The collision setup of the ball?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Vectorspace

Jun 15, 2008
How is the collision of the ball set up so it rolls smoothly and still collides with everything?

I'm working on my second ever map, inspired somewhat by DM_Blockland.

Among all the kActors is a giant ball perched on a spike way above the level. If you shoot it it falls off, bounces down and causes havoc as it demolishes everything it hits.

The ball is converted from a BSP sphere, with the Simplified Sphere collistion. This works fine, except it does not collide with shock balls, redeemer missiles, avril missiles and players.

If I use the Sphere Primitive builder brush and save that as the collision, then it does not roll smoothly and tends to get stuck resting on one of its faces.

Any advice on how I can set up my sphere?

I tried opening The Ball mod's maps in the editor so I could see for myself but the editor kept crashing.

Last edited:

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
The ball collision is very advanced actually, because we had a lot of trouble getting it to work, so we ended up with the current very advanced approach. It is basically one big hack.

I do advise trying to open it up in the editor, as it makes checking things up easier. The reason why its crashing is because the editor cannot find the U file. So manually load the U file first, then the level. More info on this in the mapping thread on this forum.

What we do is this:
-Three layers of "ball". One is the visual mesh that you see, but it has no collision at all, it is not even a kactor. This one is 10 000 poly.
-One is an invisible low poly mesh, about 800 poly, that provides the actual collision, this is the actual Kactor that you play with. This one also has 100 percent full per poly collision (read my Modeling 1 tutorial for info on enabling per poly)
-One is a second invisible very very low poly mesh, about 100 poly, that provides player collision.

So in others words, we have split the player collision and all other collision between two meshes, this to prevent players from getting stuck inside the ball when it hits them with high velocity. You may not want to go this far.

The simplified sphere collision sucks, we never use it. It indeed doesnt collide with everything, so use per poly collision instead.

Vectorspace

Jun 15, 2008
Thanks Hourences, that really helped. A higher poly spherical kActor with Simplified Sphere collision and per poly collision works like a charm. I'll look into attaching a simpler collision if player getting stuck becomes an issue.

Thanks again