stuck at 60.01 FPS???

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dentaku

Dec 9, 2000
Visit site
I have a Geforce 2 MX and I run UT at 1024X768 with no AA in OpenGL.

My average FPS never goes over 60.01 FPS.

Is there some kind of setting that caps the max fps (other than the refresh rate which is 100Hz by the way)?

Dentaku

Dec 9, 2000
Visit site
Originally posted by Boom
turn off the vsync.

go to advanced preferences and "rendering" in UT.

The advanced preferences don't have a setting for VSYNC in the OpenGL section.

Besides, my refresh rate is 100Hz so it shouldn't matter.

I'll try D3D mode and see what I get.

PHATBURNER

a.k.a. [DK]_-Outc@st-_
D3D

I find there is no comparison between D3D and OpenGL! I used OpenGL briefly when I had a Win ME problem, and it felt like driving a Ferrari everywhere in 2nd gear LOL.

I would highly recommend getting the latest driver for your G2, as there is a noticeable difference in performance ;)

Let us know how ya get on.........

Last edited:

SilentStrike

Jun 18, 2000
Visit site
Answer

Go into your UnrealTournament.ini, search for this [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice], and change the MaxRefresh (or something like that) from 60 to 100.

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
It's likely your monitor's refresh rate.

My fps are also capped due to the refresh rate on my monitor.

Go to display/advanced settings/monitor and see where the maximum refresh rate is that you can use. At that resolution, I'm willing to bet it's set at 60. If that's the max your monitor will do, then it doesn't matter what videocard your using.

I'm capped at 85fps with my monitor at that resolution, and I could easily get more with my vid card (GF2-Ultra).

Dentaku

Dec 9, 2000
Visit site
Originally posted by Morety
It's likely your monitor's refresh rate.

My fps are also capped due to the refresh rate on my monitor.

Go to display/advanced settings/monitor and see where the maximum refresh rate is that you can use. At that resolution, I'm willing to bet it's set at 60. If that's the max your monitor will do, then it doesn't matter what videocard your using.

I'm capped at 85fps with my monitor at that resolution, and I could easily get more with my vid card (GF2-Ultra).

Nope, like I said in the firt post, the refresh rate is set to 100Hz.

I've even tried to adding stuff to the .INI but it doesn't make any difference.

spyder913

Bringer of FREE BEER
Feb 17, 2000
Seattle, WA, USA
it doesn't really matter, if your max goes above 60 or not cause youre not going to be able to tell the difference. people only care about it for benchmarking purposes. you should be more worried about your minimum fps anyways (which will likely be far under 60, no matter the card)

SilentStrike

Jun 18, 2000
Visit site
heh

Copy and paste everything in your .ini that is in this section.

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]

When I went to the latest OpenGL drivers from Loki, it had a line in the ini that capped the refresh rate to 60. It didn't bother me when playing the game, but looking at the menus put a little strain on my eye.

Dentaku

Dec 9, 2000
Visit site
[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
UseS3TC=1
UseTNT=0
MinDepthBits=16
MaxLogUOverV=8
MaxLogVOverU=8
UseMultiTexture=1
UsePalette=1
UseAlphaPalette=0
ShareLists=0
AlwaysMipmap=0
DoPrecache=0
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=True
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=True
HighDetailActors=True
DetailTextures=True
UseTrilinear=False
MaxAnisotropy=0
SupportsLazyTextures=0

SuRGV

Sep 17, 2000
Visit site
As Boom said, turn of VSYNC. In the Aditional Properties of Geforce should have "OpenGL Settings". Find a line with Vertical SYNC and change to Always off.
My monitor is a crap one. No refresh rates higher than 60 can make screen look right. But in UT, I once get the max FPS of 255 FPS in "the waiting for signals" screen.
No need to change the max rate in the .ini.
TRung

Zaphrod

President of the Universe
Sep 27, 2000
Betelgeuse V
Visit site
is this online or offline? if its online and the other suggestions dont fix it then its your netspeed limiting it. you could try typing at the console "netspeed xxxxx" without the "" and replacing the x's with a number higher than 2600 (which is default for 56k connection and limits to 40FPS) if you have a cable or DSL connection try netspeed 10000 or even 20000 and if it doesnt cause packet loss then its ok.

NutWrench

Nov 27, 1999
Visit site
Try right-clicking on your desktop, select "Properties" and go to "settings-->Advanced" to get at your monitor settings.

Most video card drivers have an option to enable/disabled vertical syncing. If vertical sync is enabled, your graphics card won't send frames to your monitor any faster than the monitor can display them, so your framerate will always top out at whatever refresh rate you've set for the monitor.

I have a Voodoo 3 and when vsync is enabled, I get a rock-solid 60FPS during the Nali Castle flyby (since my monitors refresh rate is 60Mhs). When vsync is disabled that figure goes up and varies between 80-90 FPS.

I noticed some small graphics problems when VSync is disabled. When I go into an area with a flickering light source, especially, I get faint, flickery horizontal banding across my monitor. I'm assuming it's because my cards refresh rate is not in sync with the monitor but I'm too lazy to fix it.

--Nut

spyder913

Bringer of FREE BEER
Feb 17, 2000
Seattle, WA, USA
60Mhs? that's pretty sweet =)

but seriously, that problem is called "tearing" because you are seeing parts of two different images at the same time. If you see bad tearing, you should turn vsync on

Dentaku

Dec 9, 2000
Visit site
Originally posted by SuRGV
As Boom said, turn of VSYNC. In the Aditional Properties of Geforce should have "OpenGL Settings". Find a line with Vertical SYNC and change to Always off.
My monitor is a crap one. No refresh rates higher than 60 can make screen look right. But in UT, I once get the max FPS of 255 FPS in "the waiting for signals" screen.
No need to change the max rate in the .ini.
TRung

Doh!
I recently installed newer Detonators and I didn't change all my settings back.
You're right, you can mess with the .ini all you want but it won't help if you don't have your video card set up properly.

My monitor runs at 120Hz in 1024X768 while in UT but for some reason when VSYNC in on my FPS won't go above 60.01 FPS (half my refresh rate).
After VSYNC was off for OpenGL in the Aditional Properties of Geforce my FPS was able to go way up into the 80s.

Of course none of this matters because it's the min FPS that counts.
Anyting over 60 is fine with me.