Grrr Polycounts

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gullonefox

TBUILDT Webmaster/Mapper
Nov 27, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
Ok guys i checked my poly counts on Dom-Inf-bridge@remargen and **** they are into 550 to 600 on some areas i think i read corectly 450 was the most you should have in there? well i got rid of the trees and that droped it to 500 but i think thats still to high! and advice guys!!!!!

JonnyBoy

alive
Jun 6, 2000
Visit site
44 is still high in my book. i like to keep things AT LEAST under 270. but hey thats me. there are a couple of things you can do to get around the high poly counts. put things in the way like boxes so when youre at certain points it blocks off a lot of polys. also, if you have railings or ladders made out of all brushes, make masked textures. those could make all the difference in the world. you could also mess around with semisolid brushes sinstead of solid but i would watch out with those they can get alittle annoying.

hope i helped.

btw. you can email me what youve got so far so i could check it out and tell you what you can either take out or fix to make lower polys. or post pictures showing these high poly counts.
JB.gif

Gullonefox

TBUILDT Webmaster/Mapper
Nov 27, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
Cheers !

Umm i think i have found the problem!!! I used terra ed to make the banks at each side of the bridge and when i checked the banks in wire fame there where loads of polys so im rebuilding that now and i alreayd added things to reduce the view point but remember its a long bridge so the polys will be kinda high! shame tho so 250 is advisable then? oh god i have had it lol! the map runs well on both my pc's my amd k62 450 is a little choppy but not much and my p2 450 flys with it so??? im not sure... Should call you super Jhonny always to my rescue lol Thanx again bro!

Ill send you a copy when its closer to finishing!:)

Gullonefox

TBUILDT Webmaster/Mapper
Nov 27, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
Just re did the banks

Ok remade the ground and the polys droped! not a huge amount but quite a lot, and the view, I taking this from is in the corner of the map looking across the water to the other side and looking toward the bridge to! and the poly count now is 440 to 490 with no trees! but that bit im talking about was MUCH HIGHER! so I will put it to you all what should I do

1 Leave it as it is with the trees and make the other town?

2 Do what I realy didnt want to do and make the buildings even more simplistick?

Right now looking down the bridge its seeing about 200 polys, but from the very far corner (VERy FAR)
its about 490 PLEASE GUYS ADVISE ME.. Your the guys who will be playing it!! so tell me what suits you sir? LOL

LordSpoon

plastic fork! my name is plastic fork dammit!
Nov 7, 2000
Post some screenies of where the poly count is the highest, and we could advise where you could rebuild and drop polies.

visor_sig.jpg

**** **** off

bastard_o

Lead Designer
Has your terrain brush got many flat coplanar polys ?

TerraEd if you are using the older version, the one I use... depending on your terrain you may have lots of flat joined polys...

I can get rid of these for you with a sentence or two...

Better for lighting if the many are made into one :) per group that is.

Could you post up an in editor view of your main terrain brush highlighted from the 3d view, that would help...

Also if you post some small screens of your problem areas I am sure ppl will have some cool input to help reduce the visible poly count..

Remember throw some bots in... and ooopppps where's my fsp... or don't forget on-line playing,
I assume that this must help a server and of course the client-side players also.

Bastard'O

Los Pescados

Infiltration Team Member
Nov 3, 2000
Surrey, BC, Canada
Ooh! Do tell your method here, Bastard'O! This is something that I could definitely use to get rid of those annoying lightings messing up -- and decrease polycount at the same time.

Mike

bastard_o

Lead Designer
Go read this stuff Tut :D or just place a 16h,Nw,Nb solid brush underneath the mass of polys just so it touches the surface, add it, all that happenes is that what was there is ignored and the NEW brush gives you your nice flat surface.

I have tried this with "stat fps" on to count the polys and indeed they are reduced, plus you have one surface... BSP can be cleaned up too.

