UnrealEd... (mac users, read this!)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
Well, A few weaks ago, I contacted Macsoft support about UnrealEd for mac, to know what was going on on that side...

They answered simply:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>From all the information we have, there is no Unreal Tournament Editor in the MAC version.[/quote]

Since this answer didn't realy please me and because it was clear that the tech-sup. who answered didn't know it for sure, I decided to contact WestlakeInteractive.

And yes, I got an answers... whoho!
Here are the majors lines of it:

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 08:44:35 -0500

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>There was never any plan to port UnrealEd for technical reasons. It is written entirely in Visual Basic and is extremely windows specific.[/quote]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>While I don't doubt that the Mac community has something to offer in this regard, there simply isn't any publisher that can afford to pay for such a conversion. To convert the editor in its current state would take at least as much time as porting the original Unreal. It would be a complete rewrite from scratch.

Sorry not to be able to give you better news[/quote]

And here's the contact:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>-----------------
Suellen Adams
Business Coordinator
Westlake Interactive, Inc.[/quote]

/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

At least the second time I got a serious answers and from someone, I hope knows, what's going on at westlake regarding UT!
tongue.gif

So that's about it :\

------------------
--------------- Geogob --------------
Don't let your brain get infiltrated!

[This message has been edited by geogob (edited 04-26-2000).]

Twinkacide

Feb 20, 2000
Visit site
Hrm, I remeber seeing screenshots/info about a C++ version of UEd that's in the works somewhere. I'll have to go look for it. Once that gets done, I imagine they may work on porting to the Mac. It'd be nice, seeing how many Mac users there seem to be in the UT community.

thornz

Inhuman...yes indeed
Dec 14, 1999
outer circle of hades
members.aol.com
it's written...in visual basic? The dumbest freaking language there is?

isnt there a v.basic editor for mac that you could compile a mac version for, or is it not that simple?

I heard something about a conversion, but you know what the best idea is for now...

softwindows (used to offer) a 30 day trial of their windows emulator, I could get a lot done in 30 days.

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
Well I have the full vers of Virtual PC3... runs quite better than softwindows(I was using softwindows before)

It' at the limit to play Half-life... but realy at the limit! more at the limit than that i'm doing 1 frame every second...

AS for UT! ach! I'll only dream it could work! My G3-300 with 128M of ram isn't good enough for to emulate sufficiant PC power to run the ED!

I'll just wait.

Btw, if there is no news about a mac vers. of the UnrealEd until mid-june i'm going to look in the possibity to create one for mac (and perhaps Linux too since i'm going to do most of the work on Unix /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

But for linux, I can't say anything yet really cause I don't know a thing about Ut on linux.

But I may also need some help in doing that! Perhaps there are some good mac programmers around that may want to join the project?

I thought of doing it in C++ and certanly not in Visual Basic... crappy micro$oft standarts!
But if you have a better idea on the language?

Anyway... I'll start by doing some reserch on the ED and the licencing and... of we go!

------------------
--------------- Geogob --------------
Don't let your brain get infiltrated!

thornz

Inhuman...yes indeed
Dec 14, 1999
outer circle of hades
members.aol.com
hey wow, you have a 300 mhz g3 and you can run half life? I have an imac! I'm off to CompUSA!!!!!!

have a mac...
...but not a clue?
http://www.freeyellow.com/members8/thornz/

"e phallous maos e magnu est"
-the dirty monk

Oitucrem

Mar 10, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Visual BASIC??? My GOD, no wonder it's inefficient and buggy. Why didn't they just write it in assembler instead? Would prolly save a helluva lot of system resources.

047 079 105 116 117 099 114 101 109

Oitucrem

Mar 10, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Wish I could :) And.. erm, don't tell the macers, but the less portability thing was kind of part of the point *hides behind sturdy, flameproof rocks*

047 079 105 116 117 099 114 101 109

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
Well, No assembler for me! I got enough of that thing doing hardware programming...

I wich I had epics source code! Arrg. and some reliable information on the engine... I'll have to figure some out by myself I guess :p

BTW, for half-life... no 3D support in VPC and *very* slow... And I doupt it's going to be faster on any othr G3 based computer... perhaps on a G4... oh well HL suck (good pc-only games suck))

--- Geogob ---
The only way out is the C4 way