play the old game
(esp. now that its megacheap, and I reckon if my rig can handle the new game, it oughta be able to play the old one maxed out :))

so, now the questions:

Are there many players yet besides you few who still play this regularly?

Are there still many servers running this game out there?

Are there people out there still designing UT maps and the like?

Or would this venture just end up being a waste of HD space....:hmm:

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
Maybe you should try the UT demo, it will be a good hint on the answer of your question. If you like it, there is a very good chance that you will like the , now very cheap, retail version.

I remember , the UT demo stayed on my HD for months before i decide to buy the full version some years ago.
Honestly i never had any regret : UT was and always is really a good game, and the tons of mods/total conversions/mutator/maps available greatly helped me to keep UT on my HD.

And despite all those time, i continue to discover new jewels from the community for my UT

Personnally i continue to prefer it over 2k3 and 2k4 despite the new eye candies and features of those games.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Every evening I ping around 600-670 populated servers, out of 2700.
There are at least 3000+ players. Hasn't changed since last year.
(3854 players now)
I'm in north-western Europe.

Ut is worth trying again. It's far from being a death game.

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
AMMAGETSVM said:
While I am currently focusing my gametime on U2004, occasionally I feel the tiniest urge to play the old game
(esp. now that its megacheap, and I reckon if my rig can handle the new game, it oughta be able to play the old one maxed out :))

so, now the questions:

Are there many players yet besides you few who still play this regularly?

Are there still many servers running this game out there?

Are there people out there still designing UT maps and the like?

Or would this venture just end up being a waste of HD space....:hmm:

1. Yes. There are many players up for UT. And new joining.

2. Yes. There are still a VERY decent number of servers running the game. Unfortunately (to me , that is), a big chunk of those servers are Zark/iGiB/SniperArena servers. There's a good number of "regular" servers too, but you'll have to search for what's best for you.

3. Yes. UT2004 did not squash the bug for mapping for UT. And yes, there are new UT maps being done and released in a timely manner. What you should know too is: most of these new maps are n00b/clan crap. Good maps still DO show up, from time to time. Most great mappers have just moved to UT2004...

4. HD space should be of little consideration for you (i assume), as you have UT2004 installed (HD on the biggy side?). Anyway, UT is a pleasant game. You will have fun with it. But if you're too used to UT2004, you might get the "flashback diarrea", and just find UT too old a concept and deny it. Your decision...

AMMAGETSVM

wild
Jun 5, 2001
brooklyn
yeh so I gots UTGOTY yesterday. Threw it on, and now I've got to look forward to grabbing all those fun things what I used to have way back when. Argh that's gonna be a pain, but this will be fun to re-visit again. Saw quite a few servers, players, and people from waaaay back when (!)

Thanks for the words, people.

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
AMMAGETSVM said:
yeh so I gots UTGOTY yesterday. Threw it on, and now I've got to look forward to grabbing all those fun things what I used to have way back when. Argh that's gonna be a pain, but this will be fun to re-visit again. Saw quite a few servers, players, and people from waaaay back when (!)

Thanks for the words, people.

... get the things as you feel the urge to play them. Not everything at a time. That way, you'll enjoy better your downloads and not feeling overwhelmed or tired. ;) ...

{CoD}Unholy Relic

class Arm extends Hand; var Fingers
Feb 26, 2004
Icebox, MN
Man, I've gotta get back into the UT classic scene. I constantly play that game offline, so there's not going to be any trouble moving back and forth between it. Also if you need a game to look at that has only around 100 servers or so with most of them InstaUnlagged(the mentioning of this crap mod should give it away) servers, you'd wanna wing over to Quake 3.

AMMAGETSVM

wild
Jun 5, 2001
brooklyn
H.H.,
I play on gamebox DOM too. Used to be a 2nd or 3rd home to me ;)

for anyone else interested:

Slutmama's custom & standard DM/CTF server...mapvote:

The House of Crippler..custom & standard DM maps:

After playing 2k4 for a while, this was a fun little look back. I may still play it on occasion. Glad to see many people are still rocking it...

AMMAGETSVM

wild
Jun 5, 2001
brooklyn
so whats the deal with tacops anyway?..

Used to have it on my mac a long time ago (v.2) but I can't seem to find a proper link to d/l it or an updated version again..was thinking of adding it to the pile. It really went well with some of the urban UT maps in DM mode (InnercityUnit, Dogtown, etc.)

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
TO went commercial a while ago. The mod version is still available but it's missing some stuff. I think most servers are running the commercial version now as it's being sold as a standalone.

AMMAGETSVM

wild
Jun 5, 2001
brooklyn
yeah, I remember that nothing past v2 was made for mac (at the time). I just want the d/l mod anyway, don't see myself going all-out and buying the full version - I don't want that much realism ;)

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I have a beta of Tacops installed now. I think.. it's 2.0a?
I should check again.
Anyway, I've had it on cd since 2002.. lol, but never bothered to check it out.
The maps are pretty nice.

Finally I got to see TO maps I saw in the populated servers list...

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
AMMAGETSVM said:
yeah, I remember that nothing past v2 was made for mac (at the time). I just want the d/l mod anyway, don't see myself going all-out and buying the full version - I don't want that much realism ;)

The mod should be still floating around somewhere. The links on Modsquad are quite old but maybe it can be found in fileworks. Oh and talking of realism, the slogan of Infiltration is "this is real as it gets" ;) .