Or you can use the tricky technique I used to create the CubanDawn brush see tut... which gives you a BIG yellow subtracted terrain brush rather than a BIG add within a subtracted cube, I believe the engine is nicer too subtracted terrains.

Teroman, thanks for remminding me about the "Bright corners" flag, I have a light related dark poly problem at the moment, Just one poly from a group on top of a curved brush. :(

Bastard'O

Gullonefox

TBUILDT Webmaster/Mapper
Nov 27, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
Ok guys i had an idea for reducing polys i'll keep you all updated as i go but i think i have a way of sorting it out! but i just hope it dosnt **** up the feel of the map "fingers crossed"
and btw bastard'o in the end i did not use terra edit i replaced the ground with normal polys!!

just clicked today to, YOU MADE EXTREME PREJUDICE!!!!!!!! Best map ever made!!!!

Gullonefox

TBUILDT Webmaster/Mapper
Nov 27, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
Ok guys bit of good news i have restarted the bridge from scratch! From the front view the poly count was around 200 i think and now its down to 54 to 60 (Full lenth of bridge)
The side view of the bridge was around 500 polys
now i have it down to 98 but i think that might go up a little!

There is now a prob with the layout of the map i have had to remove the towers completly and there is no ground or water at the mo so i realy am dreading what i will have to do next!!

Los Pescados

Infiltration Team Member
Nov 3, 2000
Surrey, BC, Canada
Don't you just hate when something happens and all of a sudden you've gotta start replacing brushes left and right.. I'm lucky that in Casa del Peligro, so far I've only had to re-do the stairs.. everything else has just worked nicely. Which is odd because, if you look at this screenshot.. I have a LOT of semi-solids in the level (reduce node count) and they apparently work kind funny :) So far they've worked great for me.

Gullonefox

TBUILDT Webmaster/Mapper
Nov 27, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
Semi solid ehh?? so what effect can they have and what are they used for??
Could it be handy for me to use them?

Ok another update on the map everything is running smooth and here are the bummer points, the bridge dosnt look as good as before but thats because of poly counts (its not so rounded now) um i also think the towers will have to go or make them out of squares not cylinders and there wont be so many trees... Im realy gutted but it's the way it is soz!

Gullonefox

TBUILDT Webmaster/Mapper
Nov 27, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
Ok i have made the tree again and now they provide cover BUT the polys have jumped!

So here are some shot of the map with the poly count tell me if you think the count is fine!??

I cant realy chop anymore out of the map as it wont be called the bridge at remargen any more more like plank of wood across a river that was once a bridge lol

[This message was edited by Gullonefox on Dec 19, 2000 at 19:49.]

Los Pescados

Infiltration Team Member
Nov 3, 2000
Surrey, BC, Canada
Semi-solids are kind of weird. Before you go throwing them around in your level.. and I can't really think of how to explain them without some diagrams.. so if you have ICQ, throw a message my way I'll explain it to you better.

Mike

JonnyBoy

alive
Jun 6, 2000
Visit site
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ... Should call you super Jhonny always to my rescue lol Thanx again bro! [/quote]

lol, no...you don't have to call me that....well, ok. :)

no but seriously im not as good as you think i am. im still learning things every time i open up the editor myself!

anyways, i think i can help you. i noticed on your bridge that the sides probably have a lot of polys. now, im not saying that it looks bad, the bridge looks great. but it can look better while getting a lower poly count. if you have the skills you can make a masked texture and totally get rid of all the sides of the bridge, while keeping it looking. good. and the beauty of a masked texture is it could be only one poly if you want. if you need help getting a texture for it i could help you out, but i don't know if i have the skills for that yet. my latest map is the first time ive dealt with custom textyures, but theyre allright.

JB.gif

Gullonefox

TBUILDT Webmaster/Mapper
Nov 27, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
If you look at some of the older pics in the forum you will see i used masked textures for the sides of the bridge i just forgot to re add them before posting the pic!!