How do you see Mormons?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Witty

I hear only yes.
Aug 6, 2001
Provo... somewhere in Utah.
Visit site
I know this might seem like a weird question, but what do you think of the Mormon religion?

I know there are a lot of myths running around, like Mormons are cultists and stuff, but we aren't. I just want to see how well informed ppl are.

_Zd_3s_

Regristered User
I didn't read this. I honestly don't care the least bit about religion in any form. :)

Is there a God? :con: :p

by Kokensu
With ma eyes
I knew that one was coming. ;)

Welcome to forums anyway, witty. [edit]Pretty late welcome after 250 posts... :con:
Whatever... :D :p[/edit]

I found it here
Mormonism is the one of the few truly American-born religions. Taken, as it were, from the visions of a New York farm boy, later known more ecclesicastically as the Prophet Joseph Smith, Mormonism embraces a cultural narrative that places it first in the realm of Yankee ingenuity, and then more firmly as a utopian movement that sucessfully transposed the American myths and values of the nineteenth century. Henry Nash Smith's discussion of the myth of the garden in Virgin Land illuminates the ideal that becomes--in many ways--a reality for the Mormon converts of the 1830's and 40's.

Henry Nash Smith's myth of the garden explores the invincibility of an American public with access to the Edenic wilderness that lay inexhaustibly beyond the roving eye of "civilization". This land, to a host of American figures from Bradford to Crevcoeur to Jefferson, ensured America's prosperity, independence, and freedom from Europe's poverty and class struggles. The land itself is the great reformer; it promotes equality and personal industry; it offers a "safety valve" for the increasingly crowded eastern cities. Thomas Jefferson famously predicted that it would take a thousand years to fill the land from the east coast to the Pacific Ocean with Americans; in fact, it took less than a hundred years.

The myth of the garden was an integral factor in the propagation of the Mormon religion. Where but in the vast lands of America could a religion spring forth and set out to create the New Zion, God's celestial city on earth? Nor was this merely an ideal; in fact, because of the persecution Mormons suffered from local populations, such a space where "none would hurt or make afraid" became necessary for the continuation and growth of the religion. Ironically, God had ordained for the Mormons the unforgiving lands of Utah; here the Mormons were forced to create their garden, learning irrigation techniques, clearing uncountable acres of sagebrush, and building shelters from local adobe. The very harshness of this landscape, Mormon leaders believed, was chosen by God in order to discourage their attackers and prevent outside colonization. Through a twist of reasoning, the nearly fallow land became the first Mormons' protective garden of Eden.

Henry Nash Smith's garden is populated by the hero of the west, be it Bill Cody's Wild West cowboy or James Fenimore Cooper's pioneer, Leatherstocking. In both cases, the emphasis is self-sufficiency-- Smith describes the point of connection between Cooper and the popular western stories as a man who is a "benevolent hunter without a fixed place of abode, advanced in age, celibate, and of unequalled prowess in trailing, marksmanship, and Indian fighting." In other words, he needs no one, man or woman, to complete his environment. He has sprung, fully formed, gun in hand and buckshot on his belt, from Smith's "objectified mass dream" that is the collective American imagination.

The ideals of Mormonism took this "mass dream" of intensive individualism and transposed it into a working model of collectivism. The desert Zion formed and sustained itself under the double umbrella of pervasive cultural beliefs and divine ordinance; although Mormons conceived of Great Salt Lake City as a separate kingdom of saints, their attempt was a wholly American endeavor.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Difference between mormons and normal christians that makes most christians think mormons aren't christians:

Christiany thinks of god as an egg God is the yellow part, Jesus is the white part, and the Holy Ghost is the shell. Therefore they believe that they are all one thing.
I don't know where they got this from so you'll have to ask someone else for scriptural references.

Mormons believe that they are three seperate people God Jesus and the Holy Ghost. God is the creator of us and everything else including us his son's and daughters. Jesus is one of his son's and pretty much like the rest of us, except that he is such a good guy that he volenteered to be crucified, take on all our sins, and make it possible for resurection. The Holy Ghost is also a son of god (like the rest of us...unless your a girl), that has volenteered to help guide us. When you feel strongly that you should do something, and it turns out it was a really good idea, or when your feeling the spirit(burning in bosum thing), it is the Holy Ghost. The holy ghost will get a body and live on earth like the rest of us have to during the millenium.
We base the idea that there are 3 seperate people in the god head from scriptures in the Book Of Mormon, but also from the Bible. For instance when (insert name here I forgot his name) is stoned to death, he sees God Jesus and the Holy ghost standing next to eachother. Exact scripture will be given when I can remember it.

So in conclusion we do believe in Jesus, and that he came down here to take on our sins. We just don't think he's the same as god.

As for that whole become a god thing: Life is a big test to see if we'll do the right things which god has predefined. It is to see how worthy we are. Based on these test results we are seperated into 4 areas. The Celestial Kindom is the highest kingdom if you make it here it is possible to get your own universe make your own children and all that other stuff. We don't know much about the other two kingdoms (telestial and terrestial),but it's probably better that way. Wherever we go it'll make us as happy as it is possible for you to be. The last area is outter darkness where the devil and his angels, along with all those that had a perfect knowledge of god and rebelled against him.
So if god is perfect and he knows everything then what's the hole point anyways? Doesn't he already know what we'll do, and can't he just seperate us without us going through this? The answer is that the whole thing is for us. It's supposed to be a learning experience. Without experienceing it for ourselves we won't be ready for the stuff beyond. God's purpose is to bring to pass the enternal life and imortality of man.

This is all confusing, and I wrote so much that I probably screwd up somewhere along the way. Also please note that we aren't all about the prophet and joseph smith's experience like most think. It's all about the stuff I wrote above.

One more thing: Don't complain I get missionaries at my house too, the difference is that I don't treat mine like crap.

Witty

I hear only yes.
Aug 6, 2001
Provo... somewhere in Utah.
Visit site
Well put, TWD. You beat me to the explanations. I had to get off last night. Wasn't that Joshua who they stoned? Not too sure...
Anyway,

_Zd_3s_ , thanks for that. I never got one when I came here first. BTW, why did you say that? did you somehow know that I hadn't been welcomed?

Mute

All you have to do is smile!
obviously everyone else has thought about it a lot more than me :p. If someone told me they were Mormon, i wouldn't even blink... (/me lies :p *blink*).

I am spiritual, but i don't like organized religion of any kind and I get along better with everyone as a whole if i just don't think about it because i can get on a soapbox a mile high if i let myself :rolleyes:.

The 'religion test' that was in the forum a while ago told me i was a unitarian or Neo Pagan.

My bumper sticker: My gods can beat up your God :).

notintheface

pragma inline
Nov 19, 2001
Raleigh, NC
personal.bellsouth.net
Sorry i'm way late on this.
I have mormons come to my house on occasion and i just tell them i'm not interested. Growing up in the south with the southern baptist christians i don't hold them in high regard. I went to a christian school for four years and they will teach love if they have to beat it into you. Religion is best left at the personal level. What makes you a better person and gives you hope thats fine by me. I've always heard mormons believe that heaven has quota of people it will hold. So my thoughts are why are they trying to get other people in. hehe. Obviously i've been misinformed. Thanks for the knowledge all.

"The all father wrote the vain of your life long ago, go hide in a hole if you like you want live one moment longer."

Question for TWD you have this qoute: "Whites are the least intelligent species of western dragon, and their behavior shows it."
You seem pretty open minded. So what is this statement born out of? Just curious. :D It will probably be tomorrow before i post again, but i will look for your reply. Happy BUFing